Author Topic: A question for our ground military guys  (Read 744 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
A question for our ground military guys
« on: January 11, 2015, 01:46:54 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw6FJ4UdWfo

What would be the likely cause for this?  What would you have needed to do to prevent, and in the chance that it happens despite procedure, what do you do in this case?  I get the feeling there are steps that have been missed. :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
Re: A question for our ground military guys
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 05:08:37 PM »
As a retired 11C (Mortarman), I would say that it was due to a cook-off of the charges,
 due to an overheated Mortar tube. And improper dropping(Indexing) of round by Assistant Gunner.(Main reason)
Charges should never come in contact with Mortar Tube. Proper indexing( inserting round in tube) of round would have prevented this
And possibly contributing- Dirty tube
Not sure how many rounds were fired before this happened, but was a common worry.
The way to correct this would be as follows(depending upon Mission and War/Peace).

1) Let Mortar tube cool on own.
2) Pour water or other liquid to cool tube down.
3) Urinate (yes Urinate) on tube to cool down.
4) If available - change tube.( Finish Mission with different Gun Track).
5) Retrain Assistant Gunner on proper indexing of round.
6) Swab Tube often                                                                                                                                                :cheers: Oz

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 05:36:51 PM by ozrocker »
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 05:33:01 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw6FJ4UdWfo

What would be the likely cause for this?  What would you have needed to do to prevent, and in the chance that it happens despite procedure, what do you do in this case?  I get the feeling there are steps that have been missed. :headscratch:
Scary stuff.  :O
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 11:57:08 AM »
Given that at least 2 other rounds had started to hang up in the tube before the last one on film I'd say fouled tube is a pretty good factor there. Another could be a bad batch of ammo with out of spec driving bands. Im unsure about that one though as I have too little experience with the 4.2 mortar anyhow.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 12:29:16 PM »
This is a mortarman question, not a ground question.

Only thing Infantry and others are supposed to know is if that asset is available and how do we call it in so we can hit all of the combined arms spectrum against our enemy.

Oz rocker is the subject matter expert being an 11C
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 12:54:07 PM »
You forgot steps 7, 8 and 9.

7. Smack the crap out of retarded mortarman, and give him an Article 15
8. Change your shorts
9. Transfer to 19K, M1A1 tanker

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:34:59 PM »
Given that at least 2 other rounds had started to hang up in the tube before the last one on film I'd say fouled tube is a pretty good factor there. Another could be a bad batch of ammo with out of spec driving bands. Im unsure about that one though as I have too little experience with the 4.2 mortar anyhow.

That's a 120mm Mortar, not the 4.2  :aok
Never saw a "bad batch" of ammo. We always fired Nam era ammo in the 80's-90's

Reply with quoteQuote  

You forgot steps 7, 8 and 9.

7. Smack the crap out of retarded mortarman, and give him an Article 15
8. Change your shorts
9. Transfer to 19K, M1A1 tanker :rofl

boo

CDAT? No way

:cheers: Oz

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:37:24 PM by ozrocker »
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 11:39:00 AM »
11C here as well.

If you've been firing several rounds in quick succession the gases build in the tube and can continue to burn…I've seen 3-5 seconds of flame on an 81.  It might have been gas burning in the tube, then he got his sleeve or glove caught which hung the round long enough to ignite the propellant charges.  If dropped quickly the gun operates normally.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 01:48:20 PM »
As for the round he threw on the ground, what danger was there from it?  Was it "live" as a result of what happened?
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 07:47:38 PM »
As for the round he threw on the ground, what danger was there from it?  Was it "live" as a result of what happened?

No danger at all, round didn't arm yet. Those are just the donut charges burning, we used to start our campfires with them.
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 07:49:51 PM »

"Little experience" Mav? I thought you were an MP, that's 0 experience isn't it?  :)
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 11:28:27 AM »
Perhaps you should stop trying to "think" and just look at the avatar there...... :P

Old school Armor. Spent almost of my time in the M60's. I did train in the early M1 but really still a 60 guy. (A1 &A3) We had the 4.2 as part of Combat Support Company. When I was XO there I got to hang a few rounds and spent some time as range SO. The Bn CO was of the mind that everyone in the command track should have experience in all the assets available to the Bn, not just the tanks. I tend to agree with him.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:32:51 AM by Maverick »
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 04:27:21 PM »
No danger at all, round didn't arm yet. Those are just the donut charges burning, we used to start our campfires with them.

Reading the wiki, it's pretty much a bomb?  The fuze on the one he toss didn't do anything, but had it launched, would have activated due to the air?

Also, couldn't you use C4 as a fire source?  Just don't stomp it out? :headscratch:
HiTech

Offline WpnX

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 05:12:17 PM »
Perhaps you should stop trying to "think" and just look at the avatar there...... :P

Old school Armor. Spent almost of my time in the M60's. I did train in the early M1 but really still a 60 guy. (A1 &A3) We had the 4.2 as part of Combat Support Company. When I was XO there I got to hang a few rounds and spent some time as range SO. The Bn CO was of the mind that everyone in the command track should have experience in all the assets available to the Bn, not just the tanks. I tend to agree with him.

Ha! Sorry Mav, I just slapped myself for you, didn't mean to insult you by calling you an MP. Tanker is definitely a step up from MP, I can remember a few times that I wished I had a tank. (Javelins were nice though).
Elvis
The Flying Circus

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 09:04:13 PM »
Reading the wiki, it's pretty much a bomb?  The fuze on the one he toss didn't do anything, but had it launched, would have activated due to the air?

Also, couldn't you use C4 as a fire source?  Just don't stomp it out? :headscratch:

:salute
 Mortar round has to rotate numerous times before it's armed inflight.
Inside the HE Mortar round is Composition B, not C-4.
High Angle Hell!

C4 is an excellent, slow burning material. (Almost like Paydoh). Made canteen cups of coffee with just a little :)
Heats your meal in a timely manner as well :D

:cheers: Oz