Author Topic: Passmark rating and game play  (Read 765 times)

Offline Flifast

• Copper Member
      • Claim Jumpers
Passmark rating and game play
« on: December 09, 2014, 08:41:29 AM »
Does a passmark rating give you an indication of quality game play?  Build 1 of 3 is done and the Passmark is 2873.  I did not think it was bad for an upper end budget build.  I will jump into OC in a few weeks and retest again.

Build 2 of 3 will be finished soon and I'm hoping to be around PassMark around 3000+.  It will need to be protected with anti-virus and was wondering what is the best for gaming?  Aces High (which means if will be turned off) and League of Legends...I have no idea how this game uses resources.  They do not have the support we have so I'll set it up to work best with us.

Computer 3 of 3 will include state of art gear and shooting for 7000+!  I'm glad I won't be buying the parts for this build but I won't mind putting it together and testing it.  The build will not be an experiment but a recreation of current systems that rank above 8000.

Q.  Does Passmark rating give you a clue to game play?

Q.  Which anti-virus software works best?  On/off without all the fricken popup, updates, sell stuff?

Thanks

Fli

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Passmark rating and game play
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:01:12 AM »
No synthetic benchmark is going to give you an indicator of how a system will run anything.  Synthetic benchmarks are best used for comparison between other systems running that benchmark.  In that context, they do give a relative performance potential.

The update we are working on is going to run very differently than the current game, with loads being moved around, substantially.

There is so many ways to present 3D graphics, there is really no way to create a benchmark which could represent the performance of any given game, much less a variety of games.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 11:01:52 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Flifast

• Copper Member
      • Claim Jumpers
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
Thanks Skuzzy.  I'm getting ready for the update but don't want to waste resources.

Fli

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 11:06:36 AM »
If you have to get a video card now, the only thing I can tell you is one with 2GB, or more, video RAM *might* be needed to be able to run with all the bells and whistles.  It *might* need to be in the upper 1/3 of the NVidia/AMD lineup, if not higher as well, to run with everything enabled.
Please note that could be way off by the time we release and anyone taking this as gospel is just begging to make an error in the video card purchase.

You want a guarantee?  Buy the fastest video card available, with 4GB (or more) video RAM.  I feel comfortable saying it will run with all the bells and whistle enabled, but I could still be wrong.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 02:22:26 AM »
So best bet would be to wait until the update hits, then ask you what I should get. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:46:25 AM »
Once things stabilize, we will post the minimum and recommended requirements. 
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
Once things stabilize, we will post the minimum and recommended requirements. 
Just out of curiosity: I once was told as a rule of thumb to double the recommended requirements for good measure in order to be able to run a game the way it was designed, totally ignoring the minimum. Does that still apply, and will it apply in the future version?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 11:18:34 AM »
When we post the minimums, it means to run everything must be set to minimum as well.  Our recommended option will allow for all graphic options to be enabled.  Anything beyond recommended is just extra processing power which can make things play smoother, but only incrementally so.

That said, our recommendations assume a clean system, which is rare in the real world.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese