Author Topic: Terrain Editor  (Read 23872 times)

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Terrain Editor
« Reply #480 on: March 30, 2016, 09:19:50 AM »
Okay I got my answer from skuzzy keep the total object count for AH3 terrains under 50,000. For you new builders to find your total object count:

• In the Terrain Editor click on object tab
  • Down at the bottom you will see an "Object Report" button. Click on it
  • The object report dialog/modal will come up. At the top you will see "Total field" and then "Total objects". HTC best practice for terrains is that "Total objects" should not exceed 50,000.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:39:24 AM by ghostdancer »
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #481 on: March 30, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »
Okay I am not sure if this is just me or a bug with the TE make map feature.

For special events we create "strat maps" that show the location of fields and strat facilities for the CMs so they can design their events (need to know where airfields, etc. are so they can plan targets for an event). In AH2 when you went to make a map you could choose to show icons, grid lines, field names, spawn points, and a map size.

So in AH3 I did this:

• Click on Make Map
  • Checked show icons
  • Unchecked show grid lines
  • Choose 2048x2048

It made map 1 (no icons).

• Click on Make Map
  • Checked show icons
  • Left show grid lines checked
  • Choose 2048x2048

It made map 2 (no icons). Is anybody else having the same issue or does it work for you?
CM Terrain Team

Offline 68falcon

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #482 on: March 31, 2016, 11:40:16 AM »
Not working for me either
Commanding Officer
68th Lightning Lancers
Fear the Reaper no more. Fear the Lancers

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #483 on: April 04, 2016, 07:12:30 PM »
It has been that way since I started testing the AH3 terrain editor since the late 80's alpha patches. Probably on the todo list like roads.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 715

• Silver Member
Object LOD and mipmapping
« Reply #484 on: April 18, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
I tried searching but I couldn't find an answer so I'd like to ask some (possibly dumb) questions about importing custom objects (like buildings, bridges, etc.) into AH3 Object Editor. 

1) Does AH3 import objects with multiple dLOD levels?  If yes, is there a limit to how many?  I haven't started playing with AC3D yet, but I presume the UV texture mipmapping comes automatically since each dLOD has it's own texture map?

2) What's a good limit for number of polygons for a building in AH3?

3) How do you assign a "destroyed" model to an object?

4) Does anyone know of a program that automatically generates dLOD models/textures from the closeup detail model?

I probably should have played with AC3D before asking these questions, but I didn't want to waste time on learning LOD/mipmapping if AH3 doesn't support it on imported custom objects.  I've also played with Blender, which I find weird but workable.  Is it possible to import into AH3 from Blender?  What modeling program do you object makers like to use?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Object LOD and mipmapping
« Reply #485 on: April 18, 2016, 04:36:53 PM »
I tried searching but I couldn't find an answer so I'd like to ask some (possibly dumb) questions about importing custom objects (like buildings, bridges, etc.) into AH3 Object Editor. 

1) Does AH3 import objects with multiple dLOD levels?  If yes, is there a limit to how many?  I haven't started playing with AC3D yet, but I presume the UV texture mipmapping comes automatically since each dLOD has it's own texture map?

2) What's a good limit for number of polygons for a building in AH3?

3) How do you assign a "destroyed" model to an object?

4) Does anyone know of a program that automatically generates dLOD models/textures from the closeup detail model?

I probably should have played with AC3D before asking these questions, but I didn't want to waste time on learning LOD/mipmapping if AH3 doesn't support it on imported custom objects.  I've also played with Blender, which I find weird but workable.  Is it possible to import into AH3 from Blender?  What modeling program do you object makers like to use?

Texture LODS are automatic.

Mesh lods must be created by the artist.

The best way to get a handle is to take one of our existing shapes from the object editor and export it to AC3D.

Also the hierarchy of all shapes can be displayed in the OE with the Tree button.

Dead shapes are set with a flag in the OE editor, basicly you make the AC3D shape import it and set your flags, then export back to AC3D and all the information is stored in the ac3d shape with text/comment fields.

HiTech

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #486 on: April 18, 2016, 08:12:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I didn't know you could export an AH3 object from the Object Editor back into AC3D: that seems the best way to learn what's needed. 

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #487 on: May 10, 2016, 01:27:13 PM »
Recently I've had to clean up a mistake I made by applying Atlas 1 Type 17 onto the town object edges trying to blend road systems. No trees are laid down nor small building objects. The base terrain 2D map is there for them though, but, while driving on those areas the clutter and grass is shiny blackish grey. I solved the dilemma by replacing it with an Atlas Type 0 tile.

For objects like the town, port, TT and other fields, what is the best way to apply clutter and trees if possible? Or are those tiles locked, and I should lay them down again to clean off anything I applied to them? At least I keep backups of my oba file for elevation and pitch info.

I've notice with the TT object that there is a blackish boarder of clutter along the sides of the TT roads that I spilled over the edge of the TT object boarder some Atlas Type 1 or Atlas Type 0.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #488 on: May 21, 2016, 06:24:01 PM »

Will the TE's texture maker still use _b1.bmp or has it migrated to the _S.bmp format?

Same question for the Object Editor. Seems it's already migrated to the _S format.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #489 on: May 29, 2016, 01:32:46 PM »
So I have an issue with the Terrain editor in patch 21. Basically the main terrain window everything is black. Also in the window showing the clipboard map there is a black line running horizontally at the midway point (center of screen) from left to right. Only once I turned trees on do I see them but everything else is still black.

I have uninstalled AH3 Beta complete and reinstalled from the full download and still have the same issue. Current machine is on DX12.

Any ideas? Anybody else having issues with the Terrain Editor under patch 21? I was fine under patch 19 so I will probably have to roll back to the full patch 19 version since I can't work on terrains as is.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 01:39:42 PM by ghostdancer »
CM Terrain Team

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #490 on: May 29, 2016, 05:39:54 PM »
Okay it is resolved now, looks like the TE was also using DirectX 11 now. So I went and updated my video drivers (didn't do anything) and then went back and got the Direct 11 pack and installed. Now AHBETA11 and the TE work for me.
CM Terrain Team

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #491 on: June 10, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
Will the TE's texture maker still use _b1.bmp or has it migrated to the _S.bmp format?

Same question for the Object Editor. Seems it's already migrated to the _S format.

Sorry for the delay, it must use b1. There are two differences between _S and _B1

When using _S the texture building will place the spec map in  either _A0 or B1 depending if there is also an alpha map. This is the generic system used for objects. The 2nd difference is that using the _S will also now how to populate the texture matrix.

With terrain all channels are fixed an can not be put into other spaces. Since there is not really an alpha channel on terrain the _S would end up in the wrong spot.

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #492 on: June 21, 2016, 09:54:01 PM »
I think I've found a problem with the ahuploader.exe

PLEASE tell me if I've found it as I've been pulling my hair out and I can't afford much more of that.

Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #493 on: June 22, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »
The issue is most likely being caused by the extra files you have in your folder. Like Copy (2).oba

HiTech

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #494 on: June 22, 2016, 10:59:17 AM »
The issue is most likely being caused by the extra files you have in your folder. Like Copy (2).oba

HiTech
I removed them from earlier uploads. It didn't help with the upload.

Ah, right, you mean it's causing the error message. That may be why I didn't see the error message every time. I'd removed all the extraneous files as one of the first things I did with avaeto. Then finally when I started with a the avalibya terrain name I backed up the .oba file again and didn't remove it.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 11:06:41 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001