Author Topic: Another Combat Trim Thread  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Another Combat Trim Thread
« on: January 04, 2015, 02:15:43 AM »
I'm wondering whether I should keep it off or on.

Like just off or on period.

I now turn it off when I'm about to get into a fight I know I'm going to be ending up slow and w/ flaps out so it doesn't screw up a shot I might get, but in all seriousness I just got tired of constantly switching it on and off, and on...over and over and am now wondering whether I should disable it for good.

Well? :noid
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Re: Another Combat Trim Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 03:21:51 AM »
You tard just disable it for one flight and see how far you will get.  :t

you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 03:38:05 AM »
I sort of do it a similar way Anarchy.

I fly with it off, but have a button mapped on my throttle to flip it on/off quickly, just to get a "quick trim" when I slow down or accelerate rapidly, or get trim out of shape from doing anything else as well.  I always have it off in a fight once I get slow especially as well, as like you said, when the flaps come out, you end up having to push the nose down often to get lined up for a shot, which is very counter intuitive to always "pulling" for a shot, at least in most cases.  Plus when you "pull" for a shot, you can let go a little and the nose tends to stay, where as with CT on and flaps out, when you "push" for that line up, if you let off just a little, the nose takes off going up again in a big way, even with just a slight release it push pressure.  That's my experience with it anyhow.  With CT on and flaps out, it just feels...screwy.

Once I take off, I usually flip it on for general tooling about, and again, once I'm in a fight and bleeding E in any way, I'll flip it off and use the hat I have mapped for trim on my stick (ail and elevator).  Since I don't have rudder trim mapped, and don't find it to really be that much of a big deal for me anyhow, if I need to quickly re-trim while in combat, I'll just hit that mapped throttle trim button once, which does if far faster than holding down the stick trim buttons, which are good for precision IMO, as well as the absolutely required elevator trim for flying the K4 and getting out of control lock up in dives.  

I think they way you're doing it (much the same as mine), is the optimal way to have your controls set up.  Having CT off in the game settings, and having NO on/off CT or auto-trim button mapped, isn't a great idea IMO, even if you have all the trims mapped to your HOTAS, as having the option of flipping CT on/off is faster in a fight than doing it the manual/fine tune way, just a quick button press and you're good to go, even after a change of a couple hundred MPH in a handful of seconds from a steep dive, climb, turn, or combination of the above.   Just my opinion, but it's worked for me for a long time, and some of the "great" K4 and G10 sticks back in the day taught me to do it this way, as there is NO plane where trim is more important - and since you're one of the current K4 pilots like the above - probably best off doing what you're doing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 03:41:57 AM by Gman »

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 07:05:01 AM »
I was just thinking yesterday of writing a wish to have the CT button turn CT trim on or off like you had checked or unchecked the enable "Auto CT".

I use manual most of the time but I would like to use full auto when using the B17 as an example.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 09:05:32 AM »
have a button mapped on my throttle to flip it on/off quickly

Yup.  Although I'm the opposite, I generally have CT on all the time, except for when flying the P-38 and when entering combat in the Frank.

Shane, who was one of the two best pilots I've seen in this game, always left CT on, which I think is a pretty fair recommendation.

- oldman

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:22:14 AM »
You tard just disable it for one flight and see how far you will get.  :t

"Tard?" Nice advice. This is why you get squelched.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »

It's cool he's my squaddie, have to deal with him all day. :banana:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:23:07 PM by Someguy63 »
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:49:47 AM »
I sort of do it a similar way Anarchy.

I fly with it off, but have a button mapped on my throttle to flip it on/off quickly, just to get a "quick trim" when I slow down or accelerate rapidly, or get trim out of shape from doing anything else as well.  I always have it off in a fight once I get slow especially as well, as like you said, when the flaps come out, you end up having to push the nose down often to get lined up for a shot, which is very counter intuitive to always "pulling" for a shot, at least in most cases.  Plus when you "pull" for a shot, you can let go a little and the nose tends to stay, where as with CT on and flaps out, when you "push" for that line up, if you let off just a little, the nose takes off going up again in a big way, even with just a slight release it push pressure.  That's my experience with it anyhow.  With CT on and flaps out, it just feels...screwy.

Once I take off, I usually flip it on for general tooling about, and again, once I'm in a fight and bleeding E in any way, I'll flip it off and use the hat I have mapped for trim on my stick (ail and elevator).  Since I don't have rudder trim mapped, and don't find it to really be that much of a big deal for me anyhow, if I need to quickly re-trim while in combat, I'll just hit that mapped throttle trim button once, which does if far faster than holding down the stick trim buttons, which are good for precision IMO, as well as the absolutely required elevator trim for flying the K4 and getting out of control lock up in dives.  

I think they way you're doing it (much the same as mine), is the optimal way to have your controls set up.  Having CT off in the game settings, and having NO on/off CT or auto-trim button mapped, isn't a great idea IMO, even if you have all the trims mapped to your HOTAS, as having the option of flipping CT on/off is faster in a fight than doing it the manual/fine tune way, just a quick button press and you're good to go, even after a change of a couple hundred MPH in a handful of seconds from a steep dive, climb, turn, or combination of the above.   Just my opinion, but it's worked for me for a long time, and some of the "great" K4 and G10 sticks back in the day taught me to do it this way, as there is NO plane where trim is more important - and since you're one of the current K4 pilots like the above - probably best off doing what you're doing.

Thanks G I'm all clear now.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 01:15:29 PM »
It's often a personal preference thing.  I very rarely ever turn the CT off, I've learned over time to adapt to it.  I know how it can throw off shots and cause some other strange malody's upon low speed handling, so I understand why some decide to turn it off.  It often comes down to a factor of pilot workload.  I prefer to be thinking about two steps ahead if I can, and CT on or off is something else I'll be thinking about when I could be thinking about my situation.  Again it's less pilot workload for me, for others it may be a non-factor.  Again it's personal preference.  But let me say this, the difference between having it on or off, would only make a difference in your success (if any) if you are already very proficient fighter pilot.

:salute
BigRat   
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 01:17:15 PM »

:bhead

Oh no he squelched me! I really cared that he would hear what I have to say...
Anarchy is mah friend. Sometimes the best advice is not the easiest to hear  :devil

I think Big Rat is spot on. It won't make you any better, just personal preference.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:19:09 PM by xPoisonx »
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 02:28:31 PM »
Oldman et al, if it wasn't for flaps, I would likely leave it on all the time as well.  It's just with certain planes the flaps/CT fighting each other or whatever you want to call it is really, really pronounced, the K4 being among them IMO.  Other 109s as well, and a few other planes.  Flaps out + CT = having to push nose down a lot, along with which comes more nose bounce and generally odd feelings of not being able to line up very well.  At least for me.

Shane taught me a lot in the LA7 in years gone by, and one of the reasons IMO he could leave CT on and just not think about it is he didn't really pop the flaps in the LA7 out all that much.  Again, that's the only reason this is even an issue IMO, as the CT does work just fine IMO, it's just with the flaps out, it often reverses the direction you have to push the stick to line up for shots, which I really, really dislike.  I certainly don't think that having CT off all the time gives any huge advantage, or any real advantage at all - others disagree, and say that with CT off and always manual trimming that they carry a bit more E and things are just "better", but I've never noticed such a think.  Then again, those that say that are usually a lot better ACM and E fighters than I am, so who knows.  All I really know is that flaps + CT = p00 sometimes. 

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »
I never pay attention to if it's on or off.  Every once in a while if I feel like I'm fighting the stick I'll flip it on then off to trim up.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 07:37:32 PM »
Here, as in real life, I trim as need wether by combat trim or manual trims.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 08:35:28 PM »
I hate dealing with trim in sims. IRL you can easily set it so you can just go hands off for a bit, not so with a keyboard/hat switch.

AH's CT auto-trims for 1G level flight at mil power for all planes at all speeds, but ever since the WWI planes were introduced the elevator trim has been off by about +0.1 Gs or so. I reported it as a bug and nothing was done about it. Now I'll never be able to just let go of the stick and enjoy the view.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 10:06:35 PM »

Yup.  Although I'm the opposite, I generally have CT on all the time, except for when flying the P-38 and when entering combat in the Frank.
Combat trim probably kill more P38s in AH than enemy action. Anyone familiar with P38 attack missions where half the attackers lawndart? Combat trim.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs