Author Topic: Aiming Flak 88s  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Alucard_II

• Zinc Member
Aiming Flak 88s
« on: April 05, 2015, 08:45:58 AM »
Hi.

I'd like to get some suggestions as to how you can effectively aim the Flak 88s on fields. I've spent some time trying to figure out how to narrow down your shots to a certain area, but it just honestly seems impossible.

Didn't flak 88s have any sort of iron sight? I find it really hard to hit anything at just 4k+ with only a tracer.

So, any secrets to getting the flak 88 to work effectively?

Thanks.
Happily confused and Insane.

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
Re: Aiming Flak 88s
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »
It took some time, but I developed clear plastic overlays for my screen for the 88's, 37's, wirb, and ostwind.  Each one is basically a sight with distance tick marks.  The ostwind/wirb and 37mm overlays have lead tick marks too, which while not 100% accurate, they got me in the neighborhood quicker.  And it was more of a training thing.  I don't use those much anymore.  The one I continue to use the most is the 88 flak overlay.  It looks like a crazy family of graphs and lines, but I understand it.  It shows distance and vertical elevation angle tick marks and lines.  Again it's not 100% accurate and is more of a training aid, but I can nail approaching bombers pretty far out, 8k-ish.  I also have overlays for the M4 rockets (I never use anymore), and for the 88 firing AP at distant targets out to 7-8k (like a nearby gv field). 

Some info on leading came from the internet (mils and sight ring info mostly), but a lot of it was from time spent in offline practice.  I'll be honest I'm probably going to keep the actual overlays to myself, but I will be more than willing to explain how I got to the point of having usable overlays.  It didn't take me long.  Maybe an hour to a couple hours for each overlay. 
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 10:32:54 AM »
ROFL!  This is where the 'real' fishermen become deaf and mute after being asked what bait to use for the 'really big bass'.

The 88 AA appeals to the 'inner dweeb' and some players are finding it irresistible.   They are also becoming very good with it.  I would be pleased, and very surprised, if the OP gets a good answer.  I bow to Yankee67's problem-solving skills, but I personally draw the line somewhat before screen overlays.  At the same time I will confess to once placing a dry-marker dot in the center of my monitor.   :bolt:

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 10:58:20 AM »
Look up a guy named 715B.

He's damn good in the 88.  One time I remember flying past a base at about 8k in a set of Lancasters.  He got all 3 with three shots.  I wasnt even pissed.  That s&!t was impressive LOL. Kinda like when Ron Burgundy found out his dog ate an entire wheel of cheese  :lol

Smoker82 is good in the 88's as well. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:16:15 AM by jimbo71 »
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »
you'r all cheaters
Pies not kicks.

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »
you'r all cheaters

I believe the term is "L33T HAXZORS" 

xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 11:17:48 AM »
In my defense, I am a licensed engineer who cut his teeth right out of college in an Allied Signal lab working on the ballistics performance of the very first, primitive, wearable spectra fiber fabric geometries.  Doing experiments, collecting data, and developing characteristic curves is in my blood.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 11:51:38 AM »
Yankee67 <S>!  You, sir, have credentials and a powerful inner-dweeb.  I understand that as a former computer solutions architect who is tempered only by a touch of laziness.   :grin:

Eurastus was my 88mm Huckleberry.  Rook back base, P38J, high-velocity dive for a VH...dead after one ranging shot.  My sneakiness was vastly surpassed by his sneakiness.

*sigh*  I just can't get over it.

George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »
Nothing better than busting a runway vulcher with the 88.  It takes practice but it is rewarding when you blow up something including a GV with the AP round.  A couple of things.  If the target is chasing one of your guys and they are in the 3K and under range, aim for the green guy.  Even if you miss you will help break the guy off.  Under 2K just lead a few plane lengths.  After that it is much much harder.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 02:51:22 PM »
perk manned guns  :bolt:
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 04:08:10 PM »
Look up a guy named 715B.

He's damn good in the 88.  One time I remember flying past a base at about 8k in a set of Lancasters.  He got all 3 with three shots.  I wasnt even pissed.  That s&!t was impressive LOL. Kinda like when Ron Burgundy found out his dog ate an entire wheel of cheese  :lol

Smoker82 is good in the 88's as well.

xxxJCxxx is right 715B and Smoker82 are both real good in 88's. Another one is Tinkles. I'll get one every now and then but these guys there do it consistently. :salute
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »
Ryno is very good in it as well.
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Pluto

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 06:12:22 PM »
Ryno is very good in it as well.

He has taken me out numerous times

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 08:08:59 PM »
You mean not everybody has a marker dot on their screen, I thought that was mandatory aces high stuff :D

BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 02:16:37 PM »
Slave the 88 to your mouse first along with the firing button to the left mouse click. Tune down the mouse x,y sliders in the mouse control so on full zoom your traverse speed of the black ring matches the white ring. At normal FoV unzoomed this will still have the mouse move faster than the traverse speed of the 88. Know where you are mousing the black ring to so you can move it rapidly to the future point you think a plane will be while waiting for the white ring to traverse with the barrel.

The offline target gives you (range, heading, azimuth). Most of your toughest targets will be between 10 and 15 thousand feet. So you can understand the relationship between the white ring, range and azimuth. Put the target up starting at 5000yds and an azimuth of about 20. Shoot at it to get your feel for elevation while moving it around.

Using the mouse to traverse and shoot while leading bombers, you use your timed explosion black puffs to adjust to the moving bombers along with changing the elevation\timer (C,V) for the 88 fuse. An over lay for your monitor is up to you.

Use the target along with changing to AP rounds at ground level to learn aiming for shooting at GV. The real direct fire system is a 4x scope with zeiss crosshairs slaved to an elevation control system. You adjust an elevation dial in 1Mil increments and the barrel is raised and lowered. Similar principle you are used to in some of the german tanks.

For AA aiming an external master control system is utilized with the gun crew being given elevation and direction info they dial to and fire on command. Otherwise our individual fire system and slow traverse rate is a compromise with history and game play. If we were given the higher of the two traverse speeds, you could never again have furballs near an airfield. In effect you would have 5in single gun turrets and their traverse rate on the airfield.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.