Author Topic: Wednesday Night Snapshot - The man who Downed Nowotny  (Read 453 times)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Wednesday Night Snapshot - The man who Downed Nowotny
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:49:18 AM »
All Events begin at 9:30pm Eastern time in SEA II.
All are welcome to attend. No registration, sign up or squad affiliation needed. Simply show up, read the Arena Message, choose a side and plane then get ready to fight!

Feb 18  68Jr   The Man who Downed Nowotny

http://www.ahevents.org/events/snapshot/snapshot-setups/42-western-european-theatre/88-the-man-who-downed-nowotny.html

September 2002 Aviation History featured a story of 1st Lt. Edward R. Haydon who was instrumental in the downing of 258 victory aces Major Walter Nowotny who was flying a Me-262 November 8th 1944. "The jet pilot was good. He knew what he was doing. In case he had anyone on his tail, he would lure them into the flak zone, so he could drop to the flak-free zone and land. No one would have voluntarily flown through that to get down to the jet. But see, I was already below this height at his level and made the turn. I still had plenty of speed, and I thought for sure I would never see the jet again. I turned no more than 20 to 50 degrees, because I was receiving no fire, and rolled level. I was just trying to scoot across the field and either find a place to hid or rejoin the group. Well, directly in front of me appeared this 262 again, slowing down as if on a downwind leg, 180 degrees from his previous position and he did not see me. I chopped the throttle, cutting power, sliding back to the right a bit. Remember that when you cut power on a propeller-driven plane, you lose speed quickly. I ended up in the perfect position, and let her drift right into him, just like shooting a student out of the traffic pattern." - 1st Lt. Edward R. Haydon
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:18:23 PM by Nefarious »
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!