Author Topic: A-320 crash  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
Re: A-320 crash
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 08:30:42 PM »
It was the Payne Stewart accident as it became known in the industry and it was on a charter flight of a Lear Jet.  The valve, didn't get "locked open", it was a manual valve on the O2 bottle that was missed on the walk around inspection and left in the closed position.  As the aircraft climbed to cruise level, everyone was overcome from a lack of O2.

Not exactly Sir. Learjets do not use O2 bottle for pressurization, they use bleed air off the engine compressors made suitable for breathing via one or more air conditioning Pack. They carry a small amount of emergency O2 for the pilots. Typically enough to cover an emergency decent or to fight an on-board fire.

Learjet model 35, registration N47BA had according to the NTSB been "snagged" for pressurization issues prior to the day of the accident but had been rectified.

This is an exact quote from the NTSB accident report:
The probable cause of this accident was incapacitation of the flight crew members as a result of their failure to receive supplemental oxygen following a loss of cabin pressurization, for undetermined reasons.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 09:43:04 PM »
Pressurization issue aside, the pilots couldn't get oxygen through their masks because the manual valve on the bottle was closed at the bottle which is inaccessible in flight.

Offline Kenne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 11:16:52 PM »
im curious why germanwings could not fly over French airspace direct to dusseldorf.
Women are like the Government. They have no problem that can't be solved by throwing money at it!
لقد حصلت على تذكرتين إلى الجنة

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 12:19:31 AM »
Paging Egypt Air.........

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 12:37:57 AM »
And (correct me if I'm wrong) but didn't that Air France flight (A330) that crashed into the Atlantic have issues with its speed sensors due to a possible frozen pitot tube?

Regardless, very sad. I'm sure they will know the cause once all the data is reviewed.

I don't remember if they ever found the flight recorders.  But investigators still pretty much figured out what went on from the ACARS data.

They flew into a massive storm cell, supercooled droplets froze up all 3 pitot tubes, without airspeed data the autopilot and autothrottle system shut off, not to mention the EICAS starts throwing all kinds of warnings and alarms at the crew which probably overwhelmed them.  SOP for no airspeed data was to apply a certain power and pitch setting (I wanna say 85% and 5° nose up, but I don't remember) and just fly straight and level till airspeed data comes back, for whatever reason the crew failed to do so, instead they climbed it into a stall and for whatever reason kept pulling instead of pushing and flew the stall all the way to the ocean.

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 12:40:06 AM »
Paging Egypt Air.........

When I heard "Pilot was locked out"  that's the first thing I thought of as well.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 01:19:27 AM »
Anyone know if there are procedures for having at least two people in the cockpit at any time? Seems to me that leaving only one crew member in the cockpit with a door that is reenforced and cannot be opened from the outside is a very obvious flaw, so I cannot be the first one to point it out. One pilot steps out to take a leak, the other pilot has a heart attack, food poisoning, commits suicide etc.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 02:31:35 AM »
Anyone know if there are procedures for having at least two people in the cockpit at any time? Seems to me that leaving only one crew member in the cockpit with a door that is reenforced and cannot be opened from the outside is a very obvious flaw, so I cannot be the first one to point it out. One pilot steps out to take a leak, the other pilot has a heart attack, food poisoning, commits suicide etc.

Usually the door can be opened from the outside with the proper code, unless the one left in the cockpit is taking active measures to prevent that
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 02:33:54 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:12:51 AM by Skuzzy »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 02:44:42 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:12:20 AM by Skuzzy »
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 03:41:24 AM »
Usually the door can be opened from the outside with the proper code, unless the one left in the cockpit is taking active measures to prevent that
This...^^^^^

Its looking like Murder/Suicide Im afraid. If the pilot in the cockpit was incapacitated the pilot on the outside would be able to access the cockpit. The guy inside had to be blocking it.

Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 03:46:11 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:13:05 AM by Skuzzy »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 03:50:54 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:13:15 AM by Skuzzy »
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 04:37:59 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 07:13:28 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 07:04:54 AM »
BBC reporting that the Co-Pilot deliberately locked out the Captain, started the descent,  was alive until impact.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix