Author Topic: (better) Questions for HiTech  (Read 2405 times)

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
(better) Questions for HiTech
« on: March 17, 2015, 10:12:47 PM »
1) is there any chance we're getting the archaic UI updated?

Let's be honest; it's god awful by 2015 standards. Even after having used it for years, I just can't get used to it.

That is all.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 10:14:43 PM by FBKampfer »
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: (better) Questions for HiTech
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
If you're going to ask for something to be updated, what do you want it to look like? Cause complaining it looks 'god awful' and not giving an example or your idea on what a good interface looks like falls into this category...

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »

Let's be honest; it's god awful by 2015 standards. Even after having used it for years, I just can't get used to it.

That is all.

This is a good way to get a one-way ticket to PNG-land...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »
Huh? Can't make suggestions or criticize the game?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:08:38 PM by Kruel »

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 04:30:20 PM »
Kruel I suspect you enjoy being anonymous like many in the idioetsphere while not using your real name and personal contact info. So you can effectively get away with dropping a duce in anyone's virtual kitchen and get away with it. For example like our OP. Criticism and suggestions have no emotional feedback at face value if they are simply to help the target if your goal isn't simply helping the target. Dropping a stealth duce in the delivery feeds the ego and opens the door for others to try and join in. Fortunately the OP has no mob appeal in this forum to gin up an impromptu lynching of Hitech over the idiocy he chose to opine upon.

"Archaic" is being snide while hiding behind the word itself to communicate ones negative feelings towards the object's creator for being regressive rather than 2015 progressive. 

An appeal to the peanut gallery to deflect responsibility for ones words while snidely trying to validate the insult. Possibly starting a mob joining in to feed the need to publicly diss Hitech.

That is all.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Kruel

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »
Kruel I suspect you enjoy being anonymous like many in the idioetsphere while not using your real name and personal contact info. So you can effectively get away with dropping a duce in anyone's virtual kitchen and get away with it. For example like our OP. Criticism and suggestions have no emotional feedback at face value if they are simply to help the target if your goal isn't simply helping the target. Dropping a stealth duce in the delivery feeds the ego and opens the door for others to try and join in. Fortunately the OP has no mob appeal in this forum to gin up an impromptu lynching of Hitech over the idiocy he chose to opine upon.

Understood so what you are saying is no one should say "I don't like this" and instead should say "I don't like this, here is a better idea?" Meh, I guess the latter is better but everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose...

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:16:11 PM »
It's not what was said, it was how it was said. Certain words carry certain emotions whether good or bad. The choice of words carries the emotion of your message.

Examples:

Homeless person/bum
Exotic dancer/stripper
Prostitute/Lady of the night

Most adjectives have a derogatory synonym to go with them. This is probably why the english language is so complex, because there are so many different ways to say the same thing, but not all of them are appropriate.

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »

This is probably why the english language is so complex, because there are so many different ways to say the same thing, but not all of them are appropriate.

Good point

Then again some are just ignorant
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 10:11:40 PM »
I meant no offense to the abilities of HTC's crew. I feel archaic is an apt word to use, potential negative connotation or no; it most accuracy describes the state of the UI, ergo I will use that word.

The dot command in particular is what makes the system feel old. A right-click drop down menu when interfacing with game ID's  would be much more contemporary.

Right click a base, see options specifically for that base, such as down time tables, given that that information is available to all, but knowledge of how to access it is not.

Just simple improvements to streamline where ever possible, and simplify the system for new users without need to memorize an expansive list of commands.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 11:12:44 PM »
I meant no offense to the abilities of HTC's crew. I feel archaic is an apt word to use, potential negative connotation or no; it most accuracy describes the state of the UI, ergo I will use that word.

The dot command in particular is what makes the system feel old. A right-click drop down menu when interfacing with game ID's  would be much more contemporary.

Right click a base, see options specifically for that base, such as down time tables, given that that information is available to all, but knowledge of how to access it is not.

Just simple improvements to streamline where ever possible, and simplify the system for new users without need to memorize an expansive list of commands.
People not knowing the dot commands is out of laziness to not learn the system, the way to access it is posted somewhere...BBS and I thought I saw it in the wiki.

Understood so what you are saying is no one should say "I don't like this" and instead should say "I don't like this, here is a better idea?" Meh, I guess the latter is better but everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose...
Bustr is absolutely right, like dumb privates in the military "This is dumb" says the PVT "Why is it dumb and how do you think it should have gone?"- says the NCO "I don't know it's just dumb" replies the PVT

A critique should always have a possible fix attached to it....or else it is just whining.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
People not knowing the dot commands is out of laziness to not learn the system, the way to access it is posted somewhere...BBS and I thought I saw it in the wiki.

Sure.  Now take a look at any Windows based computer.  What percentage of the tasks you do in a typical session require you to go to a command line?

Interfaces have changed drastically since 2000.  People want little clicky buttons and menus, not to have to remember a list of commands and codes for different objects.  Is it functional?  Yes.  Is it intuitive to anyone born since 1990?  Not so much.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 12:25:51 AM »
People just aren't as good at memorizing lists and facts now a days.  We've grown up with the collective knowledge of Western civilization at our finger tips. It simply hasn't been necessary or beneficial for us to develop such skills.

As a result, our brains strengthened and paired away different neural pathways than yours did. The result is we're better at multitasking. It's not a skill we can just learn, and it isn't from simple laziness.

Mutter about the world changing for the worse and the shortcomings of the new generations if you will, but do remember that the next century will be our century, dominated by our technology, to which we have adapted ourselves.
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 12:40:45 AM »
Sure.  Now take a look at any Windows based computer.  What percentage of the tasks you do in a typical session require you to go to a command line?

Interfaces have changed drastically since 2000.  People want little clicky buttons and menus, not to have to remember a list of commands and codes for different objects.  Is it functional?  Yes.  Is it intuitive to anyone born since 1990?  Not so much.

Wiley.
memorize? you can put that on a piece of paper by your keyboard. I agree that it is a bit longer but look at games like StarCraft 2, best players in the game have to memorize a ton of different hot keys in order to be good, and that's for instantaneous actions...generally speaking how often do you need to use those commands on a sortie?? Once to determine whether or not to hold bombs for VH or FH? Something like that?

I personally don't want it to be easier to learn what the exact down times are mainly because I think it will lead to more stale gameplay, "Oh that bases town was hit by a milk runner 20 minutes ago so it's a waste of time for us to even hit it if the town is going to pop in 20". I'm all about making things more streamline but to make all those times show when you right click for status just smells like stale gameplay to me.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 12:56:05 AM »

Wiley.

Don't know how long you have been playing but it was not so long ago we didn't even have the . commands for down times etc. so be thankful for what we have.  :x Just want to add I printed out the . commands and have them handy to use, pretty soon you learn what they are and only takes a second to type them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:58:25 AM by rvflyer »
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 01:01:04 AM »
People just aren't as good at memorizing lists and facts now a days.  We've grown up with the collective knowledge of Western civilization at our finger tips. It simply hasn't been necessary or beneficial for us to develop such skills.

As a result, our brains strengthened and paired away different neural pathways than yours did. The result is we're better at multitasking. It's not a skill we can just learn, and it isn't from simple laziness.

Mutter about the world changing for the worse and the shortcomings of the new generations if you will, but do remember that the next century will be our century, dominated by our technology, to which we have adapted ourselves.

Yes it is called dumbing down.  :neener:

Tour 70 2005 to present