Author Topic: New Wing for FW190's  (Read 1035 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
New Wing for FW190's
« on: April 15, 2015, 05:38:33 AM »
 :airplane: Someone told me some time back, that you could change the "game" mode on your stick to in essence change the character of the 190 wing! Does anyone have any info on this and how to do it, or did  I just dream this?
The 190 is a "bad" snapper, i.E., bad to snap[ roll when doing maneuvers.
We were discussing this last night In the MLW arena and I can't remember where I heard that!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: New Wing for FW190's
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 05:42:31 AM »
Hello ET, my elevator scaling looks like a logarithm starting at 4 at 10%, I fly 190s about 80% of my time in MA.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 05:52:06 AM »
Hello ET, my elevator scaling looks like a logarithm starting at 4 at 10%, I fly 190s about 80% of my time in MA.
:airplane:  :headscratch: I can't remember if it was a trainer in this game or whom it was, but I don't think I dreamed that up. Maybe someone can help with this!
Please explain a little clearer where you have your elevator scaling is set to for best results for you!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 08:01:47 AM »
:airplane: Someone told me some time back, that you could change the "game" mode on your stick to in essence change the character of the 190 wing! Does anyone have any info on this and how to do it, or did  I just dream this?
We were discussing this last night In the MLW arena and I can't remember where I heard that!

My best advice to you is, learn how to use the snap roll to your advantage in the 190s during verticle change of directions and scissors, it can come in handy during tight fights. Just be careful when you are coming out of a dive at low alt you don't snap roll into the ground. Gotta be gentle on the controls at that point.

Never heard of what you are talking about. Some fix scaling to make control stiff for less nose bounce. But I wouldn't dampen the roll rate of the 190s as it can be very effective.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 08:04:49 AM »
The only setting you could change would be the stall limiter. Turn it on and you will have a harder time stalling the plane. Of course you won't be able to push it to its limits either.

You can adjust your scaling to have the controls act a bit mushy, but again your limiting what is available to you.

The best thing is to learn to fly with a light hand on the stick. The better you learn to control your hand the better you will be able to control the planes.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 01:04:19 PM »
:airplane:  :headscratch: I can't remember if it was a trainer in this game or whom it was, but I don't think I dreamed that up. Maybe someone can help with this!
Please explain a little clearer where you have your elevator scaling is set to for best results for you!

Earl,

I would bet it wasnt a trainer!

You can change some setting that will effect the way your JS will respond but it will NOT change anything on the planes flight modeling.

Fugi has some good advice and about covers everything I would have said.

:salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »

You can set up control modes with different stick scalings. The wing will be the same, only the response curve on the stick is changed. Copy mode 1 to mode 3, set a button in mode 1 to switch to mode 3. Set the same button in mode 3 to switch back to mode 1. Mode 1 has your normal scaling. Set the pitch scaling in mode 3 to suit your FW190 flying. Pressing one button will now toggle between 2 different stick scale settings.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 02:53:09 PM »
You can set up control modes with different stick scalings. The wing will be the same, only the response curve on the stick is changed. Copy mode 1 to mode 3, set a button in mode 1 to switch to mode 3. Set the same button in mode 3 to switch back to mode 1. Mode 1 has your normal scaling. Set the pitch scaling in mode 3 to suit your FW190 flying. Pressing one button will now toggle between 2 different stick scale settings.

Woahh, very interesting here. Might have to play around with that myself.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 03:14:47 PM »
Just turn off your engine once in a while.  It's a 190 thing I think...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline RedAgony

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »
Just turn off your engine once in a while.  It's a 190 thing I think...

I HATE THIS AND IT SHOULD BE PATCHED.  You know what I mean... you're in a stall fight with a 190 or a 109 down low... and when they get to the top they cut the engine to swing around and get a cheesy kill... then start back up and motor away.

What?  What was an inertia starter anyway? 
This song came on, and I was invincible:

https://youtu.be/T3yPyc5ZdNs

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
I HATE THIS AND IT SHOULD BE PATCHED.  You know what I mean... you're in a stall fight with a 190 or a 109 down low... and when they get to the top they cut the engine to swing around and get a cheesy kill... then start back up and motor away.

What?  What was an inertia starter anyway?

And what does cutting one's engine off do, exactly? I'm curious what advantage people think that it gives.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 27-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline RedAgony

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 07:37:47 PM »
After much searching I believe I have found out why people do it.

I theorize that they are abusing the way drag is produced.  Engines that are on (or windmilling) produce drag at the front of the plane (where the prop is usually located),  when you turn your engine off-- the props in this game automatically feather and I can only assume produce 0 drag.

So, how does this help?  In a stall fight nearing the top of the loop reducing drag will make more use of your momentum and allow you to travel a greater distance before reaching 0 airspeed.  Further, now with a 0-drag moment forward of your CG, other controls become more effective, meaning turning moment generated by your elevator wouldn't have the drag force from the spinning propeller countering it whereby speeds the rotation and *could allow one to get the nose around to get a shot off faster.

here are some of the threads that I have pulled up:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,239173.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,192682.60.html
This song came on, and I was invincible:

https://youtu.be/T3yPyc5ZdNs

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 08:04:23 PM »
Its because of the apparent "Aggressive Torque modelling"
See Rule #4

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 08:10:36 PM »
After much searching I believe I have found out why people do it.

I theorize that they are abusing the way drag is produced.  Engines that are on (or windmilling) produce drag at the front of the plane (where the prop is usually located),  when you turn your engine off-- the props in this game automatically feather and I can only assume produce 0 drag.

So, how does this help?  In a stall fight nearing the top of the loop reducing drag will make more use of your momentum and allow you to travel a greater distance before reaching 0 airspeed.  Further, now with a 0-drag moment forward of your CG, other controls become more effective, meaning turning moment generated by your elevator wouldn't have the drag force from the spinning propeller countering it whereby speeds the rotation and *could allow one to get the nose around to get a shot off faster.

here are some of the threads that I have pulled up:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,239173.0.html

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,192682.60.html

Multi-engine aircraft feather their props during power loss, single engine aircraft do not. Further, Aces High does not model auto-feather behavior during oil pressure loss AFAIK.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 27-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 06:21:21 PM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/59640312@N02/16551815613/in/set-72157633807895095

Click on the link above.
It really depends on what joystick you have, I'm using a Thrustmaster Warthog.
I do not use combat trim.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 06:24:02 PM by save »
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera