Author Topic: Stupid things you did or fell for when you were new  (Read 3192 times)

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Re: Stupid things you did or fell for when you were new
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2015, 03:00:25 PM »
I always flew bombers until about my first 5 months into the game.

I spent the first 4 weeks of that not knowing a bombsight existed.
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
Reading through these doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling for the future of this world if you guys are our future generation that is.  :O

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2015, 03:30:31 PM »
Reading through these doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling for the future of this world if you guys are our future generation that is.  :O

:rolleyes:
See Rule #4

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2015, 03:55:15 PM »
Eagle and I had our super-noob moment when we both dove too fast in our 262ks and beautifully augered behind a set of very confuxed B-26s almost syncronized...

Crabs: LET'S GIT-UM
Eagle: RAWR!!!! WE IZ INVINCIBIBIBIBLE

(*2 seconds later)

"Ploink into water

B-26's: What just happened
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »
I don't know why people just don't read the manual. <sarcasim off>
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2015, 04:32:59 PM »
Diving into furballs blowing all my E and getting ganged .......... :bhead

Lol I do that almost daily, thou I really just want to fight  :joystick: :bolt:
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2015, 05:37:41 PM »
I didn't find the zoom key for about a year.

Then all the players I asked said it was only for noobs and sissy's. One legend of the DA and MA told me pretty much the same thing in the DA while he was schooling me on how to fail miserably. I had been using zoom to see when he popped flaps. So it was another year before I mapped that function to my joystick. It was around that time I even bothered to learn how to bomb and shoot rockets. Heck, I even started flying the IL2 because I could find the GV after I mapped zoom.

Funny thing, if I had never mapped it, I would have never bothered with making gunsights. After all, if you change your default FoV wider than the default, anything but a dot kills your forward view.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2015, 06:16:39 PM »
I thanked the check six voice for almost a week.

the best Check 6 one was the time some new guy Im guessing a kid  of maybe his late teens was flying and all of a sudden a few of us hear him say "Oh no. Not you again"

When asked who he meant he stated

"This guy with a really deep voice keeps following me around saying "check 6, check 6""

Having come over from AW since the days it was on AOL I really didnt have and dumb noob things in AH.

AW was another story. There. Just like many I fell for the insta log trick when asking how to do something.

But my favorite was on my first day I upped in  a 109. Immediately I saw a pair of 38's and shot them down. All proud of myself I was thinking how I was going ot tear this game up. I proceeded on and found a B-17 and started shooting at it. When suddenly across the text buffer I saw "qg123. why are you shooting at me?"

It was then I got that sick feeling as I realized that I had been shooting down and at players on my own side
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2015, 09:18:05 PM »
I got my n00bish stuff out of the way in Warbirds.  I was utter rubbish at MMO flight sims, but other than poor tactics and airmanship never made any particular errors based on interface or computer commands.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2015, 11:32:27 PM »
My very first sortie was in an M-3.  Walleye had taken a town down, and called for troops.  I rolled into town, and couldn't figure how to release them (I was in the gunners position, not driver), or use the radio.  Walleye was trying his best to motivate me, but I couldn't even ask him a question.  I was so embarrassed I towered out right in front of him. 
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2015, 11:36:07 PM »
And my first bomber sortie wasn't much better.  The country was attacking a port, so I upped B-25's.  Everyone is taking out guns and vehicles, etc.  With a great sense purpose and high level of motivation, I lined up and bombed the carrier tied up to the dock.
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2015, 01:23:25 PM »
the best Check 6 one was the time some new guy Im guessing a kid  of maybe his late teens was flying and all of a sudden a few of us hear him say "Oh no. Not you again"

When asked who he meant he stated

"This guy with a really deep voice keeps following me around saying "check 6, check 6""

Having come over from AW since the days it was on AOL I really didnt have and dumb noob things in AH.

AW was another story. There. Just like many I fell for the insta log trick when asking how to do something.

But my favorite was on my first day I upped in  a 109. Immediately I saw a pair of 38's and shot them down. All proud of myself I was thinking how I was going ot tear this game up. I proceeded on and found a B-17 and started shooting at it. When suddenly across the text buffer I saw "qg123. why are you shooting at me?"

It was then I got that sick feeling as I realized that I had been shooting down and at players on my own side

I was in a short term squad called the Thunder Riders back in AW. Some of you may hear me and 999000 joke on VOX or text about flying spitfires inverted behind B17's.

I first met 999 because my CO then heard a rumor that a bug existed in AW. If you fly a spit9 inverted behind a bomber it can't shoot you down. That is how I met 999000. He shot all 6 of us down as we pulled up behind his B17 inverted line abreast.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2015, 01:54:37 PM »
you guys keep this up and us newbies wont feel so bad . in fact it will probably save us from future embarrassment...
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2015, 02:13:53 PM »
I remember one time when i first started playing i saw a 109g-14 so i went after him. That time i use to fly with a mouse and was always in the ki84. I never knew how to maneuver or work the throttle or flaps so i decided to aim straight at him and i was getting closer. Next thing he pulls left then right then up and over(Scissors then and quick up and over move and was on my 6)....I said to myself how the hell can he turn so tight and so quick lol....stupid me didn't have no idea how to work throttle or maneuver. This 109g-14 was Hartmann(i think he changed his name now). So i upped again and i started to move left to right and stuff.....lol then i get the messages don't move your controller so rapidly LMAO....I kept yanking around the plane(what you call stick stirring in the MA) LMAO.....it took me a while to get use to flying...Once i got the hang of the game slowly I began to use my imaginary skills to maneuver and fly and things got alot better. :salute :salute
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2015, 01:33:10 PM »
I remember being absolutely stunned that people from all over the world could fly against each other in combat in real time, or real close to real time. Thats how late I came to gaming.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"