Author Topic: Track IR Combat Debut  (Read 866 times)

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Re: Track IR Combat Debut
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »
I am considering getting trackIR, what is it like using it though? If I'm not comfortable with it I will not go for it.

Like is it a headset all in one, with mic, earphones, or a small device attached to it?
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »
I am considering getting trackIR, what is it like using it though? If I'm not comfortable with it I will not go for it.

Like is it a headset all in one, with mic, earphones, or a small device attached to it?

Mine (TrackIR 4) uses a vector clip which clips to a hat that I wear. I'm not sure how the others work (Pro clip and whatever else there may be), but the vector clip works just fine for me. It will take quite a while to get used to if you've never used any kind of head tracking before. For me it was maybe a month or 2 before I was as comfortable with it as I was with my hat switch. Once you get used to it though you will NEVER want to go back!  :aok

Nice video vudu  :aok Got the stick, pedals and now TrackIR. Next step is dual throttles!  :devil

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
Does the downloaded software takes lots of space?

And moving your head around while flying..how is that?

My screen is only 15" so turning my head maybe 15 degrees to check six will be something.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 11:56:03 AM »
Like LaTrobe says - it takes a while to get comfortable with it, but you will not want to go back to hat switches after you get there.

The monitor will work fine.  The head movement is slight and very adjustable.  You can adjust to your taste.

Several of us would offer our profile.. mine is actually based on LaTrobes.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:02:23 PM »
how much does a good track IR cost? I kinda wanna wait until VR is fully supported and just use that instead.
See Rule #4

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 12:32:42 AM »
Buy TrackIR.  Even if it's off eBay from a camel salesman... buy it.  If you hate it you can get rid of it for close to what you paid.  If you love it you will thank the Lord and stars above that you were introduced to such a lovely product.  <---- real talk true story
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
bought my Track IR for right at 100 bucks the software take almost no space and is easy to understand. Got mine from Amazon its Track IR 4 with the vector clip which is the non PRO version which attaches to your headset.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 08:31:37 AM »
I'm glad that you took the TrackIR plunge, Vudu.

You seem to have caught on very quickly and it only gets better.

:salute

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »
TrackIR was the best thing that ever happened for me with AH. I have TrackIR 5 with the pro clip. I recommend getting the pro clip if you wear a headset. The pro clip uses IR lights to transmit back to the receiver which makes it a lot more accurate.

The only downfall to TrackIR is.... Well, i haven't found one yet...

:salute
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
 :aok

Offline noman

• Copper Member
      • http://yahoo.com
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »
I have had my Track-Ir 5 for about 6 weeks and it made a huge difference for me. Especially when trying to follow a con going up in front of me. Instead of looking straight up now i can follow the con all they way through his trajectory and usually get a gun solution earlier than before. The only draw back i have of now is checking my six. All i see is the seat no matter how i turn my head I can't see around it. Any suggestions? Right now I pause the Track Ir which allows me to use my pinkie switch to look behind me like I did when I used the hat switch.
Quote by Delirium:
Frankly, I'd rather be a fluffer at a gay porcupine film company than be a CM.
God bless the CMs for putting up with this community.
Sic Pups        MA
412th FNVG   FSO

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 03:31:16 PM »
I have had my Track-Ir 5 for about 6 weeks and it made a huge difference for me. Especially when trying to follow a con going up in front of me. Instead of looking straight up now i can follow the con all they way through his trajectory and usually get a gun solution earlier than before. The only draw back i have of now is checking my six. All i see is the seat no matter how i turn my head I can't see around it. Any suggestions? Right now I pause the Track Ir which allows me to use my pinkie switch to look behind me like I did when I used the hat switch.

Lean back, center your view, lean forward and to the side, turn your head. See if that helps.