Author Topic: Problem with a build  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Re: Problem with a build
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 02:11:57 PM »
I just recently had to fix my uncles computer. While I was working with the box upside down I was checking the pin order and trying to squeeze my hands to the tiny crevice in order to get the connectors in. Despite checking and double checking I managed to plug the power switch connector to the LED pin and the LED pin to the power i.e. upside down. I noticed this when the computer wouldn't boot.

Gee those annoying bellybutton things, did it yesterday I hate them, I guess I gotta check, but would that affect the PSU? Should it?
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »
Gee those annoying bellybutton things, did it yesterday I hate them, I guess I gotta check, but would that affect the PSU? Should it?

The PSU won't have life on it unless it detects the power switch being used. If your motherboard or graphics card has leds, they should however light up (in most cases) even before you press power.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
The PSU won't have life on it unless it detects the power switch being used. If your motherboard or graphics card has leds, they should however light up (in most cases) even before you press power.

I haven't installed the graphics card so it'd be easy to reach stuff with the pins, I hope maybe I just didn't put the power cable into the MB correctly, and it fit perfectly, I just have a great feeling I'm doing something wrong
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 02:27:30 PM »
I haven't installed the graphics card so it'd be easy to reach stuff with the pins, I hope maybe I just didn't put the power cable into the MB correctly, and it fit perfectly, I just have a great feeling I'm doing something wrong

Your motherboard may refuse to start without a graphics card. Assemble it fully (PSU plugged in not forgetting the 12V auxiliary motherboard plug, cpu, cpu cooler, graphics card, at least 1 ram stick in the slot), then try.

Missing graphics, missing cpu and missing ram are basically fatal errors that may stop you from booting. And by booting I mean that the mobo won't even power up.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »
Your motherboard may refuse to start without a graphics card. Assemble it fully (PSU plugged in not forgetting the 12V auxiliary motherboard plug, cpu, cpu cooler, graphics card, at least 1 ram stick in the slot), then try.

Missing graphics, missing cpu and missing ram are basically fatal errors that may stop you from booting.

This has literally brightened my mood, thanks I will do it. I also never knew about the auxiliary power cord for the MB.

That strikes a cord in my memory, no wonder the guy in teh tutorial installed every single thing into the motherboard before a test boot.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:31:31 PM by Someguy63 »
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 02:31:42 PM »
This has literally brightened my mood, thanks I will do it. I also never knew about the auxiliary power cord for the MB.

It's usually on the back panel side of the CPU. You may have one or two of these. Without the cable the mobo stays dead. Easy to overlook.

Your PSU should have a cable like in picture '4 pin 12V' and this NEEDS to be plugged.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:35:50 PM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 02:34:59 PM »
It's usually on the back panel side of the CPU. You may have one or two of these. Without the cable the mobo stays dead. Easy to overlook.

(Image removed from quote.)

Ok, I've got it, appreciate the help guys, after Im able to do this in a few hours I'll post here to share the results.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

regarding the underlined part above, you will either have a 4 pin or an 8 pin connector..... most likely it will be an 8 pin if the MB is of the expensive type ( higher tier MB )

best of luck to you

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 02:39:35 PM »
regarding the underlined part above, you will either have a 4 pin or an 8 pin connector..... most likely it will be an 8 pin if the MB is of the expensive type ( higher tier MB )

best of luck to you

TC

In my previous motherboards the extra connector has been capped, the motherboard booted with only one connector attached. Of course this may not be the case on every motherboard. Many PSU:s have only a single 4-pin aux plug though.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 02:46:07 PM »
In my previous motherboards the extra connector has been capped, the motherboard booted with only one connector attached. Of course this may not be the case on every motherboard. Many PSU:s have only a single 4-pin aux plug though.

Yes Sir, MrRiplEy[H], that is why I mentioned that the 8 pin ( or doubled up 4 pin 12v ) connector is mainly found on the high end boards, as like you just posted most boards only have a or need a 4 pin 12v connector to run, however some few MB's need the 8 pin 12v to run correctly.....

your post is correct though, I was not arguing anything about it, just helping with the addition of it might be an 8 pin 12v connector ( or 2 4pin-12v connectors hooked together as I have seen on some PSU's )

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »
Yes Sir, MrRiplEy[H], that is why I mentioned that the 8 pin ( or doubled up 4 pin 12v ) connector is mainly found on the high end boards, as like you just posted most boards only have a or need a 4 pin 12v connector to run, however some few MB's need the 8 pin 12v to run correctly.....

your post is correct though, I was not arguing anything about it, just helping with the addition of it might be an 8 pin 12v connector ( or 2 4pin-12v connectors hooked together as I have seen on some PSU's )

TC

Let's hope that the OP doesn't have a mobo that needs 8 pins and a PSU that has only 4... can happen  :old:

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 02:51:38 PM »
Let's hope that the OP doesn't have a mobo that needs 8 pins and a PSU that has only 4... can happen  :old:

I hope not, especially since my PSU isn't modular, but the MB I have isn't a real high-end one, it only costed 150.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 02:55:01 PM »
I hope not, especially since my PSU isn't modular, but the MB I have isn't a real high-end one, it only costed 150.

Even if your motherboard has 8 pins and your PSU 4, just plug the existing plug in and try it. Most likely it will do the trick. The extra plug is for extreme loads created by heavy overclocking.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 02:55:43 PM »
Even if your motherboard has 8 pins and your PSU 4, just plug the existing plug in and try it. Most likely it will do the trick. The extra plug is for extreme loads created by heavy overclocking.

Will do.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 03:16:25 PM »
reseat memory and cpu.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"