Author Topic: Players to admire  (Read 23502 times)

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
Re: Players to admire
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2015, 02:08:24 PM »

I couldn't agree with this more.  There are many players who are committed to contributing something positive to the game above and beyond their own enjoyment of it who should be recognized -- whether it is in designing and CMing events, running an FSO squad, training others in the TA, or simply giving people a good fight in the MA without chest-beating and saluting win or lose.

It would be great if every current player (especially members of "the new damned") read this and gave it a bit of thought.  It is noteworthy that this is the approach that gets you on people's "Players to admire" list.  The fact that many players do this without needing to get their names up in lights is what is good about this community -- it's not a failing, as the damned try to make it out to be.  

Sadly the one leading their charge here in the forum and in the MA is beyond hope.  You know he's admitted to doing the same thing in Fighter Ace for ten years.  His attitude and intentions in Aces High can be summed up single statement he recently made on 200: "I don't care if Aces High fails. If HTC closed their doors tomorrow, I would laugh hysterically." -Skyyr

I encourage the community to ignore him and move on.  Maybe there is some hope for others in his squad who will eventually learn that posting and boasting, regardless of how good you think your score is, will not get you a wide measure of respect or admiration -- it only gets attention, not admiration.  Attention gained is short lived.  Respect earned will last a long, long time.

My two cents...

<S>

yup ryno you deserve credit for your efforts , you changed me from a drill bit to at least a fighting chance now  :salute
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »
Good Gawd Stampf.  I'm not even in your squad and after reading that, I'd follow you into a buzzsaw.     :rock  :D

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2015, 02:13:34 PM »
How does every thread turns into a damned roast (pun intended). Not that I am a fan of the damned, but this endless attention just derails every thread. Just ignore them.
Of course my advice above is self-violating, but there was no way to deliver it without mentioning the specific case.  :rolleyes:

Players I admired (looking back over 14 years since they are gone now): Drex and Lephturn. I learned a lot from both and the AHF films that they posted. Drex was just crazy good. Lephturn went out of his way to help noobs and get them into the game, both in the arenas and on the forum. Then there were Sancho and Frenchy from which I learned that any plane can dogfight and in particular the Jugs can mix it up. Frenchy is still around so don't tell him I said that. These days I admire ET37 - not because he is exceptionally good, but because he always gets something interesting going in what would otherwise be a dull evening in Rookland. His are the only missions that I join. Pipz I admire for openly admitting to be a Canadian.

totally agree ET37 has by far the best and most interesting missions ,not to mention the most humor
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2015, 03:00:23 PM »

Stampf.

He has what I consider the leadership qualities that attracts a real team and has made the best squad in the game.  Flying with him is always fun, immersive and JG11 employs proven tactics for success under his leadership.

I admire those who bring more to the game than they take.  Is he the best pilot in the game?  No.  If he was, I can guarantee it would not change him as he is a humble human with complete control of his ego.

I've played for more than 20 years through AW WB and now AH and have been in probably 20 squads.  I've had very good squad CO's and great fellow fighter pilots but there isn't a close second to what Stampf brings to the game.
:aok

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2015, 03:04:40 PM »
can be summed up single statement he recently made on 200:

Would you happen to have a screenshot of that quote? Or film?
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2015, 03:13:36 PM »
How does every thread turns into a damned roast (pun intended). Not that I am a fan of the damned, but this endless attention just derails every thread. Just ignore them.

Because certain people feel the need to reinforce their dogma.

This is why we prefer competition and objectivity when it comes to gameplay and guidelines; believe what you want and, if it's true, you'll be vindicated when you win. If you lose, it might not really be that great of a position to hold.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »
Nothing wrong with measuring by the objective rulers available in this game, but many fly and interact based on reaching goals that aren't measured by score, wins, rank, or perks.  Its like weekend softball.  Some are there to get the plastic trophy for their mantle as priority #1 and others are more concerned with the fundraiser for new bleachers, keeping the cooler full and ribs seasoned for the BBQ after the game.  Most have some balance of both.

With the right attitude they can all have a good time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 03:32:41 PM by Aspen »
AMAX  in game

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2015, 03:44:18 PM »

I auto-film and save most of my sorties, so yes I probably do have it on film.
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2015, 03:48:24 PM »
Please post it. I believe it and want it proved once and for all.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2015, 03:56:02 PM »

Ah, so you put quotes around something that you didn't copy verbatim. Got it. That explains the inaccuracy.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

A few moments later...

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2015, 04:13:59 PM »
:noid

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2015, 04:48:02 PM »
Ah, so you put quotes around something that you didn't copy verbatim. Got it. That explains the inaccuracy.

I quoted it precisely as I recall it being said.  Unfortunately, I am not at my gaming computer at the moment, so I can't post a screen shot. The reason I remember the comment is because it struck a chord with me and I found the comment very revealing.  You can call it "inaccurate" but that is the gist of what you said.

Are you now denying that you said you would laugh if the game shut down tomorrow?

I believe it was in discussion with either Scotch or Dodger on 200.  Perhaps they recall it as well, since it was directed at them.

p.s. My apologies to the community for dragging this subject out.  I was baited into responding and will do so no longer.  Time to follow my own advice.  Let's get off the subject of this character and take a 180 back onto to the subject of admirable characteristics in AH players.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 04:59:19 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2015, 04:51:03 PM »

Is this going to be a semantics or context excuse (because if you 200 texted anything even close to that you may be better off using the 'high on crack' defense). My squadie, Ryno, isn't in the habit of making things up.

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2015, 05:17:33 PM »
Been meaning to ask you Scotch, does Freez still check in with you gents? Another good guy.

Last time heard from Freez he posted a bunch of hawt IDF (the real ones) women w/ rifles.. Was pretty good stuff.. He was deployed at the time but doing well.. Thats been a minute though..  
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:19:04 PM by kappa »
- TWBYDHAS

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2015, 05:19:59 PM »
Last time heard from Freez he posted a bunch of hawt IDF women w/ rifles.. Was pretty good stuff.. He was deployed at the time but doing well.. Thats been a minute though.. 

How do we get in touch with them ... errr ... him?