Author Topic: How on earth can people be so stupid.  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: How on earth can people be so stupid.
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2015, 12:16:55 AM »
I don't understand how that damn possum gets into my attic, nor why everything that grows well in my garden is actually a weed.

On the other hand, I don't attribute either of those lacks of comprehension to some massive global conspiracy.

Perhaps I should.

Then again, sometimes there really is nothing to see here, move along.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2015, 01:37:24 AM »
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:16:04 AM by Skuzzy »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2015, 01:41:34 AM »
It would take a crap load of planes.  The Mount Pinatubo eruption in 1991 ejected almost 30,000,000,000 tonnes of ash and other stuff into the atmosphere causing global temperatures to drop 0.5 degrees celsius.  Just try and imagine the number of planes that would have been needed to put all that stuff into the atmosphere.

The simulations showed that a surprisingly small amount is all that takes to cancel the effects of global warming which happen VERY much slower than 0.5 degrees per year. You need to get a grasp of proportions.

Cooling the whole planet is one thing, stopping a very minute progression is another. The irony is that even a temporary cooling would do far more damage to crops and other sources than a similar raise.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2015, 01:56:30 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:16:36 AM by Skuzzy »
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2015, 03:45:05 AM »
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:17:11 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2015, 08:28:39 AM »
There simply *has* to be a way to make money off these people!
Ever seen that rack of false motivational roadkill (FMBS) books at the drugstore? Easy money. I think I'd be good at making those.

Fish in a barrel..
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:19:05 AM by Skuzzy »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2015, 10:18:15 AM »
please don't tell me that the lore of chemtrails is becoming a legit issue on this board...
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2015, 10:27:27 AM »
please don't tell me that the lore of chemtrails is becoming a legit issue on this board...

I believe in cumtrails :joystick:
See Rule #4

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2015, 10:46:09 AM »
How did I get rule 4ed for that? It wasn't intended to be an insult. The spread of miss information by so called "scientist" and their elaborate "simulators" is dampening to society. I'm just trying to help Mr. Ripley out here by telling him not to fall prey to misconceptions about the earth. It is so large and grand that no scientist could predict the climate, or change the climate with chemtrails or spraying pollution into the atmosphere. It simply is not feasible by one person. No matter how many "chemtrails" you make at 20K the effects will have no consequences to humans as the chemicals will break apart and dispearse. Most won't even drop to the human level. A chemtrial will not do anything with global warming. You have to understand how weather and climate works to understand why this isn't a realistic idea
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:48:00 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2015, 11:41:12 AM »
How did I get rule 4ed for that? It wasn't intended to be an insult. The spread of miss information by so called "scientist" and their elaborate "simulators" is dampening to society. I'm just trying to help Mr. Ripley out here by telling him not to fall prey to misconceptions about the earth. It is so large and grand that no scientist could predict the climate, or change the climate with chemtrails or spraying pollution into the atmosphere. It simply is not feasible by one person. No matter how many "chemtrails" you make at 20K the effects will have no consequences to humans as the chemicals will break apart and dispearse. Most won't even drop to the human level. A chemtrial will not do anything with global warming. You have to understand how weather and climate works to understand why this isn't a realistic idea

I guess you know better than the scientists then.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/03/geoengineering-caldeira-climate-change

This fools opinion obviously contradicts yours:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Caldeira

Kenneth Caldeira is an atmospheric scientist who works at the Carnegie Institution for Science's Department of Global Ecology.

But yeah, what would he know.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:42:48 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2015, 12:15:15 PM »
Taken from the Article

As my colleague Tim McDonnell explained back when the NAS study was released:
Albedo modification would [use] airplanes or rockets to deliver loads of sulfate aerosols into the stratosphere, where they would bounce sunlight back into space. But if the technology is straightforward, the consequences are anything but.

The aerosols fall out of the air after a matter of years, so they would need to be continually replaced. And if we continued to burn fossil fuels, ever more aerosols would be needed to offset the warming from the additional CO2. [University of California-San Diego scientist Lynn] Russell said that artificially blocking sunlight would have unknown consequences for photosynthesis by plants and phytoplankton, and that high concentrations of sulfate aerosols could produce acid rain. Moreover, if we one day suddenly ceased an albedo modification program, it could cause rapid global warming as the climate adjusts to all the built-up CO2. For these reasons, the report warns that it would be "irrational and irresponsible to implement sustained albedo modification without also pursuing emissions mitigation, carbon dioxide removal, or both."

This is exactly what I mentioned earlier. There is no doubt that the world is warming, however, cloud seeding with chemicals such as the aerosol stuff would more than likely cause more/other problems. It is simply a huge risk that may or may not actually help the earth, this is a final solution in case of a huge heating phenomenon that I don't even think would happen in our life time, not to mention the earth could get even hotter during this cloud cover initially from all the C02 staying in the atmosphere. I still do not think one stream would cause anything to change on a global perspective. The earth pollutes trillions of C02/water vapor/methane not only from plants and our oceans, but from volcanoes as well. Humans only make up roughly 2-3% or less of the total C02 emissions. While humans may cause the earth to be warming a little faster. The only true thing we could actually do is lower emissions and cease the release of harmful chemicals into the atmosphere. Cloud seeding on a grand scale would either have very harmful effects, or it wouldn't do anything at all.

The earth does what the earth does. Mother nature is a force not to mess with. The earth works in crazy ways and I simply do not believe any man made proposals, besides cutting down emissions, will actually do anything to stop the earth from going through cycles. Global Warming is not an easy thing to stop. look at 10,000 years ago during an ice age. First the earth had to go through massive global freezing, and then go through a massive global warming. Humans weren't even contributing to that one bit. This cycle lasted over a thousand years. You have to consider that the earth goes through cycles just like everything else. It has been through global freezing and cooling for millions of years. A single stream of aerosol isn't going to effect that very much.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:17:26 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2015, 12:35:45 PM »
Taken from the Article

As my colleague Tim McDonnell explained back when the NAS study was released:
Albedo modification would [use] airplanes or rockets to deliver loads of sulfate aerosols into the stratosphere, where they would bounce sunlight back into space. But if the technology is straightforward, the consequences are anything but.

The aerosols fall out of the air after a matter of years, so they would need to be continually replaced. And if we continued to burn fossil fuels, ever more aerosols would be needed to offset the warming from the additional CO2. [University of California-San Diego scientist Lynn] Russell said that artificially blocking sunlight would have unknown consequences for photosynthesis by plants and phytoplankton, and that high concentrations of sulfate aerosols could produce acid rain. Moreover, if we one day suddenly ceased an albedo modification program, it could cause rapid global warming as the climate adjusts to all the built-up CO2. For these reasons, the report warns that it would be "irrational and irresponsible to implement sustained albedo modification without also pursuing emissions mitigation, carbon dioxide removal, or both."

This is exactly what I mentioned earlier. There is no doubt that the world is warming, however, cloud seeding with chemicals such as the aerosol stuff would more than likely cause more/other problems. It is simply a huge risk that may or may not actually help the earth, this is a final solution in case of a huge heating phenomenon that I don't even think would happen in our life time, not to mention the earth could get even hotter during this cloud cover initially from all the C02 staying in the atmosphere. I still do not think one stream would cause anything to change on a global perspective. The earth pollutes trillions of C02/water vapor/methane not only from plants and our oceans, but from volcanoes as well. Humans only make up roughly 2-3% or less of the total C02 emissions. While humans may cause the earth to be warming a little faster. The only true thing we could actually do is lower emissions and cease the release of harmful chemicals into the atmosphere. Cloud seeding on a grand scale would either have very harmful effects, or it wouldn't do anything at all.

The earth does what the earth does. Mother nature is a force not to mess with. The earth works in crazy ways and I simply do not believe any man made proposals, besides cutting down emissions, will actually do anything to stop the earth from going through cycles. Global Warming is not an easy thing to stop. look at 10,000 years ago during an ice age. First the earth had to go through massive global freezing, and then go through a massive global warming. Humans weren't even contributing to that one bit. This cycle lasted over a thousand years. You have to consider that the earth goes through cycles just like everything else. It has been through global freezing and cooling for millions of years. A single stream of aerosol isn't going to effect that very much.

Nobody ever talked anything about it being feasible. I mentioned that simulations showed it is very much possible to alter the climate and it doesn't take a huge volcano. Some of you saw necessary to dispute it without doing your due diligence on the subject.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2015, 12:47:41 PM »
Simulations are simulations. There is no way to actually prove that this is a legit theory. It is all speculations and philosophy. Just because a simulator made in when 1970?, shows that a single stream of aerosol can change the climate, doesn't mean it would actually work. I mean common, there is no way to prove that. A simulation is man made with probably not even close to the amount of actual compounds/weather patterns in the true atmosphere. We have factories and under water volcanoes that spew out crap all day every day for hundreds of years. It may join the rest of the worlds greenhouse gases, but singly they don't do a damn thing by themselves.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2015, 12:50:33 PM »
Simulations are simulations. There is no way to actually prove that this is a legit theory. It is all speculations and philosophy. Just because a simulator made in when 1970?, shows that a single stream of aerosol can change the climate, doesn't mean it would actually work. I mean common, there is no way to prove that. A simulation is man made with probably not even close to the amount of actual compounds/weather patterns in the true atmosphere. We have factories and under water volcanoes that spew out crap all day every day for hundreds of years. It may join the rest of the worlds greenhouse gases, but singly they don't do a damn thing by themselves.

I place far higher trust in world renowned scientists simulations than in your opinion. End of story.