Author Topic: Problem with a build  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
Problem with a build
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:42:53 PM »
I've got the motherboard, cpu, psu, and such installed. I plug in front panel connectors, then the motherboard main 24 pin power connecter and then the 8 pin cpu connector. I then plug the switch to the psu to on, and nothing happens, at all. I press the on button on the front of the case and still nothing.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Re: Problem with a build
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 01:10:29 PM »
Are there any lights on the motherboard on?  You can jump the power switch pins on the power header with a screwdriver to make sure the switch isnt bad...... just touch the 2 pins with the screwdriver and it will start the pc up.....but thats only if the switch is bad ....odds are if the switch worked recently and it's plugged in right ..... its prolly a psu issue.

I've had new PSu's come in for customers that were DOA ...rare but it happens .  If all else fails you might want to try your old PSU and see if it boots the system.

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 01:16:26 PM »
Are there any lights on the motherboard on?  You can jump the power switch pins on the power header with a screwdriver to make sure the switch isnt bad...... just touch the 2 pins with the screwdriver and it will start the pc up.....but thats only if the switch is bad ....odds are if the switch worked recently and it's plugged in right ..... its prolly a psu issue.

I've had new PSu's come in for customers that were DOA ...rare but it happens .  If all else fails you might want to try your old PSU and see if it boots the system.

I saw not one light. And are the power headers in the whats it called, JPM1 pins? Cause I've plugged the front panel connectors there, otherwise I'll have to check the manual I have no idea where the power header is (im new at this stuff, first time).
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 01:18:41 PM »
When you turn the PSU on does the PSU fan go on?

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:19:25 PM »
When you turn the PSU on does the PSU fan go on?

Not at all

In some tutorials I've seen it doesn't turn on, I assumed it was normal until I plugged it into the MB
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »
Does the PSU have an on/off switch?
Easily overlooked.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »
Does the PSU have an on/off switch?
Easily overlooked.

Coogan

Yup, and it has been set to on
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 01:38:27 PM »
Check and make sure the power cable is plugged in. If it is check and make sure it is seated properly into Psu. Next make sure if nothing happens  that u check and make sure your to power cords going to your mobo are in there slots.  Make sure you have them seated and that they clicked when they went in. 
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 01:40:58 PM »
Yup, and it has been set to on

Insert the power cable to your PSU and plug it to the wall socket, that helps usually.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »
Insert the power cable to your PSU and plug it to the wall socket, that helps usually.

I did
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »
Check and make sure the power cable is plugged in. If it is check and make sure it is seated properly into Psu. Next make sure if nothing happens  that u check and make sure your to power cords going to your mobo are in there slots.  Make sure you have them seated and that they clicked when they went in. 

The power cable was in right, still nothing, and the mb power connectors are in, but they don't click when inserted, as in they're not supposed to
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 01:48:44 PM »
I saw not one light. And are the power headers in the whats it called, JPM1 pins? Cause I've plugged the front panel connectors there, otherwise I'll have to check the manual I have no idea where the power header is (im new at this stuff, first time).
After having built and rebuilt dozens and dozens of computers for about 15 years I still look at the manual for front panel connectors. And other too. There's no reliable standard, case manufacturers use different words than motherboard makers etc. Brand manufacturers may even use some 20 pin blocks with only three pairs of pins used!

You can test your whether your PSU is totally out of business with this simple method: http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 01:49:54 PM »
After having built and rebuilt dozens and dozens of computers for about 15 years I still look at the manual for front panel connectors. And other too. There's no reliable standard, case manufacturers use different words than motherboard makers etc. Brand manufacturers may even use some 20 pin blocks with only three pairs of pins used!

You can test your whether your PSU is totally out of business with this simple method: http://www.wikihow.com/Check-a-Power-Supply

Yep it's easy to plug the connectors in the wrong way if you hold the computer upside down like often is necessary if you plug the pins while the motherboard is already installed.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 01:59:23 PM »
Yep it's easy to plug the connectors in the wrong way if you hold the computer upside down like often is necessary if you plug the pins while the motherboard is already installed.

Matching positive with positive and negative with negative right? Im sure I did it right, but regardless the damn thing doesn't start.

I guess I'll try the link biz posted
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:02:59 PM by Someguy63 »
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 02:03:38 PM »
Matching positive with positive and negative with negative right? Im sure I did it right, but regardless the damn thing doesn't start.

I just recently had to fix my uncles computer. While I was working with the box upside down I was checking the pin order and trying to squeeze my hands to the tiny crevice in order to get the connectors in. Despite checking and double checking I managed to plug the power switch connector to the LED pin and the LED pin to the power i.e. upside down. I noticed this when the computer wouldn't boot.