Author Topic: Dish / Direct tv any suggestions  (Read 643 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Dish / Direct tv any suggestions
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 10:05:33 PM »
DTV    = 1080P, already started 4K on demand movies, will do some 4k transmissions in early 2015.
Dish   =  720P
Cable =  720p. keep the internet for sure.
I'll ask a rep I know for costs on 8 tv's tomorrow.

I get 1080 with dish.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 07:58:44 AM »
     You might want to double check your source when it comes to your posting on who provides 1080 to 720, what you posted is false.
Nope it isn't

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 07:59:19 AM »
I get 1080 with dish.

semp
As requested I did some more reading into it and it seems both make the 1080p claim but more often they are in 1080i. Mainly the "on demand" movie channels being in 1080p and the regular channels in either 1080i or 720p.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:22:47 AM by xbrit »

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »
I've had them all,, Dish is the easiest to use and I think, the best for TV,,
 that said, I have cable ,,,,for Internet and TV as well as land line phone,, ( have to have a land line),
no need to have two service providers that I can see,
, I've been hearing a lot of stuff about online digital service that I like, sat TV and cable feed TV are going to be obsolete soon enough and those big contracts suck, no matter who you use,, cable is a bit high but monthly, I can quit at anytime!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »
Quite frankly, video resolution is not as big an issue as one might think.  It all depends on the quality of the video compression, and the source content as well.  I have seen 1080p content that looked like crap, when compared to 720p content.  I saw some recent 1080p content over a cable network that looked horrible.

1080p certainly has the capability to look better than anything less, but it can also look worse.

When I built my new home, I had it wired with Cat 6, throughout.  Given we DVR everything, I went with the Hopper+Sling anda Joey in the bedroom, and one in the garage.  Been very happy with the setup.  We can access our recorded stuff from any TV.  The Joey's do not have a hard drive to fail, which is a plus and minus.  When the Hopper drive fails, it will take all our content down with it.

I wish DiSH would design their units with user replaceable hard drives.

The reason I went with DiSh, to start with, was the local cable provider was abysmal.  I am with them today, because my only other option is AT&T, and I refuse to give AT&T one penny of my money.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 10:01:50 AM »
    Currently have Vios (Verizon) TV, Internet and phone. While it has been good service it's not your cheapest option.

Was with DTV for 8 years or better and service was as good Except when weather was an issue. The early dishes were worse with the picture going out during severe thunder storms or the heavy snow some have up north. The newer dishes were better but if snow sticks to it or covers it you have to clear it.
    Hit my neighbors house a few times throwing snow balls at it.  :D  I wanted to get a supersoaker filled with winter windshield washer fluid.  :rock
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
I've had Directv for about 10 years now. I have to say that not once have I had a billing issue or other problem that was not a hardware failure and I've only had one of those. Considering that my system is in my RV and we travel constantly I think that's pretty darn good reliability. About 9 out of 10 RVers that I've seen are direct customers because of the reliablity of the service, billing and friendliness to the RV community. I do know that Dish is busy courting RVers now with a very heavily discounted sat receiver / auto seek antenna bundle. To me that wasn't worth changing. Prior to my current sat antenna I had to point the dish every time we moved. Now I just plop the unit down outside, hook up one coax, push a couple buttons and it does it for me in less than 5 minutes. Used it from AZ, to WA, to MA, to Carolinas, to the gulf coast and back to AZ. No problems getting signals.

Weather will be an issue with both sat systems. Block the antenna with enough rain and the signal will cut out period end of story. If you live in snow country that will also play hobb with the antenna.

We currently have the lower resolution signal but may move up to higher resolution soon since we now have a far newer TV. FWIW I'm just not in a hurry as the picture is just fine the way it is. I'm more interested in the recording featuer of the reciever.

Direct had the better chanel line up for us with our favorites. We love Walking Dead and at least for a while it wasn't available on Dish. I don't know about now.

Up to 2013 we used Hughesnet for internet. Using the same dish with a small adapter I was able to get TV and internet since my internet bird was within 2 degrees of Direct's main bird. (99 &101) I dropped hughesnet since they were never friendly to RVers (I was an installer) and they are changing their system to spot beaming so you can't travel and use it as time goes on. My modem was over 7 years old and there were no more new replacements for it that were not spot beam systems. We now use our cell phones and tablets for internet with Verizon. I have 15 gigs of data and that's plenty for me. I can get by with 8 and did so for a year but competition has been good for customers. :) I just tether my table top computer to the phone and go. Simple painless and it works great with the coverage they have. Most RVers use Verizon if they travel extensively. Verizon has been extremely RV friendly.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
Be wary of any promotions for the first year. After that year is up, watch your bill jump by a lot
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline justIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »
Be wary of any promotions for the first year. After that year is up, watch your bill jump by a lot
like right now top 120 for $44.95 a month for the first year then the second year goes to $66,99 a month I believe, stil cheaper then cable.

Offline justIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
Quite frankly, video resolution is not as big an issue as one might think.  It all depends on the quality of the video compression, and the source content as well.  I have seen 1080p content that looked like crap, when compared to 720p content.  I saw some recent 1080p content over a cable network that looked horrible.

1080p certainly has the capability to look better than anything less, but it can also look worse.

When I built my new home, I had it wired with Cat 6, throughout.  Given we DVR everything, I went with the Hopper+Sling anda Joey in the bedroom, and one in the garage.  Been very happy with the setup.  We can access our recorded stuff from any TV.  The Joey's do not have a hard drive to fail, which is a plus and minus.  When the Hopper drive fails, it will take all our content down with it.

I wish DiSH would design their units with user replaceable hard drives.

The reason I went with DiSh, to start with, was the local cable provider was abysmal.  I am with them today, because my only other option is AT&T, and I refuse to give AT&T one penny of my money.
I spoke with other techs and they say if you buy a external hard drive and not have used it on any other device and plug into the Hopper Sling you can transfer all your recordings.

Offline Biggamer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 07:30:19 PM »
i have had both and Directv is way better imho and if you are a sports fan hands down Directv
G3-MF