Author Topic: Players to admire  (Read 23506 times)

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Players to admire
« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
Stampf.

He has what I consider the leadership qualities that attracts a real team and has made the best squad in the game.  Flying with him is always fun, immersive and JG11 employs proven tactics for success under his leadership.

I admire those who bring more to the game than they take.  Is he the best pilot in the game?  No.  If he was, I can guarantee it would not change him as he is a humble human with complete control of his ego.

I've played for more than 20 years through AW WB and now AH and have been in probably 20 squads.  I've had very good squad CO's and great fellow fighter pilots but there isn't a close second to what Stampf brings to the game.

If there is such a thing as a "professional" in a video game he would be it. :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Online Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
+ 1 for Stampf.  His commitment to the game and FSO as well as his general attitude is a rare thing here.  Always has a kind word for members, and is able to get into the discussions without being dragged into the mud slinging somehow. 

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #197 on: January 23, 2015, 10:54:30 AM »
It never was...officially. After the demise of Air Warrior, about 70+ Damned came over to AH1. So did the MAW's, AK's, LTAR'S and many other mega-squads. If you think there are hordes now, you should have been around on Sunday evenings back in those days. Granted there was a LOT of base taking, but the FIGHT took priority over winning the war. And fight we did. Guys like DmdDano, Fool, Ren, Coach, TC, Silat (many,many more) were top sticks and their wingman tactics were legendary.

The Damned Hay Day ran between 2002 - 2006. During that time some squaddies passed away  :salute others lost interest, real life obligations sidelined others. The Damned had a very active elist/newsgroup. Unfortunately, the topic of politics (go figure  :huh ) embroiled many squad members. The long time CO left and was replaced by another. More in-fighting ensued and slowly but surely the squad fell apart. Perhaps Tequila Chaser can tag on to my memories.

I sure do miss the "good ole days".

Good post Max...... I recently returned after a 6-7 year absence. I too long for the "good old days" . I know the Maw kinda got caught up in real life (I had kids and that took my flying time ) ..... and some peoples political views used to create problems .   The biggest thing i remember about the old days was there seemed to be more mutual respect for opponents ....salutes win or lose. And if you found a 1V1 fight your opponent nor yourself would use a HO as your opening move.  I miss the 600+ player nights where there was a brawl just about anywhere you looked...... but maybe AH3 will bring some of the older guys back ......here's to hoping . <S>   

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #198 on: January 23, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »

As for your list coppr I think even some of those have had their moments.     ;)
We have all had moments....but to have a years worth of moments :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #199 on: January 23, 2015, 11:52:46 AM »
Out of curiosity, when was the original damned disbanded?

It wasn't. The Damned that you're referring to came to AH from AW. What few people know is that TC went over to Fighter Ace (FA) and started The Damned there as well back in 98-99, but then left after a period of time. The Damned in FA shortly disbanded, then regrouped with new leadership of a player named BlunderingFool. Leadership eventually fell to Smokin, Raptor, and a few other FA pilots, until the close of FA back in 2010. Most of us took a hiatus from sims after that, but a few of us came over to AH in late 2013.

When we came over to AH, we flew with TC and the original "Damned AH crew" for awhile, but we determined that we were best off remaining separate due to philosophical differences. TC's Damned is still intact and a few of their members fly actively.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:00:04 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #200 on: January 23, 2015, 11:55:16 AM »
Stampf.

He has what I consider the leadership qualities that attracts a real team and has made the best squad in the game.  Flying with him is always fun, immersive and JG11 employs proven tactics for success under his leadership.

I admire those who bring more to the game than they take.  Is he the best pilot in the game?  No.  If he was, I can guarantee it would not change him as he is a humble human with complete control of his ego.

I've played for more than 20 years through AW WB and now AH and have been in probably 20 squads.  I've had very good squad CO's and great fellow fighter pilots but there isn't a close second to what Stampf brings to the game.

If there is such a thing as a "professional" in a video game he would be it. :aok

+ 1 for Stampf.  His commitment to the game and FSO as well as his general attitude is a rare thing here.  Always has a kind word for members, and is able to get into the discussions without being dragged into the mud slinging somehow.  

Wow.  Glad I checked back in here today.  Thank you Gentlemen. Those are kind words, and you all put a smile on my face here. Zoney makes the point that guides me - Add to the game, do not take away from it, or from others experiences in it.

I take fun, and the game serious, not myself.

<S>

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #201 on: January 23, 2015, 11:59:08 AM »

Wow.  Glad I checked back in here today.  Thank you Gentlemen. Those are kind words, and you all put a smile on my face here. Zoney makes the point that guides me - Add to the game, do not take away from it, or from others experiences in it.

<S>

Don't start getting the big head now, you hear? :cheers:

Seriously, you are good example for others to follow - I see it in your squad's interaction in events.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #202 on: January 23, 2015, 12:37:36 PM »
It never was...officially. After the demise of Air Warrior, about 70+ Damned came over to AH1. So did the MAW's, AK's, LTAR'S and many other mega-squads. If you think there are hordes now, you should have been around on Sunday evenings back in those days. Granted there was a LOT of base taking, but the FIGHT took priority over winning the war. And fight we did. Guys like DmdDano, Fool, Ren, Coach, TC, Silat (many,many more) were top sticks and their wingman tactics were legendary.

The Damned Hay Day ran between 2002 - 2006. During that time some squaddies passed away  :salute others lost interest, real life obligations sidelined others. The Damned had a very active elist/newsgroup. Unfortunately, the topic of politics (go figure  :huh ) embroiled many squad members. The long time CO left and was replaced by another. More in-fighting ensued and slowly but surely the squad fell apart. Perhaps Tequila Chaser can tag on to my memories.

I sure do miss the "good ole days".
:aok
Lot of great guys there, Coach always good for a laugh, NB aka Fidel, always a great guy and was one of the first guys to help me out on aolhell when AW started there.. And everyone has a comment for Silat- good peeps and was always a lot of fun -back in the day :)

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #203 on: January 23, 2015, 01:22:55 PM »

I couldnt agree enough  :aok

AMEN! We don't need more "ELITE" pilots like SKYYR or poison, or some other posters in here. We need more GOOD PEOPLE like NRShida, Fudmukkr, RedBull, Latrobe, Debrody, ThreeUp, NikonGuy...the list goes on...Tongs, Simon, SEagle, F77, 50CALMG, Rollya, DikTatr. There are more of us then there are of you, and you resent it. Good.

Yes to all these, but dont sell yourself short, your name as well should be on that list.....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 01:24:38 PM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »

<S>

I think you're a potty mouth.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2015, 01:46:10 PM »
I think you're a potty mouth.

:rofl

Terrible at times for sure.  This is a fight'n game afterall.   I'll never forget back in the AvA how much crap 'TheBug" used to give me...damn he could sling the smack right up there with the likes of Shane.  :aok  Then when he finally joined the 11th he says, "Damn, you guys aren't so nice afterall."  No, we're no angels indeed. I suppose the only real difference is we have always kept in in house and on squad vox.  I have always stressed humility in victory. I don't care for boasters.  When you become...elite...in any endeavor...you don't have to tell people yourself.  When you never have to defend your squadron, for others will do it for you...you know you have arrived. I think that one thing as much as anything has allowed the squad to persevere this long considering the particulars involved.

That, and good men.  You have to have good men.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »

Add to the game, do not take away from it, or from others experiences in it.

I take fun, and the game serious, not myself.   <S>

I couldn't agree with this more.  There are many players who are committed to contributing something positive to the game, above and beyond their own enjoyment of it, who should be recognized and admired -- whether it is in designing and CMing events, running an FSO squad, training others in the TA, or simply giving people a good fight in the MA without chest-beating and saluting win or lose.

It would be great if every current player (especially members of "the new damned") read this and gave it a bit of thought.  It is noteworthy that this is the approach that gets you on people's "Players to admire" list.  The fact that many players do this without needing to get their names up in lights is what is good about this community -- it's not a failing, as the damned try to make it out to be.  

Sadly the one leading their charge here in the forum and in the MA is beyond hope.  You know he's admitted to doing the same thing in Fighter Ace for ten years.  His attitude and intentions in Aces High can be summed up single statement he recently made on 200: "I don't care if Aces High fails. If HTC closed their doors tomorrow, I would laugh hysterically." -Skyyr

I encourage the community to ignore him and move on.  Maybe there is some hope for others in his squad who will eventually learn that posting and boasting, regardless of how good you think your score is, will not get you a wide measure of respect or admiration -- it only gets attention.  Attention gained is short lived.  Respect earned will last a long, long time.

My two cents...

<S>
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:07:06 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #208 on: January 23, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »
How does every thread turns into a damned roast (pun intended). Not that I am a fan of the damned, but this endless attention just derails every thread. Just ignore them.
Of course my advice above is self-violating, but there was no way to deliver it without mentioning the specific case.  :rolleyes:

Players I admired (looking back over 14 years since they are gone now): Drex and Lephturn. I learned a lot from both and the AHF films that they posted. Drex was just crazy good. Lephturn went out of his way to help noobs and get them into the game, both in the arenas and on the forum. Then there were Sancho and Frenchy from which I learned that any plane can dogfight and in particular the Jugs can mix it up. Frenchy is still around so don't tell him I said that. These days I admire ET37 - not because he is exceptionally good, but because he always gets something interesting going in what would otherwise be a dull evening in Rookland. His are the only missions that I join. Pipz I admire for openly admitting to be a Canadian.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #209 on: January 23, 2015, 02:03:46 PM »
:rofl

Terrible at times for sure.  This is a fight'n game afterall.   I'll never forget back in the AvA how much crap 'TheBug" used to give me...damn he could sling the smack right up there with the likes of Shane.  :aok  Then when he finally joined the 11th he says, "Damn, you guys aren't so nice afterall."  No, we're no angels indeed. I suppose the only real difference is we have always kept in in house and on squad vox.  I have always stressed humility in victory. I don't care for boasters.  When you become...elite...in any endeavor...you don't have to tell people yourself.  When you never have to defend your squadron, for others will do it for you...you know you have arrived. I think that one thing as much as anything has allowed the squad to persevere this long considering the particulars involved.

That, and good men.  You have to have good men.

It wasn't a complaint by the way  :D