Author Topic: Can we do something about suicide HQ bombers?  (Read 5553 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Re: Can we do something about suicide HQ bombers?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 08:37:53 AM »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel nothing but sympathy for the bomber pilots in AH. They have two choices;

1. Fly a long distance and hit a strategic target. The HQ usually gets resupplied very quickly for more bomber perks for the C47 pilots than the original bomber pilot received for dropping the target to begin with. Worse yet, the target can be resupplied and fully functional before that bomber even lands his sortie.

2. Hit airfields for a much shorter distance. No matter what anyone does, the hangers the bomber drops are down for 15 minutes regardless.
------------------

If I had to suggest anything it would be to make HQ responsible for dot dar only. Make local airfield radar towers more numerous, increase their range to 75 miles,  and have that represented by dar bar only in that area. This would also have the limited ability to allow airborne radar platforms to fill in the dot dar and bar dar gaps.

(more later, I'm getting called away)
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 09:29:32 AM »
Doing away with drones, or perking them, will likely mean the end of level bombing in the MAs. With how quickly hangars pop, unless you had three people all willing to bomb at once (Good luck most nights...) or a LOT of perks to burn (Bombers fall to fighters quite often in this game) people will not fly level bombers.

The last time I did an HQ run, it took 30,000lbs of bombs on that central building. Is this no longer the case?

It was also well over an hour of flight time just to get to the target, with plenty of interceptors in Me-163s. They made it hell, and I know I never even made it to the target... This sounds like inadequate defense to me.
1. We had bombers in AH long before drone formations were added. People flew them and they were actually harder to kill because they maneuvered more. The difference is that the bomber player did not get "3 strikes" and could not shut down a small field by himself.

2. Bomber perks are MUCH easier to accumulate than fighter perks, even for the noobs. Anyone that is not losing their drones consistently should be able to afford them.

3. I am talking about a token perk cost of order 1 per drone, or generally something that a below average player can still maintain if he brings his bombers to land at a reasonable rate - a tweaking matter.

4. All perk planes are free if you land them.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel nothing but sympathy for the bomber pilots in AH. They have two choices;

1. Fly a long distance and hit a strategic target. The HQ usually gets resupplied very quickly for more bomber perks for the C47 pilots than the original bomber pilot received for dropping the target to begin with. Worse yet, the target can be resupplied and fully functional before that bomber even lands his sortie.

2. Hit airfields for a much shorter distance. No matter what anyone does, the hangers the bomber drops are down for 15 minutes regardless.
------------------

If I had to suggest anything it would be to make HQ responsible for dot dar only. Make local airfield radar towers more numerous, increase their range to 75 miles,  and have that represented by dar bar only in that area. This would also have the limited ability to allow airborne radar platforms to fill in the dot dar and bar dar gaps.

(more later, I'm getting called away)

But it doesn't happen like that. Most guys fly in noe dodging radar circles and bail as soon as their bombs hit. It shouldn't take 6 guys the same amount of time to repair it as it does for one guy to take it down.

With a set time like the hangars at least the bomber pilots can time their drop if they have any skill and pretty much keep them down.

All I'm saying, with people leaving as it is why give them one more reason to leave?

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 10:49:40 AM »
I too have taken up a formation of bombers solely to take down a HQ or target knowing that it would probably result getting shot down.

And you know, bombing raids in WWII were sometimes suicide runs...  and how different is that in Aces High other than squealing that it's 'gaming the game'?  If I had the time, and if I knew that I could strike and do damage to an enemy country, I would do it again. No.Questions.Asked.

Just saying.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:51:45 AM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
Doing away with drones, or perking them, will likely mean the end of level bombing in the MAs. With how quickly hangars pop, unless you had three people all willing to bomb at once (Good luck most nights...) or a LOT of perks to burn (Bombers fall to fighters quite often in this game) people will not fly level bombers.

The last time I did an HQ run, it took 30,000lbs of bombs on that central building. Is this no longer the case?

It was also well over an hour of flight time just to get to the target, with plenty of interceptors in Me-163s. They made it hell, and I know I never even made it to the target... This sounds like inadequate defense to me.

There is was a time where there were no drones. I bombed a lot back then since I wasn't very good in fighters. I did fairly well without the drones.
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »
I very rarely forget anything. A bailing buff in mid war and dropping HQ in late war are vastly different things. That buff that bails on you only spoils YOUR fun, where dropping HQ spoils everyone's fun.

So only when they bail with me it's just me who is affected  :headscratch:. I see this in all arenas not just one & it's prevalent over strats more so than HQ. The effect of that is three hours of down time. That is many more C-47 trips to a strat than HQ. So the impact is just as bad for every one. That aside welcome to the club of asking for change on this issue. You realize now that bailing bombers are a problem & the $15.00 argument of letting them play as they wish is not always the best for everyone else.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:18 PM »
Ready now to thank your stars and garters for high alt fighters?  :devil
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 01:38:14 PM »
Why did bomber drones get added to AH?

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
The easiest solution to this problem is to double or even triple the amount of ords to knock out the HQ.  Start off at Double, then work around that.  That's my take on it.  I myself liked doing HQ runs every now and again, but it always seemed too easy to me when I can do it by myself.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 03:40:19 PM »
The easiest solution to this problem is to double or even triple the amount of ords to knock out the HQ.  Start off at Double, then work around that.  That's my take on it.  I myself liked doing HQ runs every now and again, but it always seemed too easy to me when I can do it by myself.

true a single set of bombers shouldnt be able to take out hq.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 04:37:21 PM »
So only when they bail with me it's just me who is affected  :headscratch:. I see this in all arenas not just one & it's prevalent over strats more so than HQ. The effect of that is three hours of down time. That is many more C-47 trips to a strat than HQ. So the impact is just as bad for every one. That aside welcome to the club of asking for change on this issue. You realize now that bailing bombers are a problem & the $15.00 argument of letting them play as they wish is not always the best for everyone else.

No in your situation, over strats as you said while it DOES effect everyone not many notice. Ord takes longer to resupply itself isn't as big a deal as you have a number of options to bring it back up either at the strat, or just the base you need, and even then you can drive or fly supplys in from a number of surrounding bases.  It only effect the base that has the damage, you can still up ord a base back from the one that is damaged.

With the dar it is all or nothing. You ussually have little or no warning as the guy runs NOE till he starts the HQ flashing and even if you launch the fastest plane from the nearest base you can't get there in time to stop him. BANG dot and bar dar is down for 20-30 minutes depending on how many run supplies. You can't use dar from another base to guess where they might be coming from because there is no dar period. If they are dumb enough to fly through a circle to get a base flashing then you get something, but half the time it's a bailing buff doing a milk run  :neener:

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »
Why did bomber drones get added to AH?

IIRC, drones were added when the bomb sight was made (more) realistic.  After a short time passed, the complaints about the difficulty of the new bomb sight resulted in its elimination and a return to the old, simple sight (the more accurate sight still exists in AvA and some events), but the drones stayed.

- oldman

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
Since we are talking radar ... i understand HQ centralizes all rad info for everyone by why individual radar station looses visual dar? Each pilot uping from the base should benefit from their individual radar station. :old:
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 07:50:58 PM »
On a side note,, I shot down a fellow chasing my bombers the other day, finished my bomb runs then bailed only to have that same gentleman PM me about his disgust of my " bailing bombers" and robbing him of his kills,,,
I'm not sure I need to keep them up until after two or three flights, some one finally shoots them all down?
Flying since tour 71.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 09:40:43 PM »
On a side note,, I shot down a fellow chasing my bombers the other day, finished my bomb runs then bailed only to have that same gentleman PM me about his disgust of my " bailing bombers" and robbing him of his kills,,,
I'm not sure I need to keep them up until after two or three flights, some one finally shoots them all down?

maybe there should be some incentive to have you try to land them back to base?