Author Topic: D Day Seafire  (Read 851 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
D Day Seafire
« on: May 06, 2015, 10:49:36 AM »
After my recent D Day Mosquito skin I wondered if there were any applicable aircraft that had not yet got a D Day scheme skin and the only one I could find was the Seafire. (Technically the Mk 8 Spit skin we have was a Mk 7 with half sized stripes, so if anyone knows of a better Mk 8 D Day scheme....)

Four Seafire squadrons, two RAF Mustang squadrons and VCS-7, a USN squadron flying borrowed RAF Spitfire Mk Vs were all incorporated into the 3rd Naval Air Spotter Wing for the D Day invasion. The job of the 3rd NASW was to provide gunnery correction to the Allied battleships and cruisers lying off the Normandy beaches. For the sake of serviceability it was decided to pool all the Seafires and Spitfires into one group, so often US pilots would fly Seafires and vice versa.

3rd NASW aircraft flew in pairs just below the clouds with one pilot radioing corrections to a ship offshore while the other kept an eye out for enemy fighters. This was a real danger as the naval gunfire could be so devastating German forward air controllers would often vector Luftwaffe fighters in to intercept the spotters. Friendly fire from Allied ships, troops and aircraft was also a problem but the biggest danger was enemy flak. The low cloud base during the campaign meant the aircraft often had to stay uncomfortably low to the ground to do their job. In all some 30 aircraft were lost in 6,000 sorties flown before the front line moved beyond the range of the ships' guns.

The Seafires used were L Mk IIIs. These had low altitude Merlins with cropped impellers driving four bladed props which gave the aircraft a 4,700 fpm climb rate at low altitude. 3rd NASW pilots soon learned that nothing, Allied or Axis, could keep up with a Seafire III in a climbing turn. To improve the roll rate clipped wingtips were installed and the outer 303 guns removed. A gyro gunsight was fitted as well as a Canadian designed G suit to ease the pilots' workload during the constant turning over the target.

NF 547 was a Seafire L Mk III built in the Westland factory and assigned to 885 NAS before joining the 3rd NASW pool. Like many Westland-built Seafires it appears to have been painted in RAF rather than FAA colours. On June 8th Sub Lt R.C. Chamen shot down a Bf 109 over Caen while flying this aircraft and on the 16th Sub Lt R. Hales damaged two more 109s with it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: D Day Seafire
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:14:31 AM »
Very nice.

That said, AH needs the actual Seafire L.Mk III so having this rejected for the Seafire Mk II would be a hopeful sign.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:50:28 AM »
Much as I would like an L Mk III myself I don't think it is likely we will get one soon. If we do it would likely be when the Spits are next updated and I suspect that won't be until after all the remaining AH1 shapes are done. Seafire Mk III schemes are considered an acceptable substitution for AH and some of the existing Seafire skins are of that mark.

I think the reason for HTC going for a Seafire Mk II was that while there were many more IIIs built, the II was a more important mark historically. The II was the main Seafire mark in the Med, while the III was used mainly in the late Pacific campaign. However the FAA were relying more on the much longer ranged F6Fs and F4Us than the Seafire by that point.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:13:45 PM »
Beautiful.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 02:56:39 PM »
 :aok

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 02:04:46 AM »
new skin of choice for seafire.    :aok
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 02:30:44 AM »
Much as I would like an L Mk III myself I don't think it is likely we will get one soon. If we do it would likely be when the Spits are next updated and I suspect that won't be until after all the remaining AH1 shapes are done. Seafire Mk III schemes are considered an acceptable substitution for AH and some of the existing Seafire skins are of that mark.

I think the reason for HTC going for a Seafire Mk II was that while there were many more IIIs built, the II was a more important mark historically. The II was the main Seafire mark in the Med, while the III was used mainly in the late Pacific campaign. However the FAA were relying more on the much longer ranged F6Fs and F4Us than the Seafire by that point.

But not entirely.

The final fighter vs fighter dogfight of WWII was between Seafire L.Mk IIIs and A6M5s.  The Seafires won, but the A6M5s scored some as well.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Blade

• Nickel Member
      • Battoutai
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 04:56:20 AM »
 :aok :aok :aok
---------------------------
Who Dares Wins
---------------------------