Author Topic: What is Going on these days?  (Read 7173 times)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
What is Going on these days?
« on: January 19, 2015, 12:45:20 PM »
Lately things haven't been the same way on Aces High. I remember couple years Ago where players had respect for each other and also played the game in a very professional way. There was really not much trash talking and channel 200 was not so whining. These days its almost impossible to get a 1v1 fight in the MA. Also its really really rare that we get a good base to base furball going. Or Even When we do get a furball going the fun polices Comes in and hit the Hangars or Hit HQ. Some players just run away when u get on their 6's. No one wants to fight anymore. If players were to actually commit to a 1v1 dogfight I think they would have 100x more fun than just make a pass and run away. Reason Why I play this game is to 1v1 Dogfight/Stall fight, where i can actually get a good look at the enemy airplane flying beside me and actually flying so close I can even see inside the Enemy Cockpit and perform back to back maneuvers which makes both players brains starts to generate and act quicker and the adrenaline rush that You feel is so much fun. Also before Game plans were much more organized and folks actually "listened" to the mission leader. All I'm saying is that i feel like things are starting to Disintegrate. I Always Fly Knights but I believe this is going on in the entire game where players from Rooks Or Bishops might say the same.  :salute
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: What is Going on these days?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:56:33 PM »
The new generation of AH2 has finally arrived. All people want anymore is to try and make their score look as good as possible which means avoiding any fight that you do not hold every single advantage in and have at least 2 friends nearby to bail you out of trouble. The main focus on the MA players now is to win the war as quickly as possible by any means which seems to be swarming undefended bases and moving on to another part of the map when even 1 person ups to defend.

That's just how I've seen it anyways.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:12:32 PM »
The new generation of AH2 has finally arrived. All people want anymore is to try and make their score look as good as possible which means avoiding any fight that you do not hold every single advantage in and have at least 2 friends nearby to bail you out of trouble. The main focus on the MA players now is to win the war as quickly as possible by any means which seems to be swarming undefended bases and moving on to another part of the map when even 1 person ups to defend.

That's just how I've seen it anyways.
I don't think it's the win the war crowd honestly, it's the furballers that have changed. The win the war crowd remains pretty much has stayed the same, more people who are known as "furballers" are just BnZ now.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »
have to agree there Latrobe. been hung out to dry more then a few times even for a new player. it gets old going to a fight and finding 5 or 6 v 1 then check your 6 and have no help. it pretty much makes you look for groups. this is why i find it hard to fly new planes and have to stay with the spit8 or 16 where i at least have a chance to dodge a few before i fall to pieces. ya know stay with "bread and butter". as a new player to this game it makes it even more frustrating also that EVERYBODY is better then you are. as much time you spend in the TA learning nothing compares to actual fights.  
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 01:43:27 PM »
Meh, if you want to get better ask someone to go to the DA and practice for hours. .

Gunnery and SA will only improve with practice,

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »
I don't think it's the win the war crowd honestly, it's the furballers that have changed. The win the war crowd remains pretty much has stayed the same, more people who are known as "furballers" are just BnZ now.

The win the war has become the ONLY crowd.

More and more fighter guys have left and the few people that stay are those that play for score or win the war.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 02:02:14 PM »
Getting shot down, under any circumstance, is ultimately your fault as the pilot.

The truth is that, from an ACM perspective, turning is and always will be inferior to energy fighting tactics (of which BnZ is a subset of). When everyone makes the same poor choice and turnfights, all is fun and well because everyone is doing the same thing (flying poorly and bleeding energy, from an ACM perspective), so no one can claim an advantage. However, all it takes is one smart pilot to realize that turning is tactically dumb, and then all he has to do is use energy tactics to decimate the furballers.

Furballers don't like this, because it means they have to use actual ACM instead of the pseudo-gamey turn and stall and loop routine that appears to have been the standard for so long. It seems to be slowly dwindling away (thank God) and there may yet be hope for this game.

No turnfighter is good enough to engage 2+ competent opponents using turn tactics. Sure, you can engage inferior opponents using turn tactics and probably win, but all it takes is one competent energy fighter and you're done. The myth of "being able to take on 3-5+ guys in a turnfight on the deck" is just that: a myth. If you're routinely beating multiple guys in one vs many turnfights, you're either flying a much better plane than they are, or your opposition is terrible. Sure, an occasional win is possible, but statistically you won't survive.

To make matters worse, the above myth is repeated ad naseum until enthusiastic, yet inexperienced guys (like MAGIC58/mikev above) hear it and accept that myth as truth. They then think something is wrong with them and their flying because they can't survive 3+ opponents in their Spitfire I. They then go to the forums, asking for help from the "AH gods," who then reiterate to them that turning better on the deck is the key to winning and having fun! At the same time, these same "AH gods" are getting killed by energy fighters, and so they come to the forum and decry using BnZ, HO shots, roping, etc., all because they can't be effectively countered by turnfighting. This is called a "clue"... and it's a joke.

If your flying prevented you from dying while allowing you to shoot someone else down, that's a good thing. If the other guy died, that's his fault. Who cares if you avoided several enemies and targeted a single pilot in a slower aircraft? He died, you lived. Who cares if you didn't get into a turnfight on the deck? Your opponent is in the tower, not you. So what if you exited a fight when someone else started to gain the advantage? Do you think pilots in WWII thought "Oh well, this A6M Zero in on my six, what honorable flying! Now I'll let him kill me because diving away would be dishonorable." No, the pilot fought with every resource he had until his opponent was down or until he was able to escape with his life.

There's nothing dishonorable about not getting shot down. It's tactically (and logically) ridiculous to enter and a furball and go into a turnfight, all for the sake of some non-existent honor. The honor in a dogfight goes to those who survived it. If you want a 1v1, go to the DA.

The MA is an all-out war. If you die in there, it's your fault. To the newer players like MAGIC: Don't let anyone's preference for a certain style of flight decide what you'll fly or how you'll fly it. Fly what you want and fly it to its strengths.

-=S=-
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 04:18:10 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
Beating one's framed membrane in public to announce their pixilated phantom testosterone surplus does not solve this problem. And back to the problem at hand.

1. - Very few players will spend time in the DA ever.
2. - Very few players have the risk tolerance to stand and fight alone.
3. - Most players are lazy, have little time to invest, and want the most fun their way for their $14.95.
4. - What few of those we have, currently keep us at 300 players on good nights, and we need the numbers to pay the light bill.

The common denominator is we are all equal due to being able to pay our $14.95 access fee. After which, everyone has the right play this game as they please. Or are you geniuses advocating HiTech hold a gun to their heads and force them all to allow you to abuse them in the DA to enhance your pixilated sense of self worth?

Seems the muppets spent a few years in here complaining about exactly the same thing with the same answers. The DA population filled up at Furball Lake for a while, which was a more realistic representation of the average player who pays the light bill.

Unfortunatly, playing Aces High like an Xbox FPS game exposes that this game was never designed to be that, and makes it a weakness that drives away combat simulator fans.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
The win the war has become the ONLY crowd.

More and more fighter guys have left and the few people that stay are those that play for score or win the war.
Your right
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 02:15:36 PM »
Spoken like a true energy fighter. If we were to play like you suggest there will be 8 or 10 people like you to zoom each other while you look for a new game to play much like the game you came from.

Turning and burning is the trill and excitement of the game. ANY BODY can energy fight if they have the patience and enjoy long boring Uneventful flights.

AH is a big sand box. There are many ways to play. Unfortunately the game play has morphed into play that makes furballing type fights fewer and further apart.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 02:17:21 PM »
If we were to play like you suggest there will be 8 or 10 people like you to zoom each other

That sounds like heaven!

Turning and burning is the trill and excitement of the game. ANY BODY can energy fight if they have the patience and enjoy long boring Uneventful flights.

Until someone comes in and kills the guys who are turning with extreme ease, and than the said turnfighters come in here and cry (which is why this thread was created). Yet, they somehow fail to recognize that if their style was as good as they say it is, they wouldn't have died so easily. Irony.

Further, turnfighting exists for a specific purpose in ACM. Over-using it is just as bad as over-using your flaps or any other air combat mechanic, and it has real consequences (such as being easy prey for energy fighters).

AH is a big sand box. There are many ways to play. Unfortunately the game play has morphed into play that makes furballing type fights fewer and further apart.

Yet again, what is the problem with this? You keep trying to assert your position that the majority likes to play a certain way without addressing the fact that if they like to play that way, they should find ways to make their playstyle work (instead of complaining how other people play). If your style of playing is so fragile that it can't stand up to someone else's well-executed playstyle, then your playstyle should be revised, not theirs.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:22:07 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 02:24:54 PM »
Getting shot down, under any circumstance, is ultimately your fault as the pilot.

The truth is that, from an ACM perspective, turning is and always will be inferior to energy fighting tactics (of which BnZ is a subset of). When everyone makes the same poor choice and turnfights, all is fun and well because everyone is doing the same thing (flying poorly and bleeding energy, from an ACM perspective), so no one can claim an advantage. However, all it takes is one smart pilot to realize that turning is tactically dumb, and then all he has to do is use energy tactics decimate the furballers.

Furballers don't like this, because it means they have to use actual ACM instead of the pseudo-gamey turn and stall and loop routine that appears to have been the standard for so long. It seems to be slowly dwindling away (thank God) and there may yet be hope for this game.

No turnfighter is good enough to engage 2+ competent opponents using turn tactics. Sure, you can engage inferior opponents using turn tactics and probably win, but all it takes is one competent energy fighter and you're done. The myth of "being able to take on 3-5+ guys in a turnfight on the deck" is just that: a myth. If you're routinely beating multiple guys in one vs many turnfights, you're either flying a much better plane than they are, or your opposition is terrible. Sure, an occasional win is possible, but statistically you won't survive.

To make matters worse, the above myth is repeated ad naseum until enthusiastic, yet inexperienced guys (like MAGIC58/mikev above) guys hear it and accept that myth as truth. They then think something is wrong with them and their flying because they can't survive 3+ opponents in their Spitfire I. They then go to the forums, asking for help from the "AH gods," who then reiterate to them that turning better on the deck is the key to winning and having fun! At the same time, these same "AH gods" are getting killed by energy fighters, and so they come to the forum and decry the use BnZ, HO shots, roping, etc., all because they can't be effectively countered by turnfighting. This is called a "clue"... and it's a joke.

If your flying prevented you from dying while allowing you to shoot someone else down, that's a good thing. If the other guy died, that's his fault. Who cares if you avoided several enemies and targeted a single pilot in a slower aircraft? He died, you lived. Who cares if you didn't get into a turnfight on the deck? Your opponent is in the tower, not you.

There's nothing dishonorable about not getting shot down. It's tactically (and logically) ridiculous to enter and a furball and go into a turnfight, all for the sake of some non-existent honor. The honor in a dogfight goes to those who survived it. If you want a 1v1, go to the DA.

The MA is an all-out war. If you die in there, it's your fault. To the newer players like MAGIC: Don't let anyone's preference for a certain style of flight decide what you'll fly or how you'll fly it. Fly what you want and fly it to its strengths.

-=S=

you right skyyr <S> i started out thinking your suppose to try to get on a players 6 before you shoot. that was the word i kept hearing for the first 5 months. now my first goal is to get out of the other guys gunsight anyway i can and get them into mine anyway i can .take each situation as if it was a real fight not a game. players call the spit a noob plane but im getting pretty good at its abilities ever since i changed my tactics. i may not always win but i am making it harder for the other guy now
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 02:28:18 PM »
Of course he's right, I just wish he'd be quiet about it.  The number of Spit 14s that try to turnfight my Spit 9 right now is....hilarious.  Long may it continue.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2015, 02:50:48 PM »
Bustr....every time one of these threads pops up there is always the 'quit whinning and act as if nothing happened' response. This time it is yours.

AH is going through a typical market shift and they either learn from what is going on or they die. If they die where do we go? That crap arcade game known as World of Planes or whatever?

The model is flawed and AH needs to act quickly, and decisively. They seem to be all in on eye candy. Will great graphics change having 200 sticks on a map the size of the Pacific ocean and no fights to be had? The culture is failed and needs to change.

Bottom line, shutting up and back to the grind is the death knell of AH. A few big changes are in order and openly discussing them is a great idea.

Much respect but...

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 03:09:24 PM »
   The draw of any game is how it challenges you. Too easy and you will soon get bored and leave.

This particular game can be very difficult to master at first. In the early days of AH many were on the same learning curve as we learned together. There were also the influx of new players regularly and they were helped and encouraged to get up to speed. The pilots skills you would encounter varied greatly. Kills were available for all. Remember the 10 kill streaks that were routine in the MA.

Now as the community has shrunk and has shed it's weaker players a noob will be overwhelmed and too frustrated to continue the game. Try putting a little leaguer at bat against the Major League pitchers. We need a farm league to train our future furballers, base takers, Squadies, whatever.

Free to play EWA with a limited plane set. What is your solution to draw more players? What the 12hr rule crowd didn't get is if numbers were up you would not care or have to switch sides. More players would negate many of the whines we have recorded.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.