Author Topic: What would Chesty Puller Do?  (Read 562 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
What would Chesty Puller Do?
« on: February 19, 2015, 02:49:34 PM »
Recently in Yemen our Marines had to surrender their weapons so they could leave the country.  I can't help but ask what would Chesty Puller have done?

His rescue and withdrawal of the Marines that were trapped at the Chosin Reservoir was a feat of great bravery for all who were involved.  I know that there were some lightly armored vehicles in the embassy compound.  The Saudi Arabian border was less than 100 miles away.  I can't help but believe that they would have been able to get out that way.

I don't fault the Marines for following those orders but I do believe it was a violation of the American soldiers code of conduct, specifically article two.  I believe those Marines were poorly served by the commander in chief and this has left a stain on the Marines reputation.

My brother in law was a survivor of Iwo Jima, he was in the second wave put ashore.  If I remember correctly he said that there was less than a dozen survivors in his company.  I would say he loved the marine corps until the day he died.

What say you?
AkCaine

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
Re: What would Chesty Puller Do?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 04:57:37 PM »
Chesty Puller would pick up a history book and realize that the U.S. needs to stay out of other people's civil wars and focus on domestic issues. 

We have oil, we have water, we have food. Saudi Arabia and Iraq can keep their sand.  We also have a huge influx of para-military mexican gangs on our entire southern border.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:20:49 PM »
What would Chesty Puller do?

Depends how big of a tip you give her.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 05:22:04 PM »
I don't fault the Marines for following those orders but I do believe it was a violation of the American soldiers code of conduct, specifically article two.  I believe those Marines were poorly served by the commander in chief and this has left a stain on the Marines reputation.

(Reuters) - U.S. Marines handed over their remaining weapons to Yemenis at the airport in the capital, Sanaa, on Wednesday before boarding commercial aircraft to leave the country following the closure of the U.S. embassy, the Pentagon said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/11/us-yemen-security-pentagon-idUSKBN0LF2F220150211

At this point I really can not think of what to say to you next without getting this thread shut down.

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 06:15:43 PM »

Best post of the week!
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 08:09:16 PM »
According the the Marines, they left behind destroyed junk. 

"All crew-served weapons were destroyed at the embassy prior to movement. None of them were ‘handed over’ in any way to anyone. The destruction of weapons at the embassy and the airport was carried out in accordance with an approved destruction plan,” the statement said.

http://www.stripes.com/news/marines-destroyed-weapons-before-leaving-yemen-military-says-1.329109

I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 10:11:53 PM »
What would Chesty Puller do?? He would tell those sumsqueakes .. got "F" yourselves.. You want my weapon pry it from my cold dead fingers.

"You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em." (Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC, 1962.)

"The more MARINES I have around the better I like it!"
GEN. MARK CLARK, U.S. ARMY

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!"
GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

"I have just returned from visiting the MARINES at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!"
GEN. DOUGLAS MACARTHUR, U.S. ARMY

"So they've got us surrounded, good! Now we can fire in any direction, those b*****ds won't get away this time!"
CHESTY PULLER, USMC

What would Chesty Puller do??? Ask any Marine what Chesty would do and you will get the same answer.. FIGHT because it was the right thing to do.

I am sorry but that really offends me as I was a Marine and Lt General Puller was an inspiration to me and my father. My dad had the privilege of serving under him when he was in the Marines and he is held in HIGH regard to any Marine.

http://www.mcu.usmc.mil/historydivision/Pages/Who%27s%20Who/P-R/puller_lb.aspx A short history on "Chesty" Puller

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 02:18:49 AM »
My guess is that if you told him that in a bar,

he would punch you in the gut and then buy you a round

What would Chesty Puller do??? Ask any Marine what Chesty would do and you will get the same answer.. FIGHT because it was the right thing to do.

I think that all of us appreciate the service.

And I also think that many of us also appreciate the fact that he went into the Marines and not the US State Department.

You think that he would have been offended by the comment????   :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

My guess is that he would not have appreciated having his name and service record dragged in and associated with the absurd idea that disarming before boarding a commercial international flight was a "stain on the Marines reputation"

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 04:44:37 AM »
Best post of the week!

In case some don't get it.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 08:17:55 AM »
What would Chesty Puller have done???

Well when Puller was on Guadalcanal defending Henderson Field he continually walked the lines behind his men and shouted encouragement to them...and exposing himself to Japanese fire so his men could concentrate on the muzzle flashes...

If Puller were over a detachment of Marines at an embassy...I'm sure he would have done what he was ordered to do...

BUT...the Marines in Yemem DID NOT SURRENDER THIER WEAPONS...they destroyed them with sledgehammers piece by piece until they were completely unsalvageable...I'm sure Puller would have done just that...

Lt. General Puller was a true war hero in every aspect you can think of....

:salute to all Marines past, present, and future...and  :salute to the ghost of Chesty Puller which follows our current Marines around protecting them and helping them bring death and destruction to our nations enemies...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 09:07:59 AM »
What would Chesty Puller have done???

Well when Puller was on Guadalcanal defending Henderson Field he continually walked the lines behind his men and shouted encouragement to them...and exposing himself to Japanese fire so his men could concentrate on the muzzle flashes...

If Puller were over a detachment of Marines at an embassy...I'm sure he would have done what he was ordered to do...

BUT...the Marines in Yemem DID NOT SURRENDER THIER WEAPONS...they destroyed them with sledgehammers piece by piece until they were completely unsalvageable...I'm sure Puller would have done just that...

Lt. General Puller was a true war hero in every aspect you can think of....

:salute to all Marines past, present, and future...and  :salute to the ghost of Chesty Puller which follows our current Marines around protecting them and helping them bring death and destruction to our nations enemies...

Well Stated. 

:aok
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
Puller said exactly what I had been thinking. The "story' that the Marines surrendered their weapons was a fabrication as has already been shown. Given the sad state of "journalism" today, never believe the first story that gets out, it's probably from some ones imagination.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 06:21:30 PM »

I am sorry but that really offends me as I was a Marine

no sir.. you ARE a marine.  No such thing as a 'was'  :salute
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 12:03:20 AM »
Before we get too carried away on Chesty, you might ask the. Marines who served under him at Pelilieu what they think.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters