Author Topic: sinking cv's  (Read 1221 times)

Offline lerxst

• Zinc Member
sinking cv's
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:30:18 PM »
I am yet again amazed and perplexed at how easy it seems for guys to fly b24's right over a cv at no more than 7k not take a single hit from any flak,sink the cv then fly off to land. :bhead am i the only one who sees this ever happen?

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
Re: sinking cv's
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 11:32:55 PM »
Not as hard as you think. At 7k lead the cv by .6 boat lengths stagger your drop and cv is dead. I would come in at 7.8k and try to stay above the ground ack. If some one decent is commanding the group it becomes a bit more difficult then.

Chuikov

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 11:34:19 PM »
No but I have lost a 262 to a direct hit of puffy ack, instantaneous kill, 3 times now... over a span of less than 1 month.  :noid
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 11:40:35 PM »
Yup, I don't take fighters anywhere near cv puffy

Chuikov

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 12:11:11 AM »
If no one turns the CV, you can easily sink one from 20k.  I have done so a few times. :)  Seems most folks ignore any bombers that are flying up so high, so yeah. :devil

I will admit that a LOT of the attacks I've seen recently on cv's (from both sides) seem to be around 7-8k, instead of the standard 10k.  Increased accuracy comes at a cost though, as 7-8k is solid for a good 5" gunner.  I haven't lost many level bombers to CV auto-puffy.  The last time I lost a bomber was on a return trip from a strat raid in the G4M1.  Set my #3 drone on fire within a minute of entering it's range.  Other than that, the worst I generally get is a fuel leak, followed by a PW.

Dive bombers are a different animal.

SBD's get within puffy range, then explode.  Ju-87's get to dive point, then explode.  The only dive bomber that survives to drop (and even escape most of the time) is the D3A.  Least that's how it feels to me. lol  It's been so long that I've honestly forgotten if the D3A has an AP bomb now... :o  Wouldn't matter all that much since it wouldn't be very effective against anything but a DD, and even then I don't think it could sink one.  :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 12:45:09 AM »
B25Cs 2,500' sinks it EVERY time may lose a bird or two but your under the puffy and the 25s can eat up the AAA guns pretty well.
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 11:06:29 AM »
  On the other hand, I have saved a CV a number of times by watching radar and turning the boat at the right time.  It doesn't always work, but it works often enough to make it work the effort.

And on yet another hand, there are some players who are deadly with a manned gun, and manage to nail just about anyone who comes in range. 

So a little vigilance and good tactics can make sinking the carrier much harder.  If you just let it drive out there by itself, a good bomber pilot is going to put it down.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 01:25:24 PM »
Op the buffs are taking damage trust me. Anyone can learn to bomb a CV level.... the most entertaining way is G.L.I.P bombing them in lancs! Buffs at 7k are easy target for 5" guns.
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 02:01:05 PM »
  The last time I lost a bomber was on a return trip from a strat raid in the G4M1.  Set my #3 drone on fire within a minute of entering it's range.

Drone got damage from auto puffy?  :headscratch:

You probably know by know that I keep detailed logs about my bomber sorties.

Since Sep 12, I lost a total of more than 90 bombers to auto puffy ack, and got about the same number of bombers with significant damage by it. Mostly over the strats, and some over task groups.
Never, not even once, a drone was effected. No drone ever leaked fuel, lost control surfaces or outright exploded by auto puffy. It's been always the lead bomber only.

Thats so many sorties (about 800 missions / 2300 'AH sorties' to the old cetral strats/city) and so many incidents that I can't even see that as some kind of freak statistical phenomenom. I claim: drones can't be hurt by puffy ack at all.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 02:03:25 PM »
B26s, 5K, 500lbs, salvo 2, it is rare to miss, once in while may not sink it.
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 02:41:49 PM »
I have done measurements offline.  I can't remember what altitude I came in over the CV group (perhaps 10K) but there was a zero percent chance of the auto puffy ack stopping me from sinking the CV.  Zero percent.  In fact, there was only a 10% chance of it taking out a single buff from my set of 3  (B-17s).  Despite all of everyones claims that they lost their 262 to CV ack, there is no chance whatsoever of the CV puffy ack stopping a set of bombers from sinking it.  None.  (Manned puffy is different; a good gunner might be able to take out all three bombers.  But it is very difficult as you have no way to aim since the auto puffy is making puffs everywhere.)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 03:22:05 PM »
B26s, 5K, 500lbs, salvo 2, it is rare to miss, once in while may not sink it.

you are brave  :cheers: :cheers:.  5.5 for me 1k bombs. dont care which way you turn it, i will sink it.  always look at the cruiser or the other boats they begin turning before cv does.  only way to stop me is if they have a great gunner or fighter cover.

last time I flew over the cv ended up with a bad engine on my lead plane and one on my drone.  landed all 3 planes anyway.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RSLQK186

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »
I claim: drones can't be hurt by puffy ack at all.
I know of one instance when this was not true. But it was due to a bug with a new release back when airfields had auto puffy. 1st burst inta-towered my whole box. Fixed the next day.
Hacksaw- THE UNFORGIVEN
Founder- Special events contingent
"I'm very very sneaky"

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 07:14:26 PM »

You probably know by know that I keep detailed logs about my bomber sorties.

Since Sep 12, I lost a total of more than 90 bombers to auto puffy ack, and got about the same number of bombers with significant damage by it. Mostly over the strats, and some over task groups.
Never, not even once, a drone was effected. No drone ever leaked fuel, lost control surfaces or outright exploded by auto puffy. It's been always the lead bomber only.

Thats so many sorties (about 800 missions / 2300 'AH sorties' to the old cetral strats/city) and so many incidents that I can't even see that as some kind of freak statistical phenomenom. I claim: drones can't be hurt by puffy ack at all.

Are you sure about this???  It wasn't the first time I've lost a drone to auto-puffy.  While I could count on one hand, the number of drones I've lost to auto-puffy, I've had it happen.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 07:19:59 PM »

Are you sure about this??? 

Absolutely sure.
That's nothing out of my memory, I keep very detailed flight logs about every bomber sortie I do. And for about 2 years, most of them took me to the puffy inferno of the central/city strats.
I can say for any bomber sortie at any specific date, time & location what caused my losses and damages.
In total more than 90 losses to puffy, a similar number of damaged bombers and not a single one was a drone. Each time I had an oil hit, fuel leak, fuel fire or insta kill it's been the center bomber, without any exception.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman