Author Topic: Good F35B video  (Read 802 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Good F35B video
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:56:11 PM »
I realize most aren't fans of the F35, but imagine if it cost 40$ million like it was originally envisioned 15 years ago, the F35B would be a pretty great replacement for the Harrier for the USMC, a huge, HUGE upgrade in capability, range, and especially ease of use (All the Harrier pilots rave about how much easier it is to fly, especially in rough weather landings and such).

It sure looks like mean little sucker up close, the poor Marines having to use C130s and the drogue system to refuel their F35Bs, but the close up video is great with these, since they can drop the rear door and shoot footage from there,  IMO.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 04:58:03 PM by Gman »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Good F35B video
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »
(All the Harrier pilots rave about how much easier it is to fly, especially in rough weather landings and such).

More accurately:  All surviving Harrier pilots...

- oldman

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 10:02:56 PM »
Ya, the old "Lawn Dart" never had the best safety record or numbers.  Hopefully the F35B will decrease those kinds of incidents, one of the redeeming factors is it's supposed to be much easier to fly and less complicated in the critical landing phase for the pilots.

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 02:32:41 PM »
Heck, should have just nosed on into the 130 cargo bay and hooked up a fuel line to the ground fueling receptacle. Prolly faster than the drogue.    :bolt:

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:39:24 AM »
I don't think I've seen any comments from those aviation experts that were so eager to point out how stupid the DOD, Navy and Lockheed were for designing a jet for the Navy with a "defective" tailhook.  I said at the time that identifying and fixing deficiencies is precisely what research and development are intended to do and the F-35C has successfully operated from a CVN several times now.  I'm sure I just missed the mea culpas.
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 04:51:29 PM »
I don't think I've seen any comments from those aviation experts that were so eager to point out how stupid the DOD, Navy and Lockheed were for designing a jet for the Navy with a "defective" tailhook.  I said at the time that identifying and fixing deficiencies is precisely what research and development are intended to do and the F-35C has successfully operated from a CVN several times now.  I'm sure I just missed the mea culpas.

I think we would be more forgiving of the troubleshooting phase if the project were even in the same galaxy as the initial budget.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 09:21:24 PM »
Cripes, I saw the title and got excited, thinking that Congress must have cancelled the project!   Damn you Gman!
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.