Author Topic: How to fight with E  (Read 2494 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: How to fight with E
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 10:32:48 AM »
Your not gonna win an energy fight in a 39 in the MA against an A6m .. because his four mate's in LA's, Yak-3's, Niki's & Ki-84's are never far away  :lol

In all seriousness you would have to have a lot of energy over your opponent because energy disapears fast in a 39, in game  :frown:

Fly with trim, throttle off in turns, have good aim .. easy  :D

NG :salute

Flying in trim is a good idea but flying with trim makes no sense. Throttle off in turns is also questionable advice. Could you explain what you mean and why you think reducing E in an E fight is good general advice?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:41:12 AM by FLS »

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »
Its like driving a car around a bend at speed .. what happens if you do it at full throttle?  The car wants to stay in a straight line right .. The faster the speed the harder it is to turn, etc .. so you need to calculate how much speed you have and what you can do with it .. this is where judging your opponents E is imperative :)

The use of the right flap settings, trim, power setting and your speed all have a major influence on your turn :)

Also the combat trim system is designed to keep your aircraft in a straight line .. hence diving .. CT will plow you into the ground unless you disengage it and trim up :)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 07:15:39 PM by NikonGuy »
You break 'em, I fix 'em.
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2015, 07:37:47 PM »
Its like driving a car around a bend at speed .. what happens if you do it at full throttle?  The car wants to stay in a straight line right .. The faster the speed the harder it is to turn, etc .. so you need to calculate how much speed you have and what you can do with it .. this is where judging your opponents E is imperative :)

The use of the right flap settings, trim, power setting and your speed all have a major influence on your turn :)

Also the combat trip system is designed to keep your aircraft in a straight line .. hence diving .. CT will plow you into the ground unless you disengage it and trim up :)

Your analogy is true for aircraft as long as they have wheels on the ground. Once they are flying they may turn better or worse with more thrust.
Consider my explanation of corner speed's effect on turn rate and radius in the exiting a rolling scissor ' s thread.

Combat trim is actually designed to let you fly straight and level with your stick centered. It does not prevent pulling up in a dive . Compression from high speed can fly you into the ground unless you trim up but that's not due to CT.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2015, 08:20:50 PM »
Taking combat trim off in a fight and pretending you can use trim to out roll your enemy is laughable. Combat trim adjust your trim to the max potential and then re-stabalizes your plane. Turning it off leaves your plane cockeyed at certain positions in the fight which can throw you off when performing maneuvers.

This thread is about "escaping" a rolling scissors. There are only a few certainties that you could work your way out of. Those assumptions have been entertained. Either you figure out a way to use E to perform a split S to spiral climb and hope you pull off the rope, normally In faster less turnable planes. Or you break the roll into a chase and attempt to force an overshoot. Managing E, throttle, and flaps with timing of the rolls, compared to the enemies E state is what takes practice and experience to break the roll before you lose too much E. 
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »
 I am stating what works for me and if the OP wants to entertain those idea's then fantastic, if some of you want to assume its rubbish then so be it :)

As far as using CT to help in certain situations being laughable, then can I recommend you try it Demon .. you might get a surprise.

Most 1 v 1's I win .. due to techniques listed above.  It works for me .. thats all I care about :)

<S>

FLS, if you take two A6m's .. one is doing 150 and the other 400 .. which one is going to turn tighter assuming they are at the same attitude?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:08:07 PM by NikonGuy »
RAAF Retired Aircraft Maintenance Technician, General Dynamics F111, Lockheed P3C, Douglas A20G & DB7

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2015, 10:46:50 PM »

FLS, if you take two A6m's .. one is doing 150 and the other 400 .. which one is going to turn tighter assuming they are at the same attitude?

Why wouldn't the faster Zeke spiral climb?  :D

For any given g load the faster aircraft makes a bigger turn. For any given speed the higher g load makes a tighter turn.

If your 2 A6m's are going 130mph and 180mph which one can turn faster and which one can turn tighter?

Offline NikonGuy

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 12:59:08 AM »
yep, you're right and everyone else is wrong :P

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:34 AM »
This thread is about "escaping" a rolling scissors...

Actually that's another thread. This is the "How to fight with E" thread.   ;)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 03:56:49 AM »
How do you escape this thread once you get in it?  :bolt:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 07:11:27 AM »
How do you escape this thread once you get in it? 

...well...I suppose you could apply the rolling scissors...?

- oldman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 09:26:23 AM »
Actually that's another thread. This is the "How to fight with E" thread.   ;)

Oops hahaha got them mixed up.

The problem I have with turning combat trim off. Is that during a fight many will adjust trim to up elevator in order to go up more quickly in the roll around. However, once you get around the trim does not fix itself and the player couldn't possibly control the trim quickly enough while looking around and doing flaps, throttle and all that at the same time, so even if you win the rolling scissors your plane will be constantly going up as you attempt trim the plane down. This gives the opponent a couple of extra seconds to squirm away while you attempt to make an out of trim difficult shot.

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 10:02:25 AM »
Trim doesn't improve any maneuver. It only changes the position of the stick for a given input. In other words changing the trim setting for the elevator could see you flying level with the stick back, centered, or forward, depending on your elevator trim setting. This is true if the trim is set manually or by combat trim.

When you use scaling trim can change the amount of control surface deflection from a given stick deflection.  For example with default scaling moving the stick a 1/4 inch from center will give less elevator movement than moving the stick a 1/4 inch when the stick is halfway between centered and full deflection. So when your trim is changing your stick response can also be changing. In that case using Combat Trim gives you more consistent response.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 10:09:28 AM »

...well...I suppose you could apply the rolling scissors...?

- oldman
.....only if you are using your lift vector.    :D

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 10:58:17 AM »
Nice read .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 12:07:16 PM »
Trim doesn't improve any maneuver.

Under circumstances and especially with flaps down, combat trim will actually hamper some maneuvers. Good example is slow Ki-84 with fully deployed flaps. You'll have a hard time pushing nose down. That's where manual trim helps a lot. Of course, manually trimming during fight can be just one more thing that kills you. Usually you'd trim plane as neutral as possible before entering the fight, with only slight corrections during fight, if absolutely necessary.

For the most part, combat trim works just fine, but there are times (and planes) when you can really benefit from manual trim.