Author Topic: The game play lately sucks!  (Read 19462 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
Re: The game play lately sucks!
« Reply #270 on: April 28, 2015, 07:14:02 AM »
200 is not relevant to the original debate IMO. Whilst it may play a more minor influencing role.......

The core topic is  access to, and quality of,   gameplay
Ludere Vincere

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #271 on: April 28, 2015, 07:18:10 AM »
The way I predict it would go down is something like this. Initially, a lot of folk would move to unprotected channel. Stay a while. Then say the hell with this and move to the protected channel. There would be a core group of ruffians who would populate unprotected and it would get terrible ugly for a while with everyone testing out their newfound freedom. Then even that would largely calm down as everyone kinda punches them self out. you would have flair ups and a couple of people who are total buttwipes. But the rest of the channel would gang up on those and they woudl either mellow or leave. Course you may end up with a diehard or two. But those would be pretty much shunned by the rest of the group

Exactly this occurred in the AvA some years ago.  A small but abusive group drove quite a number of players out of the arena.  "I don't need this" was a common refrain.  Attempts to moderate the abusers were met with the same sort of thing you've seen in these threads over the years:  "This is a competitive game and this is the way people compete;" "What are you, some sort of sissy that you can't take a little smack talk?"  People didn't bother to respond, they simply voted with their feet.

If you're going to have cross-country communications - or even same-country communications - you have to have moderators, or you end up with handful of mouthy people who finally get bored and leave when everyone else is gone.

- oldman

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #272 on: April 28, 2015, 08:02:58 AM »
    This is exactly why the game is degrading. This HQ issue has been discussed on these forums for YEARS now, Becoming even more prevalent in the past 8 months. Emails and phone calls have been made to HTC also. But NOTHING has been offered by HTC, No comment, No solution. Infact .. not even an acknowledgement.  MANY grat players, have offered MANY great ideas to solve this problem, but without ANY feeback from HTC, we can only assume they have been ignored.

(forgive me if this has been addressed by HTC, I don't read the forums nearly as much as I used to. But since I have not personally seen a response, and people are still complaining about the exact same issue, I can only assume it has not)

So their customers are left frustrated and ignorant to the future of the game. I have seen so many long time players who contributed immensely to this game, simply throw up their hands and leave. 

I used look forward all day, to getting home and playing. Last month I hardly played at all, this month I think I've logged in 3 times, and quite frankly.. I was a little peeved when I saw HTC billed my card this month, because I had planned to suspend my account for a few months, maybe even cancel completely.   

This^  :aok :aok :aok
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:04:42 AM by ghi »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #273 on: April 28, 2015, 08:27:53 AM »

Exactly this occurred in the AvA some years ago.  A small but abusive group drove quite a number of players out of the arena.  "I don't need this" was a common refrain.  Attempts to moderate the abusers were met with the same sort of thing you've seen in these threads over the years:  "This is a competitive game and this is the way people compete;" "What are you, some sort of sissy that you can't take a little smack talk?"  People didn't bother to respond, they simply voted with their feet.

If you're going to have cross-country communications - or even same-country communications - you have to have moderators, or you end up with handful of mouthy people who finally get bored and leave when everyone else is gone.

- oldman

Only my way they dont have to leave the arena. Simply switch channels then you dont have to even see what the abusers have to say. And if they say it in the clean channel. They are gone for the night.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline M1A1

• Copper Member
« Reply #274 on: April 28, 2015, 08:44:40 AM »
I think trying to fix anything for AHII is not a priority for The guys at HTC. I mean why worry about it if they are getting ready to release a new version. It is to me like trying to fix up your old car when you are buying a new one. Why put the time and effort into it? While it may cause some folks to leave the new version my drive subscriptions up again and the loss is recouped with new blood so it is a trade-off they seem willing to make. While it may suck in the end it is what it is. I sympathize with folks as I would love to have new/better game-play but in the end it is a game and you never will make everyone happy. I will for myself tough it out and wait for the new version as the game has become more about the folks in the game than just the game itself. Flying with my squaddies and the others in country are what really make the game to me. It is like going to a bar where you know everyone and even though you do the same thing again and again it is fun and enjoyable because of the people not the activity..

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #275 on: April 28, 2015, 12:28:20 PM »
I don't and my example were repeat offenders over the last 7-8 years blatantly cussing out players on range vox.   Yes, that will have a larger effect, than 200.

My answer stands...read it again.  "Properly moderate" and this issue goes away. 

Now do you see????

Hint:  proper moderation removes those players you are attempting to make a point with.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #276 on: April 28, 2015, 08:22:27 PM »
My answer stands...read it again.  "Properly moderate" and this issue goes away. 

Now do you see????

Hint:  proper moderation removes those players you are attempting to make a point with.

I get it, but when the silent majority embraces the slugs, there is no point.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #277 on: April 28, 2015, 08:30:52 PM »
Dude. I like you
I respect you.

But Ive been seeing that very same statement in various forms including that exact statement about "we can clean it up" going way back to even airwarrior days. Now we're going back almost 20 years. Admirable thought. But it  hasnt had a lasting effect yet. Time and time and time again cleaning it up has been tried. and time and time and time again we end up exactly right here all over again

Im not defending what anyone has done or said on 200. Like I said. Its a train wreck.

But at some point it is going to have to be recognized that despite all efforts. Its just not going to happen. That may not be the desirable view. But if rationally thought out it is the only realistic one. History says so.

Time to try something new. Maybe that wont work either. But at least its better then doing the same thing thats been tried for years and years and we know hasnt worked

Give the idiots a place to bludgeon each other if thats what they want to do. Keep another channel clean and strictly enforced. Where civil people can play in peace.

I think you'd be surprised that when you take away the shallow end and have no lifeguard to rescue you at the swimming pool how many people would opt for the lifeguard after a while.

The way I predict it would go down is something like this. Initially, a lot of folk would move to unprotected channel. Stay a while. Then say the hell with this and move to the protected channel. There would be a core group of ruffians who would populate unprotected and it would get terrible ugly for a while with everyone testing out their newfound freedom. Then even that would largely calm down as everyone kinda punches them self out. you would have flair ups and a couple of people who are total buttwipes. But the rest of the channel would gang up on those and they woudl either mellow or leave. Course you may end up with a diehard or two. But those would be pretty much shunned by the rest of the group

Beauty of a clean channel is you wont have to see whats on the unprotected channel even if its directed at you. and if they come into the clean channel and start. They are gone very quickly.

It has been tried, yes, but it hasn't been maintained. Much like the boards, every once in a while Skuzzy comes in and lays about with his ban hammer and everything settles down again...... for a while and then slowly it goes back to being a cesspool. I don't blame Skuzzy, the poor guys got enough to do. He just doesn't have the time to MOD the boards day in and day out like they should be. The same goes for the game. I don't know how many MODs there are but I doubt they have enough to cover 24/7 like it should be. Would they have to be actively MODding? god I hope not! But they should be there to slap someone around if it needs to be done BEFORE things get out of hand.

Having a channel just for the A holes won't work either. THEY get there jollys off by annoying the "regular" folk. No regular folk in the A hole channel, they will just come looking for them.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #278 on: April 28, 2015, 09:37:21 PM »
I get it, but when the silent majority embraces the slugs, there is no point.

The silent majority may not be embracing the slugs.  They may be enjoying their night by ignoring the behavior or detuning 200.  The silent majority also understands that they cannot do anything about it except call HTC or hit the report button.  They cannot come here and beeeyatch, so they just fly and ignore.  I don't.  I watch and laugh at the idiocy.  One night, MrCrowley went completely MAZZ-rant bananas on Triton28.  I have never laughed that hard while playing Aces High, cept when I heard Surfinn quit because FlyinFinn got banned.  True story.

The End
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #279 on: April 29, 2015, 01:29:32 AM »
So if it takes 3 sets of bombers to take out the hq, will that garantee it will stay down for - hour???