Author Topic: Improving the ground war to help the air war  (Read 5087 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Improving the ground war to help the air war
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2015, 03:42:28 AM »
There is no need to make it so complicated. You don't need ranks evolved. .. see how that works out for cv groups. apples and oranges, I was merely talking about the achievement system, not privileges from ranks as with CV control    All you need is a purpose behind the game and a way to guide it in an interesting and varied way. agreed, now dangle a carrot in front of that cart and see how far it goes (in other words what are you giving the players to lead them in the desired direction?  I merely suggested rank as a carrot)

Right now the purpose is to win the war, < the purpose is to login and have some fun, and yes, making a good show achieving country objectives, or even winning a war, can be fun.... but it does not always turn out that way >  and the way it's done is with a horde running the same noe raid over and over. If a supreme command ran the missions there could be more variety leading to more action and challenges.  if you substitute clearly stated objectives, rather than supreme command, I agree.... right now we have a sophisticated system of supply, with the exception of the HQ killing all radar for a country for long periods of time, it is an example of where ground and air wars could be channeled. 

Dred, I don't remember AW having something like this other than players. The Mafia was good at guiding the As, the MAW was good at guiding the Bs.  The Cs ..... who ever knew what they were doing  :devil 

Expand the water war. {ding, ding} actually, the more intense fights nowadays have been the fleet attacks on airfields..... maybe due to the short flight distance so that combatants are constantly being replenished.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2015, 09:03:14 AM »
< the purpose is to login and have some fun, and yes, making a good show achieving country objectives, or even winning a war, can be fun.... but it does not always turn out that way >

To you it may be logging in and having fun, to many its win the war. You have to look at what "others" are doing/wanting. Years ago it was fighting, and so we had huge furballs. Now it's win the war, and we have huge hordes. Can you imagine the game years ago with fields having only a few acks, towns that were small and everything was lined up in strait lines, then add in todays hordes. LOL!!! they would roll 4-5 base before they had to land out of fuel!

This generation likes to capture bases. Even when a CV is involved, it's due to the short flight times to bring ord in. Once the CV is sunk the battle disappears and the base takers move to some other base. HAd they rolled a few buffs from another base to hit the field the CV was hitting before the attack got going the base would have been captured easily, but for thought and extra time to get those buffs there are not something todays players think about, it's hit it quick and hard and hope for the best.

They already have the objectives..... capture bases and win the war. What is needed is another way to do that instead of the same old, same old. 

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2015, 05:02:06 PM »
Back to the OP's wish to see improvements in the ground war such as new vehicles, artillery and such, I respectfully do not see achieving his desired result of a better air war.  :headscratch:  Fugi, as you and I both can agree, the improvements in ground war should be aimed at creating focal points for sustained action.  :aok

I have stayed away from wishlist posts recently, waiting for the next immergence of AH the third generation.  However, I do believe that much of what this thread is about can be achieved by making small tweaks in the existing systems, and maybe some added coad in the Achievement system.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »
I really like Traveler's suggestion of a road system that means something, and functional, destroyable bridges that span rivers.

Seemed to me that too many ground battles were static engagements that lasted as long as vehicles were available from the involved V-bases.  As soon as one side knocked out the VHs, the battle ended and moved somewhere else on the map. 

What about adding a whole new target to the maps - capturable villages?  With real, useable roads and bridges connecting towns, and capturable villages along these roads that could serve as resupply depots for the attacking columns?   We could see ground advances into enemy territory along these routes.  With a new vehicle like the Deuce-and-a-half that could carry 10 troops, captured villages could provide repair and refit to attacking forces to allow for sustained pushes into enemy territory.   Bridges along the routes would serve as natural interdiction targets for defending air units, as would the columns of advancing units moving long the road...

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2015, 06:59:57 PM »
I've always favored and pushed for a meaningful road net as well as more drastic effects for off road movement

I really like Traveler's suggestion of a road system that means something, and functional, destroyable bridges that span rivers.

Seemed to me that too many ground battles were static engagements that lasted as long as vehicles were available from the involved V-bases.  As soon as one side knocked out the VHs, the battle ended and moved somewhere else on the map. 

What about adding a whole new target to the maps - capturable villages?  With real, useable roads and bridges connecting towns, and capturable villages along these roads that could serve as resupply depots for the attacking columns?   We could see ground advances into enemy territory along these routes.  With a new vehicle like the Deuce-and-a-half that could carry 10 troops, captured villages could provide repair and refit to attacking forces to allow for sustained pushes into enemy territory.   Bridges along the routes would serve as natural interdiction targets for defending air units, as would the columns of advancing units moving long the road...

Sounds a lot like my suggestion
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,367854.msg4900434.html#msg4900434
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
^^^ thanks for the link, yes it does sound like basically the same idea.    Think I've always liked the idea of blowing up bridges...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2015, 11:39:48 AM »
I'd like them to add coast watchers and forest scouts and the like. The game "knows" what an NOE looks like, have the host bust 1 in 3 or something like that to simulate reports getting through to set an alert. It would make the NOE that much more chancy and give the few defenders that normally show up a bit of an edge to get there before the vulchin starts.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2015, 07:59:57 PM »
I'd like them to add coast watchers and forest scouts and the like. The game "knows" what an NOE looks like, have the host bust 1 in 3 or something like that to simulate reports getting through to set an alert. It would make the NOE that much more chancy and give the few defenders that normally show up a bit of an edge to get there before the vulchin starts.

Could also setup radar more like it was really like. A chain of towers outside of the bases
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
Let's face it radar in the game is nothing like it actually would be in your cockpit.  The fact that you do have that option, really points to the obvious, that dot dar and dar bar are needed to "boost" online player interaction, not avoidance. 

Again, I say that tiny tweaks without introducing much new, would have drastic impacts on game play.  That is probably why HTC is very careful not disturb the status quo.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2015, 03:24:13 AM »
Too late  to edit previous post.  I just wanted to make it clear that I am for changes  :aok  but, only HiTech staff know where and what limits can be pushed.  Let's see what they have in mind.  In the meantime, they have been receptive to suggestions about existing coad.  :salute

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2015, 06:12:08 AM »
I think the popularity of fleet attacks show that what AH players actually want is faster action, shorter transition times. And it makes sense, nobody really likes the 10 minute transit flights (unless you're in a historical scenario).
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2015, 06:39:09 AM »
nobody really likes the 10 minute transit flights (unless you're in a historical scenario).

Wrong.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2015, 06:48:59 AM »
Except for snail............   he likes to do things nice and...... sloOOOW.....   :D

I agree, most players prefer shorter transition times to fight.  Ten minutes to a fight is not all that bad, especially if the fight meets you halfway.  The concern about altitude, prompts longer flights, and longer flights enable some to pile on the kills. 

For the adrenaline rush and pure thrill, close by furball action, gets my blood running  :joystick:

Offline Zacherof

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2015, 06:59:34 AM »
Best thinkin my mind is still that random, long drawn out fight that makes you swear the whole time because both pilots are equally skilled and niether gives way. Startin from alt, to the deck. 5-10 minutes :banana:
In game name Xacherof
USN Sea Bee
**ELITE**
I am a meat popsicle

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2015, 07:46:12 AM »

Wrong.

I think your style of 'climb to 30k and dive' players are a small minority. The masses want action.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone