Author Topic: Three Capitals in 24 Hours.  (Read 1045 times)

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
Three Capitals in 24 Hours.
« on: November 27, 2014, 02:02:18 AM »
My first ever trip overseas which was not paid for by the military. Never been on holiday as such, never wanted to. But my other half is a bit holoday mad and after 4 years together she persuaded me to go abroad without carrying a weapon.

Left Lichfield in Staffordshire at 07:30 21st Nov, train journey to London, Eurotunnel to Paris, fortunately we only had to stay in the 'City of Love' for a couple of hours, spent the entire time checking pockets and growling  at the hordes of Eastern Europeans in fake leather jackets constantly following us around trying to rob us.

Haven't been to France since I had a 1 day trip as a schoolboy nearly 30 years ago, but the same people were there and still had not taken their customer service courses.

We then climbed aboard the Paris to Berlin Sleeper train for our 13 hours to Berlin. When I say Sleeper Train, I refer to the wreck that was discovered in an Eastern Block train yard after the wall came down and then put back in service. The "Schlafwagen" is rather spuriously named, with 6 people per cabin (thank goodness we only had 3), seats came from a T34 and were non adjustable, so we ended up sleeping on the floor. Managing to get to sleep every couple of hours to be woken by a torch wielding German rozzer shouting "Polizei!"

Arrived in Berlin HauptBahnHof and we immediately fell in love with the city. Spectacular sights, the people are courteous and helpful, even with my limited command of German we were able to tear around the city on the fantastic public transport system, food was incredible, beer even more so. I served in Germany but never visited Berlin. We even decided to stay another night rather than endure another trip on the torture train, then flew home to a drizzling England the following day after many Gluhwein mit Rum and Currywurst.

Mrs Danny is now looking for a job over there, I am going to take a higher German language course and am checking about the cross over between my current course and whether I can also find work in the city. Already booking next years holiday, I am converted.

I am amused however by the fact that no one bats an eyelid if you are to order a curry soaked sausage with a stein of beer at 8 o'clock in the morning, but we were looked at as though we were insane when I ordered two espresso's and strudel with vanilla cream for breakfast :lol
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Re: Three Capitals in 24 Hours.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 04:37:47 AM »
Berlin is one of our (Wife and I) favorite cities.  Agree with everything you described (excluding Duncan Doghnuts :rofl).
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 06:03:44 AM »
Berlin is in fact teh dog's danglybits.

Was there a particular reason for choosing the sleeper train? Reckon you could have got there quicker (though not so cheap) via Brussels and the German ICE train.

Same dodgy characters in Brussels as in Paris though (politicians, bankers...)
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 06:32:10 AM »
Fantastic! Glad you guys had some fun Danny.  :aok
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 07:14:40 AM »
Berlin is in fact teh dog's danglybits.

Was there a particular reason for choosing the sleeper train? Reckon you could have got there quicker (though not so cheap) via Brussels and the German ICE train.

Same dodgy characters in Brussels as in Paris though (politicians, bankers...)

We got the train merely because it was £59 each return and it would be an adventure, which to be fair it was, although 35k feet and 400mph return journey was considerably more relaxing :-)
The GFC

Offline oldskool65

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 09:49:57 AM »
I was in Berlin just before the wall came down and stayed for the biggest party i have ever seen .
The East Berlin ladies were most accommodating and the beer und  Bratwurst plentiful

Sehr Gut Ja
Of course I'm right I'm British

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 10:46:11 AM »
A six person sleeping cabin?  :huh I think I've seen and slept in one when spending a weekend on a museum railroad who had them for accommodation. By the pictures my parents took during their trip through Germany I believe they had a nice modern two person cabin in the sleeping train.

Hmm... I have a Haxe and a Weizenbier in the Kühlschrank...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
We then climbed aboard the Paris to Berlin Sleeper train for our 13 hours to Berlin. When I say Sleeper Train, I refer to the wreck that was discovered in an Eastern Block train yard after the wall came down and then put back in service. The "Schlafwagen" is rather spuriously named, with 6 people per cabin (thank goodness we only had 3), seats came from a T34 and were non adjustable, so we ended up sleeping on the floor.

No Schlafwagen has a 6 place capacity anymore, any cars like that must have been retired ages ago. Economy class Schlafwagen cabins have generally 2 places, some have 4.

What you rode in was most probably a Liegewagen

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 11:24:46 AM »

No Schlafwagen has a 6 place capacity anymore, any cars like that must have been retired ages ago. Economy class Schlafwagen cabins have generally 2 places, some have 4.

What you rode in was most probably a Liegewagen

(Image removed from quote.)

Well it said shlafwagen on the outside and the inside was lovely :)
The GFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 11:30:46 AM »
Well it said shlafwagen on the outside and the inside was lovely :)

:huh

That was sold to you as a "Schlafwagen" by Deutsche Bahn?

Seriously, last time I saw any train like that has been more than 20 years ago.  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »
A six person sleeping cabin?  :huh I think I've seen and slept in one when spending a weekend on a museum railroad who had them for accommodation. By the pictures my parents took during their trip through Germany I believe they had a nice modern two person cabin in the sleeping train.

Hmm... I have a Haxe and a Weizenbier in the Kühlschrank...

I developed a deep understanding of Schoferhofer whilst I was there, this was the first beer on German soil

Mrs Danny putting herself outside a modest sweet at 600ft in the Fernsehturm, I swear the platform shifted when they placed the cakes on the table

The GFC

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 11:37:02 AM »

:huh

That was sold to you as a "Schlafwagen" by Deutsche Bahn?

Seriously, last time I saw any train like that has been more than 20 years ago.  :headscratch:

Tidy wasn't it?  :lol The service stops forever on 14th December this year. So I will not be able to get back on it however cheap the trip :old:
The GFC

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 11:41:24 AM »
Most astonishing were the state of almost every building. Now I have seen a certain amount of battle bamage, and even delivered the odd bit myself but this was some serious fighting!

The GFC

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 12:52:12 PM »
I just came from Berlin. I'd move there if the aviation business wasn't a complete diddly story in europe

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 09:39:06 PM »
I just came from Berlin. I'd move there if the aviation business wasn't a complete diddly story in europe

Whats wrong with it? Its booming in 'murica.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"