Author Topic: Players to admire  (Read 23505 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: Players to admire
« Reply #420 on: February 01, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »
See here for reference: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/415651-Turnfighting-more-difficult-than-boom-and-zoom-Forums

This is a thread in IL2, and it's not a very uncommon subject. In almost every other sim, turnfighting is viewed as unskilled, yet intuitive and energy fighting is the skilled approach. And this is a tame thread, where the views are split somewhat. Wait until you get into competition ladders and see what the top players' true opinions are of "turnfighting," "HO'ing" (actually called deflection shots elsewhere), and so forth. It's a stark difference to the "it's unskilled and lame" comments here.

I could post numerous other links showing that my views are not only normal, but that they are quite common and completely validated across air combat sims as a genre. These views are validated because they're almost entirely results-based (i.e. objective). My views and playstyle stem from that.

The "collective" can ridicule me all day long, and it bounces right off, because for every player claiming I'm pathetic for being forthright, there's 1,000+ across the genre as a whole proving I'm right. I'm not going to stop posting the truth of the matter just because a collective (ironic choice of words) thinks otherwise.

What is mind boggling to me is how poor your comprehension skills are.  Everyone has stated repeatedly that you are welcome to fly any way you want.

So why continue to argue about it. 

The thread is about people in the game that are admired.  No matter how desperate you are to be admired, you can't demand that other people admire you.

People in the AH community are admired for any number of reasons, mainly for how they present themselves, what they contribute to the game and in how they treat other players.

Your defensiveness over the way you fly and your ad nauseum attempts to convince others of the virtue with which you fly is beyond sad at this point.  Personally I've reached the point of pitying you as your self worth seems very poor.

You can claim to be the greatest cartoon pilot in the history of flight sims, but what you've contributed to the AH community from what I've seen is nothing.  The latest and greatest self proclaimed AH gods come and go.  I can't think of a single one of them I've admired for thier scoring or style of play.   There are a number of them I've admired for the way they approached and played the game however.  Keep in mind style of play and how one plays the game are two different things.

I hope you figure that out some day.  Until then you are just another set of pixels in the arena. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #421 on: February 01, 2015, 12:22:08 PM »

What is mind boggling to me is how poor your comprehension skills are.  Everyone has stated repeatedly that you are welcome to fly any way you want.

So why continue to argue about it. 

The thread is about people in the game that are admired.  No matter how desperate you are to be admired, you can't demand that other people admire you.

People in the AH community are admired for any number of reasons, mainly for how they present themselves, what they contribute to the game and in how they treat other players.

Your defensiveness over the way you fly and your ad nauseum attempts to convince others of the virtue with which you fly is beyond sad at this point.  Personally I've reached the point of pitying you as your self worth seems very poor.

You can claim to be the greatest cartoon pilot in the history of flight sims, but what you've contributed to the AH community from what I've seen is nothing.  The latest and greatest self proclaimed AH gods come and go.  I can't think of a single one of them I've admired for thier scoring or style of play.   There are a number of them I've admired for the way they approached and played the game however.  Keep in mind style of play and how one plays the game are two different things.

I hope you figure that out some day.  Until then you are just another set of pixels in the arena. 

Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #422 on: February 01, 2015, 12:26:09 PM »
. The same goes for honor, respect, and so forth.

-=S=-
Was going to post but honestly it's better if nobody even replies to him....they have an agenda here that's why every time I read one of his post it's like...How can this kid not get it? Why is she talking about that? Does he understand that the majority understand exactly what he is saying? Does he understand most of the community started out E fighting and found it to be "easy" and boring?

Later thread this one needs to just get locked, again The Damned turned something that was supposed to be the first decent thread in a while into their dog and pony show.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #423 on: February 01, 2015, 01:19:52 PM »
And what do you think "winning" is? It's doing your job and succeeding. That means you kill the enemy as quickly and efficiently as possible.

If you're in a 109 fighting 80+ US fighters, are you going to try some AH-based "honorable" tactic and turn and loop and avoid shots forward of the 3/9 line? No, you're going to shoot down every fighter that crosses your windscreen, whether it's in the face or not; you're going to rope, stay vertical, and do whatever you can to kill as many as you can and then get home alive... because what matters is beating the other guy and nothing else.

The guys here talking of "honor" in combat have no conception of actual warfare.

Skyrr, if you study WWII history, sooner or later you will run across this example of honor in actual warfare.   Apologies if this example has been brought up in the thread already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brown_and_Franz_Stigler_incident

<S>

« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 01:25:05 PM by oboe »

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #424 on: February 01, 2015, 01:40:39 PM »
Some players I've admired over my years in AH. Some are based on skill and others are based on what they offered me in AH.

5. Changeup, skyrock, and bear76
      -  They have been over whelmingly generous to give me a headset, rudder peddles, and an SSD card. A  players generosity like these 3 have been more than admirable and thankful to me and AH.

<S>

I've enjoyed every minute of watching you fly bub... :salute
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #425 on: February 01, 2015, 01:47:19 PM »
Skyrr, if you study WWII history, sooner or later you will run across this example of honor in actual warfare.   Apologies if this example has been brought up in the thread already.

(Image removed from quote.)

<S>

not that I give a crap what that mutt says...but damn fine point...one of the best actually, of what true Honor is.....and the exact opposite of what he thinks. :salute

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #426 on: February 01, 2015, 02:20:27 PM »
Recent posts bring up an interesting point -  I would "admire" a player who donated hardware, subscription fees, his time in the training arena, and so on, much more, and long before, I would "admire" somebody with the ability to win duels or be ranked #1.  That said, there is nothing wrong with admiring skill in the game, but attitude and generosity should both rank above skill IMO.  I think many (certainly not all considering who just started posting in the thread this week) probably feel the same.  There is also a number of players who do all the above - demonstrate great skill, take time to help others, have a great, friendly attitude, and donate hardware/sub fees.  

I think it was Big R that just recently posted, giving away a decent video card after upgrading, plus he's excellent in the P51, so he gets my nod for player of the week.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #427 on: February 01, 2015, 02:48:11 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

<S>

And in that example, the bomber was no longer a threat. It was honor after the fact, at least on the part of the Germans. That is why it was let go. Again, completely different from "not HO'ing," turnfighting for sportsmanship, etc.

Yes, I can agree that is "honor," but not in the same manner that routinely gets brought up here.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »
Gotta love how you avoid that which you can't explain away.

What does any of your blathering have to do with a thread talking about players that are admired?  You ca t possibly be that attention starved.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2015, 03:29:07 PM »
Gotta love how you avoid that which you can't explain away.

What does any of your blathering have to do with a thread talking about players that are admired?  You ca t possibly be that attention starved.

That has been his M.O. the entire time here in AH.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2015, 03:43:52 PM »
As I said before, ignore him and he loses.

In fact I'm actually trying out the ignore feature for the first time, it's pretty cool. :aok
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2015, 03:45:22 PM »
Good idea how does it work again?
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2015, 03:51:04 PM »
Profile>personal message options>ignore list :aok
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #433 on: February 01, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »