Author Topic: A-320 crash  (Read 3429 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: A-320 crash
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2015, 09:31:38 AM »
Well the sad fact is that if you need to contact a shrink even once in your life you are above average mentally unstable and therefore IMO unsuitable for the job.
There is a difference between "need to" and "it might help so I'll try it", but your rule would completely eliminate the second option for people.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2015, 12:16:05 PM »
It would be a lot nicer if we lived in a black and white world, wouldn't it?
Pies not kicks.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2015, 05:00:40 PM »
Well the sad fact is that if you need to contact a shrink even once in your life you are above average mentally unstable and therefore IMO unsuitable for the job.

Wow...

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »
Wow...

The stupidity of some people is astounding at times, eh!?!?
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2015, 05:35:34 PM »
Yep....

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2015, 08:39:35 PM »

So, I'll rat myself out, I've had moment where the stress got to me, and I thought "hey, maybe I should go talk to someone to decompress." You think that rules me out of the flying role?

We send people to psych frequently. It's a fact of life. Your gauge for what is average for mental stability must come from a very simple stress-free life. In aviation, at least military aviation, we expect struggles. We expect people to need help, because what is becoming commonplace in life is FAR beyond what humans evolved to handle.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: March 30, 2015, 12:01:35 AM »
So, I'll rat myself out, I've had moment where the stress got to me, and I thought "hey, maybe I should go talk to someone to decompress." You think that rules me out of the flying role?

We send people to psych frequently. It's a fact of life. Your gauge for what is average for mental stability must come from a very simple stress-free life. In aviation, at least military aviation, we expect struggles. We expect people to need help, because what is becoming commonplace in life is FAR beyond what humans evolved to handle.

I don't know anyone who is considered to be straight headed to ever visit a shrink. Maybe you have a lower limit for using the services but in my book if you're messed up enough to have to visit a shrink I don't want to fly in your plane. Period.

I mean you need to have some serious issues mentally before even the thought of accessing mental healthcare services pops up. Most people deal with their stress by going out jogging or having a night out with the friends playing pool. You know, the way that healthy persons do.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2015, 12:56:07 AM »
I don't know anyone who is considered to be straight headed to ever visit a shrink. Maybe you have a lower limit for using the services but in my book if you're messed up enough to have to visit a shrink I don't want to fly in your plane. Period.

I mean you need to have some serious issues mentally before even the thought of accessing mental healthcare services pops up. Most people deal with their stress by going out jogging or having a night out with the friends playing pool. You know, the way that healthy persons do.
You've got some pretty rigid preconceived notions there.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2015, 02:35:56 AM »

Wrong. For ex, your family is killed in an accident, u get help to handle the trauma but that would in your world disqualify u from being a pilot for the rest of your life. U have apparently no clue about what you are talking about.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2015, 03:21:03 AM »
Im sorry those people died but Doctor/patient confidentiality is one of the cornerstones of freedom. "Freedoms" that "millions" died for so that we can have.

To be honest...

Almost any serious (health/live etc) insurance require you to allow access to medical records... We allow access to health data to many organization otherwise we wouldn't get services.

AFAIK, pilots MUST report any health issues to employer (or not be a pilot keeping his private stuff to himself - his choice) - so I don't think doctor/patient confidentiality works there. A pilot by selecting the job virtually removes the confidentiality at least between doctor, patient and employer.

Doctors could if not should report the health issues to pilot employer or at least pass the information to required authorities - it isn't question of rights, it is more question of the legal mechanism that would allow the physician to report problems without fear of being sued or loosing his license.

For example, in California physicians are required to report some health states to DMV as drivers with such a conditions may threaten the public. The right for privacy is not absolute as a public has also a right for safety.

I don't see same rues can't or shouldn't be applied to aviation safety.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2015, 03:37:37 AM »

OH is that why there are no ads for antidepressant ever on t.v. What is the difference between jogging to treat stress or talking to friends about stress and seeing a therapist? You of course are welcome to your opinion on seeing a shrink, I just think your are making to bing a deal about talking to one.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2015, 07:27:25 AM »
Wrong. For ex, your family is killed in an accident, u get help to handle the trauma but that would in your world disqualify u from being a pilot for the rest of your life. U have apparently no clue about what you are talking about.

A useful example.  I agree with your conclusion as well.

- oldman

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2015, 08:21:34 AM »
We need not go off and create laws that we don't need.   The US has a two person rule about people on the flight deck.   The problem with someone losing it, does not seem to be a problem for the US airspace. It appears that every airline around the world now has put in place the same type of rule.  Besides, Every commercial pilot that I know and including myself when I flew for Eastern only went to an FAA Medical Examiner once or twice a year as required by the FAR's.   If I needed to see a doctor in between visits to the FAA Medical Doctor, I just went to a local guy and as far as my occupation on his medical questionnaire, I was self-employed.  Once I got my salary continuation insurance then  I always went to Eastern's Flight Doctor and prayed that he grounded me.   
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2015, 08:30:31 AM »
We need not go off and create laws that we don't need.   The US has a two person rule about people on the flight deck.   The problem with someone losing it, does not seem to be a problem for the US airspace. It appears that every airline around the world now has put in place the same type of rule.  Besides, Every commercial pilot that I know and including myself when I flew for Eastern only went to an FAA Medical Examiner once or twice a year as required by the FAR's.   If I needed to see a doctor in between visits to the FAA Medical Doctor, I just went to a local guy and as far as my occupation on his medical questionnaire, I was self-employed.  Once I got my salary continuation insurance then  I always went to Eastern's Flight Doctor and prayed that he grounded me.
:airplane: I would give anything to see those "Hockey Stick" paint schemes flying around again! That would mean I would be in late 20's at best and would have a lot of exciting events and women to look forward to again! LOL
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2015, 10:19:40 AM »

No matter the cause, if this incident causes mental instability he should not be allowed to take responsibility of 200 peoples lives. It's all black and white in my book. You don't like it? You travel in his plane.

Pilot: Oh geez I'm a little absent minded right now because my family just got killed (while doing pre-flight checklist).
Passenger: Oh thats's ok. I'm sure you'll do fine fly along...  :rolleyes:

By the way the Germanwings pilot was beign treated for suicidal tendencies of all things.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:22:41 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone