Author Topic: Dish / Direct tv any suggestions  (Read 664 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Dish / Direct tv any suggestions
« on: November 17, 2014, 04:18:02 PM »
I currently have cable but am not all that happy with the company we have. Unfortunately they are the only game in town and am stuck with them. I've been reading up on Dish and Direct tv and was wondering if anyone has them and has any feedback.  It would just be for TV as I'd keep the cable provider for their internet service only. 

Soooo any feedback.    Not sure if it matters but I have 8 TVs in the house. 

Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Dish / Direct tv any suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:29:59 PM »
I have had DiSH for over 20 years, and would recommend them.  DirecTV is trying to be bought by AT&T, which would keep me away from them.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:31:46 PM »
I have directv.  Its pricy but has good service.  The recorders have about a 2-3 year life.  Bad weather south of you and service goes down.  Picture quality is good.  Recording options are good.

If you have a comcast like recorder you will like directv better.  

Make sure you don't get screwed by local stations.  

The dish is not too pretty to look at.

Overall i can't say directv will be better than cable.  It just may have better options.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »
I have had dish and directv at one time or another.  only difference I see is that directv will give you more info on the shows that you have.  price is about the same but with dish if you have a friend ask for a referal and get 50 dollars off.  if you dont have a friend that has dish send me a pm I'll give you one :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:43:55 PM »
What about running multiple tvs?  Like I said I have a mess of them t/o the house and would have to be able to watch 4 or 5 at the same time.  Is that possible with satalite?

Thanks Semp may take you up on that
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 04:44:23 PM »
We cut the cable cord at our house.

Have a Smart Samsung TV, Roku and an HDTV antenna for local air stations (in HD).

Love Roku. [pay for Netflix, hulu+, Amazon prime.  may get HBO once it decouples from carriers.)  Fav Roko channels: Nowhere TV and TED and Retro Tech Time Machine.   Sure there are more I would like but have not tried them yet.  (BTW: TED on Samsung is better)

Samsung ok,  but would probably not buy a Samsung for its "smart" features again.  Would for picture quality though.

Friends who have tried Apple TV or Chrome TV have not been impressed with either.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 05:44:09 PM »
not sure exactly how much the pricing is for 8 tv's.  but how the tv's are connected now are a bit different than a couple of years ago.  before you needed one box and that mean 1 extra charge per tv.  I only own 2 tv's and pay the same.  up to how many I am not sure.  just be aware of one thing.  the price they give you, you can actually ask for a lower price and if they dont, hang up and call back.  they all do it, you just have to talk to the right person.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 05:46:46 PM »
Baily how do you do your Internet connection?

I do a kludge with ATT and Comcast because I'm lazy and the wife likes the shopping channels and sports. And I don't trust Comcast for internet. But, I've been running a Sony Blueray\Internet feed box like Roku. I watch a lot of YouTube anime movies over my ATT VDSL. Cable TV with hundreds of channels is kind of boring unless you pay through the nose for very specific channels that I can find their movies on the internet for free. Heck I might look into Dish if it's got the same feeds as Comcast for a better price.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 05:55:16 PM »
My Internet will stay the same Thru my cable provider, but I'm dropping the TV end of it. The internet service is great but the tv line up not so much.  They aren't like a big provider (ie verizon or comcast) but are a small regional service. They are moving to a different format and are going to require me to get a box for every TV in the house to the tune of 16.99 per box plus the service for just basic cable....now my cable is run to a central splitter with a cable signal booster and all the rooms with TVs have a cable jack in the room ...at that price per box and only basic cable I don't think I'll be giving them another dollar for their cable tell you the truth.   Typing this on my iphone so I apologize for the lousy sentences
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 05:58:01 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 06:26:09 PM »
DirecTv > Dish Network No contest.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »
I mostly cut the cord, but I have cable internet with COX so they didn't unplug my house from the wire.  That means I get basic cable not much different from using a TV antenna for "free".  For everything else I use my smart BD player which plays most of the online services including amazon prime, Netflix, hulu, etc.  That's enough for me.

I like Mike Rowe's new show on CNN but apparently DISH cut CNN over a contract dispute.  You'll get that kind of nonsense sooner or later with any of the service providers.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 08:34:28 PM »
DTV    = 1080P, already started 4K on demand movies, will do some 4k transmissions in early 2015.
Dish   =  720P
Cable =  720p. keep the internet for sure.
I'll ask a rep I know for costs on 8 tv's tomorrow.

Offline justIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 09:05:03 PM »
As a Dish Network installer, I would recommend Dish. from all the horror stories I hear day to day about Direct TV, and right now top 120 for 44.95 a month. I do not suggest the wireless Joeys they are not up to par. Do not get the Hopper if you want get the hopper with sling. DO NOT get the 922,301,311. If you do a lot of recordings go with Hopper with sling, 722 is far best being a dual tuner and DVR.

Offline justIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »
with 8 TV you can get 3 receiver's at $7 for each one, anything over 3 you will have to buy after that. So you can get 3 dual tuner receiver's and that will run 6 TV. The 222 is also a dual tuner but no DVR but that woul be the cheapest to purchase

Offline justIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »
DTV    = 1080P, already started 4K on demand movies, will do some 4k transmissions in early 2015.
Dish   =  720P
Cable =  720p. keep the internet for sure.
I'll ask a rep I know for costs on 8 tv's tomorrow.
     You might want to double check your source when it comes to your posting on who provides 1080 to 720, what you posted is false.