Author Topic: A Thought for Newbies  (Read 1761 times)

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
A Thought for Newbies
« on: March 05, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
From now on if I down (or if I see go down) 2 drones of bomber formation flown by a Newbie, I’m going to let the last one go.  If needed, I’ll encourage country team members to do the same.

:airplane: :joystick:
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: A Thought for Newbies
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:50:09 PM »
I tired something like that for a time and the result was some very vitriolic PM's on several occasions by different players.

Besides, with all that names coming and going it's often hard for me to tell who's really a newb and who not.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 06:17:10 PM »
I keep seeing guys I have never heard of before handling some rides like pro's. This gives me the impression that more people seem to be changing their Handle these days.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:32:35 PM »
May be old vets checking in on the AH3 rumors who don't want to pony up $14.95 each month. It's hard not to notice some signature ACM moves and then do a W-t-Fudge maple brownies at the idiot ID after the engagement.

It's been getting obvious lately we have a bunch of newbi ringers in the crowd.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »
In the end, what's the difference? The game needs more players and if it means a seasoned vet returning...all the better. It is kinda funny tho seeing a new ID, who's wearing 2 stars after a cpl days.  :rofl

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 10:03:34 AM »
The nicest guy in Aces High will not give new players unrealistic expectations by failing to destroy every one of their planes and vehicles that I can.  This I promise! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
I've been doing this for years now, and not just to new guys but everyone.  My general rules are kill them all inbound, let one live if they are outbound.  I throw them a <S>, tell them I'm breaking off and "The last one is yours to land" on a PM.

I do it to encourage players to keep coming back.  I've flown buffs before and it is a long and thankless mission.

I've had very friendly responses from this.  On a rare occasion I've been told "You're just scared I'll kill you if you make another pass", which I kindly respond by turning back to them and blowing them out of the sky.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 10:48:44 AM »
It is kinda funny tho seeing a new ID, who's wearing 2 stars after a cpl days.  :rofl

You can have two stars instantly with a 'new' ID... If you had them before you changed your name. Unlike perks, achievements and stars survive a change of ID ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 10:51:22 AM »
I've been doing this for years now, and not just to new guys but everyone.  My general rules are kill them all inbound, let one live if they are outbound.  I throw them a <S>, tell them I'm breaking off and "The last one is yours to land" on a PM.

You realize this is passive aggresive. Your making them (me) have to navigate the moral shoals between scylla (a long dull flight home) and charybdis (the disgrace of bombing and bailing,) while simultaneously emasculating them by "letting" them choose.

Shame on you.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 11:07:08 AM »
I have a really stuoid idea. What if the bombers used their guns and fought back...?
There are ways to shot down or evade even great bomber killers like snailman and zoney. Its hard but not impossible and against the average buff hunter u have more than a fair chance to kill a fighter before he kills u. I have even fought of a F4u for 25 mins in lancs and brought 2 planes home.

Edit: the entire debate is assuming that the bombers are completley defenceless when in reality a good buff pilot can makes his bombers into a really dangerous target for fighters.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:11:00 AM by Zimme83 »
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 11:15:33 AM »
I have a really stuoid idea. What if the bombers used their guns and fought back...?
There are ways to shot down or evade even great bomber killers like snailman and zoney. Its hard but not impossible and against the average buff hunter u have more than a fair chance to kill a fighter before he kills u. I have even fought of a F4u for 25 mins in lancs and brought 2 planes home.

Edit: the entire debate is assuming that the bombers are completley defenceless when in reality a good buff pilot can makes his bombers into a really dangerous target for fighters.

That's because you're good.  Many players aren't good and I want them to have a chance to get that last one home.  I want to encourage them to keep trying and keep flying buffs so I have targets.  They get plenty of practice trying to defend the first 2, I am attacking.  They still have to make it home.  They will encounter others who see that last lone buff and will attack it.  Heck, if I happen to intercept a single buff I kill it too!

I've made many friends here just by being nice.  Letting that last buff go, I think that is pretty nice and doing it has started many PM conversations.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 11:24:41 AM »
Zoney: i havent anything against that. It was about the bailing on first sight of resistance. B-17, B-24, B-26, B-29 and Ki-67 all have great defensive armament and are in no ay a turkey shoot for fighters.
We had 3 sets of B-26 on a medium level (14k) attack on an AAA factory, 4 fighters upped for us, 1 were shot down and the other 3 damaged for no bomber loss. Buff pilots must realize that they arent defenceless, and especially if they learn to fly together.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »
It's a nice idea and to each your own. I know that had people taken it easy on me when I was a noon I wouldn't have had such a drive and urgency to learn how to defend the way I did. Tough love will make one hell of a player out of someone if they have what it takes. If they don't they just wash out.

Just for example how tough buffs can be, I ran into snail yesterday near knight city. I upped a single 29 in the hopes he would up and he did in his 152. He made 3 attempts at me. Neither on of us could shoot the other down. In the end ack flamed my single 29 as I started my drop. Against snail in a single buff it's tough but doable. There is no fixing the bail out problem. You have to fix the player. End the end it's their $15 and time.
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 01:33:16 PM »
Yes I have seen alot of names I don't usually see and they are flying really well. I came across a name "Blender" I think he might be an old player and is just returning, but it was some darn great flying done by him.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Online Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »
Blender has been around for years...glad he's back. Very good stick and a nice guy to boot...even if he is British  :bolt: