Author Topic: Ethics of HO Shooting.....  (Read 14301 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Ethics of HO Shooting.....
« Reply #300 on: November 09, 2014, 09:22:25 PM »
:lol

You misunderstood....

It takes far more skill defending yourself (remember that concept)  when you can be fired upon from any quarter of the plane.... And far less skill to defend yourself if you can only be shot at from behind.

I misunderstood nothing but I see a GIANT tailwalker doing his thing right now, lmao!  I NEVER said it wasn't a RL, valid tactic.  That's what you said I said, and that is simply a lie.  I'm all for any RL life tactics and ACM, like turning your engine off in mid-flight.  That's RL life too, right?

You are correct.  Its takes much more skill to dodge the skill-less, lol.  Thank you for supporting my position.    :aok :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #301 on: November 09, 2014, 10:45:08 PM »
I'm all for any RL life tactics and ACM, like turning your engine off in mid-flight.  That's RL life too, right?

I've done it numerous times in real life. If you think that isn't possible, you should probably learn a bit more about aviation. Most ME students become very familiar with the procedure and can do it blindfolded.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #302 on: November 10, 2014, 12:04:51 AM »
I've done it numerous times in real life. If you think that isn't possible, you should probably learn a bit more about aviation. Most ME students become very familiar with the procedure and can do it blindfolded.

I'm certain its possible.

Combat?  WWII?  High performance, military aircraft?  Hmmm?  And when you say YES, please produce the training manuals for ANY country that instructed their pilots to and instructor pilots to teach ENGINE OFF during fight.  Not the exceptions...not some obscure, instance, lmao.  

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #303 on: November 10, 2014, 12:08:34 AM »
P38 pilot killed a 109 while his engine was off  :P :bolt:
See Rule #4

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #304 on: November 10, 2014, 12:11:26 AM »
P38 pilot killed a 109 while his engine was off  :P :bolt:
lmao!  :aok

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #305 on: November 10, 2014, 12:13:14 AM »

Combat?  WWII?  High performance, military aircraft?  Hmmm?  And when you say YES, please produce the training manuals for ANY country that instructed their pilots to and instructor pilots to teach ENGINE OFF during fight.  Not the exceptions...not some obscure, instance, lmao.  

point to any rules in the game that says you cannot turn the engine off during a fight if you feel like it.  actually point to any squadron that says you cannot turn your engine off during the game if you feel like it.  not the exceptions... not some obscure instance lmao.

I think turning engine off is stupid but then again it's their 14.95.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #306 on: November 10, 2014, 12:37:45 AM »

Where did anyone but you say they taught pilots to use engine off during combat? You seem to keep twisting words. They teach engine off and engine restarts in flight school, both military and GA, WWII and now; combat was never a pre-requisite in any of your posts.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #307 on: November 10, 2014, 05:04:02 AM »
Where did anyone but you say they taught pilots to use engine off during combat? You seem to keep twisting words. They teach engine off and engine restarts in flight school, both military and GA, WWII and now; combat was never a pre-requisite in any of your posts.

Earlier, in this very thread, you cited 70 years of military training materials as justification for HO'ing.  What do the 70 years of materials say about turning your engine off in combat?
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Gard06

• Zinc Member
« Reply #308 on: November 10, 2014, 05:34:39 AM »
How did they start up aircraft engines during WWII?   This is from 20 years of RL flying and aviation experience.

It was roughly three different ways:

1) The ground crew inserts a crank into the cowling and they then wind up something that sounds like a flywheel to get it spinning as fast as they can. Then the pilot hits a start up switch and starts the engine. I'm guessing that that start up switch engages a clutch which connects the spinning flywheel to the engine, transferring the power stored up in the spinning flywheel to the engine, turning it over.

2) The pilot hits a switch which ignites a gas cartridge (a cartridge with gun powder in it?) generating pressurized gas, and this in turn (through a turbine?) gets a flywheel spinning. The pilot then, when he hears the flywheel spinning at top speed, hits another switch, which engages a clutch connecting the spinning flywheel to the engine, turning it over.

3) A ground crew member plugs into the cowling what looks like an electric cable connected to a small portable generator or a large battery(?). The electrical power from this generator or battery then provides power to an electric motor which gets a flywheel spinning, as described above, or provides power to a regular electric starter, as on a car, which then turns over the engine getting it started. I know that on the B-29, a small so called "put put" generator was installed right on the plane, powering what looks/sounds like an electric engine starter.

The start up process  for radial engines vs. water-cooled engines was basically the same. (Besides the normal process of clearing out any accumulated oil in the lower cylinders by manually turning the engine over.)

These old engines could not just turn off and on in flight.  The re-start process in almost all aircraft in WW2 is a 3 minute or longer procedure, and required the pilots complete attention.  That being said, the aircraft would lose power and would need to glided for some distance before re-firing.   In flight power lose would be an emergency situation very fast.     Then again here in AH,  we have are cartoon pilots that think this was an ACM tactic.   It wasn't.

Aco 1/58 Avn H.A.A.F  18th Airborne.

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #309 on: November 10, 2014, 05:49:48 AM »
Nice!!! lol

Lt. Uhura's native language, yes?
In order of my posts, Hebrew, then Irish Gallic, then Zulu  :)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #310 on: November 10, 2014, 06:07:40 AM »
Have y'all beat for languages
   לעצור את החכות ... לחזור על נושא
I have no idea what was your original sentence, but this makes no sense in Hebrew. 
Says something like: "stop the fishing rods... repeat over subject" :lol
Google translate FTW!
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #311 on: November 10, 2014, 07:51:46 AM »
Earlier, in this very thread, you cited 70 years of military training materials as justification for HO'ing.  What do the 70 years of materials say about turning your engine off in combat?

Good you should ask! A P-38 actually achieved a kill with his engines off, after which the pilot then did an air restart and continued to dogfight.

Ain't history grand?
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #312 on: November 10, 2014, 08:35:29 AM »
Good you should ask! A P-38 actually achieved a kill with his engines off, after which the pilot then did an air restart and continued to dogfight.

Ain't history grand?

lol... Robin Olds didn't do that on purpose... he made a mistake because he got giddy to kill Germans.  He dropped his tanks and didn't have the advantage of we have in game of the fuel selector switching automatically, so his engines quit.  Olds credits himself as the only man to ever get a kill while gliding, too.  

Allow me to rephrase the question you're now going to avoid.  Please cite for the audience where the 70 years of military aviation training materials you possess teach pilots to purposefully cut their engines in a dogfight.  

Thank you.   :salute
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #313 on: November 10, 2014, 08:45:38 AM »
Earlier, in this very thread, you cited 70 years of military training materials as justification for HO'ing.  What do the 70 years of materials say about turning your engine off in combat?

Zactly for both Skyyr (who always seems to conveniently forget the context in which he types) and Semp who didnt bother to read any of Skyyrs autisticly, rigid opus on ACM doctrine and generally accepted tactics.  Another fishtail.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:48:01 AM by Changeup »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #314 on: November 10, 2014, 09:52:53 AM »
Little did I know when I was taking flying lessons and the instructor did an unexpected engine kill and told me to find a safe place to put her down that I was being instructed in ACM. Go fig.