Author Topic: What did you think of the Dueling Terrain setup?  (Read 666 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
What did you think of the Dueling Terrain setup?
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
Would you be interested in a dedicated setup like the Dueling Terrain Canyon area for every challenge? What about a dedicated Combat Challenge Terrain?

Or are you more interested in the Special Event Terrains that changed every setup? Most likely, we would be using the same ones as we did in 2014 for all future challenges. Some were better than others IMO, there seems to be a perfect balance for range and speed of aircraft.

Input needed, please discuss.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Trainee

• Copper Member
Re: What did you think of the Dueling Terrain setup?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »
Personally I like variety as opposed to the same map every week..

The canyons were a nice change and added another dimension to the fight but everyone seemed to migrate to one or two areas on the map from what I saw.  Fights high as well as low and some in the canyons as well. 

I thought it was a nice finish.

:aok

Trainee
~~~THE UNFORGIVEN~~~
"Step aside Butch..."

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:36:11 PM »
Personally I like variety as opposed to the same map every week..

Well, There will be typically 5-6 Challenges year depending on holidays and FSO Fridays. So it's not really every week. I kind of like the idea of a constant arena, perhaps with rotating areas. Mountains, Oceans, Islands. We could have a terrain built with several different areas inside of it. So it wouldn't be the same every Challenge, but it would use the same terrain.

The Dueling Terrain seemed to work fairly well for range and altitudes.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 10:20:55 PM »

I thought DA Canyons was awesome for this event.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 11:41:47 AM »
I too liked the DA canyons.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »
To be honest I liked the historical maps better.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 08:13:44 AM »
The hardest part in CC is finding fights.  With DARBAR's on, any map will work.  It stinks to be ambling around looking for a fight.

What ever it takes
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline ELD66

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »
I wasn't happy with it. If you were down in the canyon and had to ditch you were kia, if you were low outside of the canyon then it was twice as difficult to avoid going into the canyon. Also the spawn from 3 sectors away was good for some, they climbed to 30k before dropping on anyone else. Anyone who did that missed the fighting for all the time they used to get to said altitude.

All the other combat challenges were straight forward, 2 bases each side, you could climb but it was much less room to climb than in the final. Alt monkeys could only get to 25k and lower in all the others, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that some were over 30k in this one.
 :salute
ElD.
E1Diablo in game

Member of JG11 Sonderstaffel