Author Topic: A Thought for Newbies  (Read 1759 times)

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
Re: A Thought for Newbies
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 01:42:57 PM »
Blender has been around for years...glad he's back. Very good stick and a nice guy to boot

+1 great guy
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 01:45:44 PM »
Blender has been around for years...glad he's back. Very good stick and a nice guy to boot...even if he is British  :bolt:

Blender is an Australian ....

Offline Gray

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 02:26:09 PM »
From now on if I down (or if I see go down) 2 drones of bomber formation flown by a Newbie, I’m going to let the last one go.  If needed, I’ll encourage country team members to do the same.

:airplane: :joystick:

If friendlys aren't around, I let one bomber go.   This way I know the guy is occupied flying home rather than launching another box of buffs immediately. This break may be all we need to resupply the base. 

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 03:13:13 PM »
I guess it's all perspective.  Recently I feel there are new names around, and after combating them they don't survive as long as the "vet" variety do.  My guess is noobs or rusty vets.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 03:21:47 PM »
I keep seeing guys I have never heard of before handling some rides like pro's. This gives me the impression that more people seem to be changing their Handle these days.

It's possible to learn flying and ACM outside of Aces High.  ;)

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 06:36:09 PM »
   If friendlys aren't around, I let one bomber go.   This way I know the guy is occupied flying home rather than launching another box of buffs immediately. This break may be all we need to resupply the base.
Because it's not in the culture to play the right way in terms of the war there are plenty of times I will bail after bombing a strat.

For example, last week I went with 2 others and bombed the ammo factory of a country who was hording and had taken a base in our territory after taking back a half dozen of their own. To prevent a horrible night of defending against the horde I made the 1.5 hr 1 way flight deep into their country at 34k and fought my way in. Having dropped all ords, killed the last fighter, and called on country to pork the front in vain I bailed and porker it myself. I do this sometime but I never bail if someone upped for a fight No matter what condition my planes are in because they deserve it.

With that said I have no problem bomb and bailing if no one else is going to do what's needed. I just refuse to cheat someone out of a fight If they earn it. If I see a dar bar near me I wait until it passes. Never turn down an opportunity to fight and learn something. I know I'll get flak for what I said but it's my $15. Score isn't important to me these days. Someday it will be bit right now my goal is to make as much of an impact on the war effort as possible and I do that well.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:06:45 PM by Wizz »
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 10:56:06 PM »
I learned how to fly bombers by getting shot down a lot.

Even as a noob I never wanted anything less then 100% effort from attackers.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 12:47:37 AM »
Never turn down an opportunity to fight and learn something.

I think this is key.  All that people are saying is, if there's a fighter attacking a bomber, the bomber shouldn't bail.  Just fight it out.

Otherwise, who cares if the bomber pilot bails?

- oldman

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 08:38:25 AM »
I'm not sure that I thought that this would be a perfect scheme.  Some are reasonably going to see it as a bad or counter productive idea.  I do not agree, but I see their point.

I keep seeing guys I have never heard of before handling some rides like pro's. This gives me the impression that more people seem to be changing their Handle these days.

Someone once said that it is almost like there is now an Aces High witness protection program.   :noid :noid :noid

I think that he was on the mark. :old:

I've been doing this for years now, and not just to new guys but everyone.  My general rules are kill them all inbound, let one live if they are outbound.  I throw them a <S>, tell them I'm breaking off and "The last one is yours to land" on a PM.

I do it to encourage players to keep coming back.  I've flown buffs before and it is a long and thankless mission.

I've had very friendly responses from this.  On a rare occasion I've been told "You're just scared I'll kill you if you make another pass", which I kindly respond by turning back to them and blowing them out of the sky.

I like this approach.   :aok

=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 08:50:10 AM »
I've been doing this for years now, and not just to new guys but everyone.  My general rules are kill them all inbound, let one live if they are outbound.  I throw them a <S>, tell them I'm breaking off and "The last one is yours to land" on a PM.

I do it to encourage players to keep coming back.  I've flown buffs before and it is a long and thankless mission.

I've had very friendly responses from this.

Yep same here, never got any negative feedback.....it keeps them comming back

Not saying that I haven't ever nailed all 3 but I try to let one get home for the effort put out by the buff pilot. I personally never liked the time it takes to run a buff sortie, and try to see it from their point of view.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:51:42 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »
If I realize someone is really new I let them go after a kill or two. In fact I use to kill 2 buffs and let the 3rd one go. I like keeping one alive for interrogation. :)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 03:35:04 PM »

Besides, with all that names coming and going it's often hard for me to tell who's really a newb and who not.
[/quote]

<<<<<<<<<<<<< is a newbie  please dont shoot  :pray   please please  i dont want to die again  :cry  :pray    please please  I promise all the bombs i drop may blow things up but they grow back   :bolt:
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 07:06:58 PM »
Blender is an Australian ....

Despite Australia being on the other side of the planet from the UK, trying to get an American to distinguish the inhabitants of of the various Commonwealth countries from each other is a bit of a reach.
Retired

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
In the end, what's the difference? The game needs more players and if it means a seasoned vet returning...all the better. It is kinda funny tho seeing a new ID, who's wearing 2 stars after a cpl days.  :rofl

2 stars?  I haven't played in years but what is this about?

Edit to add:  To put this in perspective.  I flew AH for years and I don't recognize many of your names :)  Just saying lol.  AH has been around for like gosh almost 15 years?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:24:32 PM by YUCCA »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2015, 04:22:23 AM »
I shot down two of Bowwows B29s and let him land 1 :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario