Author Topic: Need new Rudder Pedals  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: Need new Rudder Pedals
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 11:51:58 AM »
The MFG Crosswinds are IMO the best of the "aftermarket custom" rudder pedals.  I've had a good set of simpeds, which are ok, tried the Slaws, and bought the Crosswinds.  Nearly 500$ Canadian after shipping and tax, but worth it.

I've had a couple sets of CH pedals, added to that another set of the original "CH Pedals" which didn't really move, just had pedals that depressed.  The final set I've had is the Saitek Combat pedals.  I would rate the CH pedals at the bottom, followed by the Saitek Combats (really aren't that bad for the $, a lot of metal in the construction, good pedal width and shape compared to CH imo as well).  Obviously you get what you pay for, and 125$ CH, 200$ Saitek Combat (if you can find them now), 400$ Simped, and 500$ Crosswind.  I still use CH with one system that has an entirely CH setup specifically for AH, as I find the CH sticks to be better for precision shooting required in a WW2 game, and use a Warty w/Crosswinds for all my DCS stuff on my primary gaming box.

It's a very subjective thing, but if like most people you aren't crazy enough to spend 500$ on a single flight sim device, it really comes down to either the CH or Saiteks now.  Saitek has a lot of pedals, the Cessna Pros, the regular rudder pedals, and the Combats, which again, are harder to find now.  I would try and find the Combat pedals in your shoes, if not, settle for another set of some kind, or, as others have said, take apart your CH set and blow the crap out of your pots and see where you land with that.  Odds are you probably have at least one working set left right now anyhow.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »
I don't know, the usual way I guess. They spike on the right side.

Do you have them plugged into a powered USB hub, or just into your computer directly?  Plugging your joystick and pedals into a powered hub can solve spiking.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 01:52:10 PM »
This is probably not the problem but will throw it in anyways.  Watch for accidental toe brake actuation.  Sometimes the way I put my feet on the pedals I accidentally apply pressure to one of the toe brakes.  That leads to some interesting ground loops.

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 06:36:58 AM »

They have arrived. Custom made 109 peds.  :devil

Dumped my CH in an instant. They come at a cost but are worth every penny.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 05:28:20 PM »
If the work as good as they look, I'll be looking into a pair myself.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 08:06:00 PM »
The slaws are fantastic, I don't think I'll ever need another set
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »
Where can youi buy a set like those??
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2014, 03:59:09 PM »
Where can youi buy a set like those??

Hit him up on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/slaw.device

Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2014, 08:12:28 PM »
I wanted the Slaw Pedals badly...but sadly they will not fit in the Obutto Ozone cockpit.  It's OK...the VKB pedals are very nice and cheaper too!
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2014, 01:21:03 AM »
It was a tough choice between the Slaw109s and the Crosswinds - I read a lot of reviews, several from guys who had both, and ended up going with the Crosswinds, which were more $ by a bit, but would have been happy with the 109s as well.  There are pros and cons to both, few cons tho really overall.  I wouldn't mind taking a look at the VKB pedals either, just to compare, as they are around 1/2 the price.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
It was a tough choice between the Slaw109s and the Crosswinds - I read a lot of reviews, several from guys who had both, and ended up going with the Crosswinds, which were more $ by a bit, but would have been happy with the 109s as well.  There are pros and cons to both, few cons tho really overall.  I wouldn't mind taking a look at the VKB pedals either, just to compare, as they are around 1/2 the price.

In "action":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4AEoNszaBo

Be sure to check out the precision in the right hand window....these things use advanced sensors comparible to the Slaws or Crosswinds.

Two "closeups":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwigDKDUjPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLg_B_JUkE4

Kinda wish I could speak Russian for the last one...   ;)

Note that T-Rudder pedals use a "cam" much like the Crosswinds.  The major difference is the Crosswinds have multiple cams you can swap in so they are somewhat customizable in feel.  

Also note in the first video that the T-Rudder pedals do not work like ordinary rudder pedals....you don't push them with your legs...you step down on them like a car pedal.   They were made primarily for people who fly at a desk but they do work in a "cockpit" setup as well.  It takes a little getting used to but the transition is fairly quick (took me about an hour or two to get used to the action).

While I wish I could have bought the Slaw pedals I'm very happy with these....easily the best set of pedals I've ever owned from a precision and quality perspective.  I sometimes miss having toe brakes but it was not a deal killer for me.....and I'm working on possibly modding some either on or near the T-Rudders through load cell sensors wired to my Leo Bodnar USB controller card.   :D

BTW...they ship fast when in stock.  Took me about a week to get them once I placed the order.  Ships from China.

Hope that helps!

Edit:  Link to T-Rudder assembly manual below.

http://flightsimcontrols.com/download/420/
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:09:39 AM by Zerstorer »

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »
Awesome, awesome info Fulcrum, thanks for taking the time, that made things pretty simple.  Once I get mine I'll compare notes, but from what you've said, they look to me to be the best $/buck out there for a custom pedal. I'm truly impressed.  I have the MFG with my DCS/Offline/Non AH box right now, and have been looking to replace the peds on the other 2 gaming systems we run - ordering today, hopefully they ship soon when they get stock.

What's really sold me is the movement you mention Fulcrum.  CH made a pedal long ago called simply "Ch Pedals".  Ack Ack remembers them. They have the same sort of movement, instead of moving your leg, it's just your ankle/foot that depresses them.  Now, to each their own, but I always found them WAY, WAY more precise for lining up shots back in the early AH1 days.  You can fine tune your ankle/foot a lot more than your leg IMO, it's more of a fine motor skill than a gross one, like moving your entire leg from the hip on down.  This leads to more accuracy and precision in lining up shots, at least it did for me back then.  This cinched it for me, hands down, and I'm ordering 2 sets.  With shipping to Canada it's 192 E per set, which is well under 1/2 what the Crosswinds cost, and likely will be more to me liking due to their axis of motion.  I'm quite excited about these tbh.  In fact, considering the high cost of Saitek's Combat pedals now, these are only about 10 to 15$ more, a no brainer IMO.

Again, thanks for the write up and taking time to give your experience and opinion with them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 11:04:36 AM by Gman »

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 02:57:24 PM »
What's really sold me is the movement you mention Fulcrum.  CH made a pedal long ago called simply "Ch Pedals".  Ack Ack remembers them. They have the same sort of movement, instead of moving your leg, it's just your ankle/foot that depresses them.  Now, to each their own, but I always found them WAY, WAY more precise for lining up shots back in the early AH1 days.  You can fine tune your ankle/foot a lot more than your leg IMO, it's more of a fine motor skill than a gross one, like moving your entire leg from the hip on down.  This leads to more accuracy and precision in lining up shots, at least it did for me back then.  This cinched it for me, hands down, and I'm ordering 2 sets.  With shipping to Canada it's 192 E per set, which is well under 1/2 what the Crosswinds cost, and likely will be more to me liking due to their axis of motion.  I'm quite excited about these tbh.  In fact, considering the high cost of Saitek's Combat pedals now, these are only about 10 to 15$ more, a no brainer IMO.

Again, thanks for the write up and taking time to give your experience and opinion with them.

No problem! Glad I could help. :aok 

I've been around flight simming a LONG time so I remember the older CH pedals....I liked them better than the newer ones in fact.  I've considered buying a pair for my son when the next one pops up on eBay....fairly cheap and easy to mod to USB.  I'm also looking for a set of the Suncom F15 throttle / stick to mod for him as well.  Told ya I've been around this stuff awhile.  ;)

BTW...I find much of what you said about lining up shots and final motor skills to be accurate.  And yes, they really are only slightly more expensive than the Saitek pedals.  I can also say from experience they are FAR better.  A friend of mine had a set of the Saiteks which developed some problems.  As the pedals were out of warranty I volunteered to open them up and take a look.  What a mess.  Very poorly engineered and some really sloppy solder work!  Add in the subpar potentiometers (something I find with most saitek products I've used) and there you go.  Complete garbage IMHO. 

He ended up buying some CH pedals and we just trashed the unit except for the metal foot rests. I might use those one day to mod something....yes, I'm a packrat...  :D

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 07:05:50 AM »
A couple of links about pots and pedals that may help.  - I am just tying to get new pots for my Fighterstick as the pitch axis is just starting to play up after years of use! 

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php/topic/7609-replacement-pots/

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php/topic/7534-ch-products-pro-pedals-disassembly-guide/

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »
A couple of links about pots and pedals that may help.  - I am just tying to get new pots for my Fighterstick as the pitch axis is just starting to play up after years of use! 

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php/topic/7609-replacement-pots/

http://www.ch-hangar.com/forum/index.php/topic/7534-ch-products-pro-pedals-disassembly-guide/

Damn.  I had some spare CH pots I'd have happily given to you had I known, but gave them out to Max a few months ago when he was having similar problems.

If you or anyone else needs spare springs for the CH pedals just PM me.  I have at least 3 of each...bought them years ago as spares for my old CH pedals but never ended up needing them.  Note the CH rudder pedal brake springs are also used in the CH Fighterstick.