Author Topic: Thinking of upgrading PC. Advice on what to upgrade?  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Thinking of upgrading PC. Advice on what to upgrade?
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 06:13:19 AM »
Playing Planetside 2 I kept checking the CPU temps and they seem to be hovering around 90 (celsius). GPU is sitting around 70 though. I think getting a good fan like you say will help bring that down considerably.

This is the Case I have: http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Black-Edition-VL80001W2Z-Gaming/dp/B002Q2M8KK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418558965&sr=8-2&keywords=case+pc+thermaltake

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 07:10:09 AM »
Playing Planetside 2 I kept checking the CPU temps and they seem to be hovering around 90 (celsius). GPU is sitting around 70 though. I think getting a good fan like you say will help bring that down considerably.

This is the Case I have: http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Black-Edition-VL80001W2Z-Gaming/dp/B002Q2M8KK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418558965&sr=8-2&keywords=case+pc+thermaltake

90 celsius is way too high for a CPU. It would be normal for a GPU. Are you sure you didn't mix the temperatures? In any case if you want to invest, invest to a quality CPU cooler like the Noctua. Read some reviews and study installation guides.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 07:39:39 AM »
Looks like a nice well breathing case! I suppose you have one fan in the rear like the picture shows? Add one 120mm on the top and another in the front. Both upper fans should blow out, the front one in. Keep the front grille dust free, ensure there's enough space around the case - the so called computer desks with a closed door cabinet for the case are the worst thing you can think of! I also suppose that the air intake for the power supply is in the bottom, in which case you might like to add height to the feet. Something like door bumpers will do the trick, leaving 1" or more space beneath the case. If your video card still runs hot, adding one fan on the side blowing in will help.

As for noise level, decibels don't multiply by the amount of fans. If you start with, say, one 20 dB fan, two will make about 22 dB and three about 24 dB. For more exact calculations, decibels go in a logarithmic scale. Below 20 dB is hard to tell from the overall hum.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 07:52:19 AM »
Actually now that I'm thinking if you really run a non overclocked i5 cpu with the stock cooler, 90 degrees temperature indicates that you have a major problem with your cooler.

Either the fan is not blowing, it's real dirty or you didn't apply heat paste properly during installation. Or the mixture of all. Your CPU should not run that hot, if it gets that hot the cpu might start throttling, which means your cpu speed is lowered to reduce the generated heat. Overheating cpu will make your computer feel sluggish and powerless even though you have just fine hardware. It's just not cooled properly.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 07:56:25 AM »
If upgrading CPU fan, keep in mind that some fans will simply clip on the motherboard, while others will require replacing the motherboard backing plate.

I prefer the fans that don't require mother board removal to replace backing plate simply because of the risk involved with removing the motherboard.

Take your time researching - look at customer reviews, consider clearance issues with case and nearby components carefully, and the fan/case orientation for airflow.

Plus all the other fine suggestions in this thread. Good Luck  :salute
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 08:03:41 AM »
I knew 90 is on the hot side of things. Not sure why it runs that hot. I have cleaned it recently but maybe some dust already built back up? Will be cleaning it again just to be sure. That Noctua fan looked nice! I'm certainly going to be buying that :)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 09:42:06 AM »
I knew 90 is on the hot side of things. Not sure why it runs that hot. I have cleaned it recently but maybe some dust already built back up? Will be cleaning it again just to be sure. That Noctua fan looked nice! I'm certainly going to be buying that :)

90C is very hot.  For comparison, my i5-2500k is overclocked to 4.0GHz, and my temps rarely go above 54C.

What CPU cooler are you using?  Even the stock cooler should keep it cooler than 90C, especially without any overclocking.  Did you already try cleaning the thermal paste, applying a new dab, and reseating the cooler?
mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 09:54:28 AM »
Just the stock fan for cooling. I'll be doing some detailed cleaning tomorrow as I don't have any air cans around the house right now. I'll check the thermal paste when I do that.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 10:08:41 AM »

1.   Upgrade to something this, before looking at a Graphics Card update.  I have it on my i7 system and love it.   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181031&cm_re=Corsair_H-_-35-181-031-_-Product     You would put this where your rear fan currently is.   

2.   I took it a step further as those fans are loud.    I replaced them with these PWM fans:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835494015&cm_re=LEPA-_-35-494-015-_-Product   They move more air and do not sound like a wind tunnel fan.

You should see a substantial drop in CPU temperatures after doing #1.   #2 is optional, but I wiggled out a few degrees with the fan upgrade.

See where you stand and then look at #3.    Upgrading to a 970.    I am a fanboi of only one PC related company and that is EVGA.    Their RMA process is painless and their products exude quality.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 12:01:32 PM »
What brand/model is your "600W" power supply?

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »
What brand/model is your "600W" power supply?

PSU is a diablotek DA series
model ID: PSDA600

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 11:03:23 PM »
PSU is a diablotek DA series
model ID: PSDA600

I would upgrade to a Seasonic or Corsair (maybe a 700-750W for better future proofing and overhead).   Apparently some of their PSU models haven't even gone through the UL in the past, which is not a good sign.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2014, 05:00:49 AM »
So I opened the case this morning and gave it a real good cleaning and I guess there was some dust build up since the temp came down a little but it's still sitting around 80 as I play Planetside 2.

Just sitting here listening to music on YouTube and it's hovering around 55.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2014, 06:20:04 AM »
So I opened the case this morning and gave it a real good cleaning and I guess there was some dust build up since the temp came down a little but it's still sitting around 80 as I play Planetside 2.

Just sitting here listening to music on YouTube and it's hovering around 55.

Place the order for the Noctua today, you won't regret it. You might burn out your CPU prematurely with that current cooler.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2014, 10:02:08 AM »
The need of upgrade depends much on what you're using it for. For AH I'd wait. There's been speculations that the next version may rely more on the video card than the current version, although no one can exactly tell. Not even HiTech himself, nor Skuzzy, for that matter.<snip>

Oh no, the next version of Aces High WILL use more of the video card.  The entire graphics engine may run on the video card.  How much of a load there will be is what we do not know yet.  It is safe to say, if you want a chance to run with all the bells and whistles, I would say a video card with 2GB of dedicated video RAM, or more, will be needed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com