Author Topic: Cross Control Stall Tutorial  (Read 15835 times)

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Cross Control Stall Tutorial
« on: December 25, 2014, 05:11:46 PM »
Someone asked me to teach them how so I figured I might as well post it here too :)

You want to be going straight up and anywhere from 50-150 IAS, then apply full right rudder, left aileron and elevator.
The result in most low torque planes is a fast transition from nose up to nose down, and can be helpful in different circumstances. High torque planes like the K4, La7 etc are a little harder to do it in, but in those planes you can use the torque to turn around anyways. The only plane set I haven't been able to recreate this in is the 190s (with the exception of 152, which is one of the best at it because of its low torque). I am not responsible for any damage to your plane you may acquire!!

A video on some of the common planes doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3n12dxz2zY

(dang it wrong section  :bolt:)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 07:49:50 PM by xPoisonx »
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: Cross Control Stall Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 08:00:30 PM »
Someone asked me to teach them how so I figured I might as well post it here too :)

You want to be going straight up and anywhere from 50-150 IAS, then apply full right rudder, left aileron and elevator.
The result in most low torque planes is a fast transition from nose up to nose down, and can be helpful in different circumstances. High torque planes like the K4, La7 etc are a little harder to do it in, but in those planes you can use the torque to turn around anyways. The only plane set I haven't been able to recreate this in is the 190s (with the exception of 152, which is one of the best at it because of its low torque). I am not responsible for any damage to your plane you may acquire!!

A video on some of the common planes doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3n12dxz2zY

(dang it wrong section  :bolt:)

Tell me, what is a stall? Also, what is cross controled?  I'm an FAA flight instructor and your explanation is off base.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:06:22 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 08:08:43 PM »
Tell me, what is a stall? Also, what is cross controled?  I'm an FAA flight instructor and your explanation is off base.
Tell me, do I care what you think of my naming?

Merry Christmas  :)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:14:05 PM by xPoisonx »

HiTech

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 08:21:15 PM »
Tell me, do I care what you think of my naming?

Merry Christmas  :)
Has nothing to to do with what I thing, has more to do with passing on correct information. Which I can see you care nothing about.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 09:10:35 PM »
As he described, cross-controlling (crossing up the controls) is using the opposite inputs of coordinated flight, coordinated turn, etc to achieve a maneuver.  In the game, the high torque planes actually do it well, just not on the same angle of attack that he described...the K4, LA7, Spit14 do it very well out of a coordinated turn in either direction, preferring the torque side.  Try it in a 5 degree right hand climb.  You'll like it.  I'm fairly certain you'll die in real life trying this, lol unless you're in a high performance aircraft.

That being said, the supreme commander of this particular counter controlling move is the KI84.  Much more smooth than the others. :salute

"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
Tell me, what is a stall? Also, what is cross controled?  I'm an FAA flight instructor and your explanation is off base.

A stall is when a wing or portion of a wing no longer produces lift due to insufficient airflow.

Cross control is the use of opposite rudder and aileron to cause the plane to "skid" partially sideways through the air producing a braking effect due to the length of the fuselage "catching" the air.

Glad to be of service to the FAA but they really 'ought to teach you guys this stuff.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 09:12:49 PM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 10:12:59 PM »
Tell me, what is a stall? Also, what is cross controled?  I'm an FAA flight instructor and your explanation is off base.

Poison's description is basically a snap roll in the vertical, one wing stalls and the lift from the other wing snaps you around. At the same time the slow speed has decreased your stability enough so that the torque and gyroscopic precession can express themselves and gravity is pulling you "back" instead of "down".  It's instructive to do the maneuver at different speeds and different attitudes from level to vertical.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 10:20:18 PM »
Has nothing to to do with what I thing, has more to do with passing on correct information. Which I can see you care nothing about.

Did someone get coal in their stocking this year? Sheesh...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 10:42:45 PM »

Yeah! Cuz like, it's no big deal when someone tells you to do an Immelmann when they really mean Split-S!

:rolleyes:
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 10:45:53 PM »

Traveler is correct that some of Poison's explanations are wrong. For example how could a TA 152 have less torque than other FW 190's?
The big difference seems to be the wing not any aspect of torque.

...  In the game, the high torque planes actually do it well, just not on the same angle of attack that he described...

Changeup it sounds like you think going straight up describes an angle of attack. Angle of attack is not flight path or attitude. It's simply the angle the airflow meets the wing.

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 10:52:32 PM »
Traveler is correct that some of Poison's explanations are wrong. For example how could a TA 152 have less torque than other FW 190's?
The big difference seems to be the wing not any aspect of torque.

Changeup it sounds like you think going straight up describes an angle of attack. Angle of attack is not flight path or attitude. It's simply the angle the airflow meets the wing.

The 190s don't seem to do it because their high wind loading / less maneuverability... Not because of anything to do with torque. But hey  just take it for what it's worth... Enjoy the info guys I'm not going to argue anything today  :salute

HiTech

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 11:30:53 PM »
Nice video!

Apparently this is real life, duhh! :noid

It's hard to explain maneuvers.  Especially when talking about a video game, ( which is a lot different than real life). I have no idea the correct terminology of half the crap I do in AH, but it works. Now could I do this in real life. Hell no..

It's good that you explained it in layman's terms because most people (who play a video game and not fly in real life) would probably have no clue what you were trying to say if you wrote it with politically correct terminology.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 06:12:46 AM »
It was perfectly clear to me.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 06:32:22 AM »
It was perfectly clear to me.

Hear hear old bean I concur! And I am not even a Fleet Air Arm flight instructor! Rite then.  :neener:

Tally Ho and Merry Christmas to you Poison!  :aok
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 07:23:09 AM »
Tell me, what is a stall? I'm an FAA flight instructor.....

An FAA flight instructor that doesn't know what a stall is?   :huh