Author Topic: Cross Control Stall Tutorial  (Read 15753 times)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
Re: Cross Control Stall Tutorial
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »
Lotta CFI's flying AH.  I'm not sure which one I'd pick to teach me.  Maybe the FAA web site will provide some instructor options since it lists the CFI's by state...I don't want to be taught the wrong terminology.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »
A loop is a complete 360 degree turn in the vertical.  The diagram is of a vertical rolling scissors.  When it's not vertical, it's a flat or horizontal rolling scissors.  Below is a diagram of a flat scissors:

By your definition there's no loop in a split S. Now we can argue if you're half right or half wrong.  ;)

A flat scissors is not a horizontal rolling scissors. A flat scissors is a series of level turns nose to nose with the bandit. It's a radius fight, the flow is one circle.
The rolling scissors is a turn rate fight. It's two circle flow, it's basically a tail chase with vertical "turns",i.e. loops or partial loops, made up of barrel rolls.

A flat scissors can be horizontal or vertical. A rolling scissors in the vertical is a spiral climb because a vertical barrel roll is a spiral climb.  The first diagram may intend to show a rolling scissors but where it says "scissors develops" the red ribbon should be over the blue ribbon. The drawing is in error and that's why it looks like a flat scissors in the middle.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:58:55 PM by FLS »

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2014, 10:34:14 PM »
lol what this thread has turned into  :joystick:
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »
By your definition there's no loop in a split S. Now we can argue if you're half right or half wrong.  ;)

It's not my definition.  It's what exists as the real definition of the maneuver.  It's not about me being right or wrong.   A loop and a split S are two different maneuvers by definition.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2014, 11:20:36 PM »
What maneuver do you think it showcases?

You tell me

Didn't you come here to tell us all in the first place?
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2014, 11:36:13 PM »
It's not my definition.  It's what exists as the real definition of the maneuver.  It's not about me being right or wrong.   A loop and a split S are two different maneuvers by definition.

Now you're talking about the definition of the Loop as a maneuver rather than loop being descriptive of a vertical turn.
My interest is the flying. I don't care to argue the semantics.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2014, 11:45:42 PM »
Now you're talking about the definition of the Loop as a maneuver rather than loop being descriptive of a vertical turn.
My interest is the flying. I don't care to argue the semantics.
Neither do I.  But, when you describe a scissors as having a loop as part of  it, you are going to confuse someone new to the game and BFM/ACM by using inaccurate description. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2014, 12:15:35 AM »
Neither do I.  But, when you describe a scissors as having a loop as part of  it, you are going to confuse someone new to the game and BFM/ACM by using inaccurate description. 

They shouldn't be too confused unless they mix up a flat scissors with a rolling scissors.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #128 on: December 29, 2014, 07:42:35 AM »
You tell me

Didn't you come here to tell us all in the first place?

I already did in several places, and offered instructional video to offer details.  You'll have to go back and look.

Here is an additional video offered by FLS in a different thread.  This video does a very good job of explaining why it is necessary to cross control to perform maneuvers :
Zeno's has posted a basic aerobatic training film showing the maneuver, ribbon diagram, and control positions.

http://youtu.be/4ciHwwRCeBw
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:49:25 AM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: December 29, 2014, 02:36:22 PM »
If we could delete pages 4-9...that'd be great.  :bolt:

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #130 on: December 29, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
If we could delete pages 4-9...that'd be great.  :bolt:

If you did that, Mar wouldn't get the answer to his question.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »
If you did that, Mar wouldn't get the answer to his question.
Mar's question was in no way related to my original post, which you managed to derail to the point of people fighting over a definition.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
Mar's question was in no way related to my original post, which you managed to derail to the point of people fighting over a definition.

Interesting, you see people fighting and I see people discussing different maneuvers.  I derailed your tutorial on Cross Control Stall, because it wasn't a tutorial about that.  You have no idea what it is that is happening in that video you posted and yet you claim to be teaching others.  You derailed your own tutorial.   Several people, FLS, puma and myself at least posted accurate videos to show the use of cross control inputs.  Any Saturday night.

Mar question about Stall?  Your tutorial about Cross Control Stall, subject appeared to be related.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:10:13 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2014, 06:12:39 PM »

Threads often go off topic while remaining informative and helpful. There is no fighting over definitions, there is polite disagreement, which may also be a useful lesson.  ;)

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
No, I did get the answer. I just stepped out of the discussion for a while so I could look at it from the outside.

The problem was that since my youth I learned that "stall" meant losing control authority, usually due to falling below flying speed. I don't know if it was changed since then, or if everyone else was just using it wrong. Bottom line is as you said, according to the FAA the term stall doesn't have anything to do with airspeed.

But I have one more bone to pick.

There's no such thing as "not having enough speed to fly." You either have enough lift or you don't. Lift may ultimately come from airspeed, but airspeed alone does not determine whether you fly or not.

The way I see it, this post contradicts itself. Am I wrong?
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old: