Author Topic: Fun as watching grass grow  (Read 10442 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Fun as watching grass grow
« Reply #165 on: May 10, 2015, 09:25:26 PM »
So how should we revamp the ENY system in order for it to fairly address the effectiveness of air-to-air combat.

WE aren't going to do anything, this is all on HTC  :D

Arlo and Skyrr can go back and forth all they want complicating the issues at hand.

With the lower numbers in the areas ENY is much more debilitating and "bouncing" around than when we had the higher numbers where it fluctuated much less as a few people logged in or out.

The large maps also, with the smaller numbers hurt game play by allowing the players to spread out to far and so have much less contact and so much less combat.

The issue with HQ is made more unbearable by the fact that with lower numbers there are less players to guard it, or failing that resupply it.

Add in the human nature of people who like to "just piss people off" and we get to have as much fun as watching grass grow.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: May 11, 2015, 12:09:59 AM »
WE aren't going to do anything, this is all on HTC  :D

Arlo and Skyrr can go back and forth all they want complicating the issues at hand.

With the lower numbers in the areas ENY is much more debilitating and "bouncing" around than when we had the higher numbers where it fluctuated much less as a few people logged in or out.

The large maps also, with the smaller numbers hurt game play by allowing the players to spread out to far and so have much less contact and so much less combat.

The issue with HQ is made more unbearable by the fact that with lower numbers there are less players to guard it, or failing that resupply it.

Add in the human nature of people who like to "just piss people off" and we get to have as much fun as watching grass grow.

That sums it up nicely--again.   Never mind as someone stated previously the effect the 12-hour rule has on this as well.   With these spikey number fluctuations one can side switch for balance and wind up in the same position they were in before they switched--only to be stuck there for ten hours.   Result: log off.

Any one of these factors is a disincentive.   Combined?    Fuhgetaboutit. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #167 on: May 11, 2015, 01:39:57 AM »
Gawsh, Bruv. In spite of Fugi tisking you, I think you're a good example to follow. Now if only we can get the angry and disturbed to do so instead of logging because the game's so hard and unfair.

well fugi completely missed my point.   At a time of day when people are really complaining about player numbers we had 55 bish vs 40 rooks and someone said hey guys 15 sets of b24's in this grid your like christ get me the bat phone and lets do this!   :eek:

whilst scenario style raids are not everyones cup of tea at that time of day it doesn't happen often and the only motivating reason for it was because 2x rooks then 4x rooks griefed the Bish HQ.   Not supporting any agenda I just thought it was good action for an hour or so and proving the OP there is two sides to every coin.

I guess in prime time it is becoming a default gameplay type and I can also see why you guys hate that so much.  Obviously hardening the HQ is the easiest answer but that is HT's call.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 01:43:09 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #168 on: May 11, 2015, 01:49:30 AM »
I would suggest that Logistic re supply should be harder ( slower) for sides with more fields and faster for sides with less fields.

great idea there Tilt!
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #169 on: May 11, 2015, 05:24:58 AM »
Getting closer to the day FineTime is rocking 3 accounts.

3 well timed strat formations.

3 well timed base defenders.

Giggidy giggidy.....

no worries no side switching on these accounts. Im just tired of depending on others 100% of the time for most of what i do. This way i can do my own thing whenever i want.

I do hope HTC addresses you folks on your concerns. Little nerve wracking coming to bbs everyday and reading these long complaint threads in the GF.  :salute
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #170 on: May 11, 2015, 07:32:50 AM »
It seems to me that that biggest factor in not finding fights is the majority of the current player base doesn't want to fight unless they can run away or have 3 other friendlies help gang you

Fixed that 4 you.  :aok

I don't think ENY in planes are really that out of wack. I think a P51D should be a 5 ENY plane. IMO almost everyone who flies it uses its one advantage to BnZ and run away from fights. The plane really is the most balanced fighter in the game. It can do everything almost above average, especially climb higher, further, and faster and than almost any other plane. It really is quite easy to be effective in it if you know the game and fly the plane properly.

I think perking Ord or perking the amount of bombers (with laser bullets) you can up with should be an option. Perks are just too easy to get and save in AH. I got 5000 perks ( what's the point) I could fly a 262 all month and prolly only lose 3-400 perks. There just isnt much use for them. So maybe making ord and an extra bomber perkable in order to make it more challenging instead of Wizz up ruining everyone's fun because he has nothing to worry about losing ( time/effort specificaly).

The eny in planes I think are fairly matched for the most part. If you played this game as long as I have and really understand (almost) every planes strength and weakness, you will understand why planes are gauged the way they are. Some are simply out matched in the MA. We are playing in an arena where you can up planes in 3 different time zones of the war, IRL you wouldn't have such an easy opportunity. That is why some older planes are 25 eny where as newer planes are 5 eny. They just completely out match older airplanes that shouldn't be fighting each other to begin with. But that is the challenge and point to gaining more perkies flying a more difficult (out of matched) plane in the Late war. Even a P51 v 109g14, the p51 almost is always able to run away from the fight. The p51 will give any 109K fight a challenge in 1v1 and if a P51 is on point, it should end up being a BnZ match by the p51. The p51 can out dive these planes and normally in most cases typically fly at a higher alt to begin with because of the 109s lack of diving ability. That is why their ENYs are so much higher compared to say a F4u1D just because it can dive quickly and turn well.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:46:56 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #171 on: May 11, 2015, 12:13:23 PM »
If Warbirds was such a great game (which it was not) why did everyone abandon it?

No, he is wrong.  In Warbirds we switched for balance all the time. 

Even when one side was rolling the map it was more fun than this.  The lines moved.  Here they are stagnant.   And on the rare days an offensive gets some steam the stupid ENY kicks in and shuts the fight down. 

Three-sided giant maps are a snooze fest.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: May 11, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »
The creators of Warbirds flew the coop and started their own game. That and the fact that Wild Bill is a dick  :devil

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #173 on: May 11, 2015, 12:20:32 PM »
If Warbirds was such a great game (which it was not) why did everyone abandon it?

Hell, same guy you're quoting abandoned AH, as well.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #174 on: May 11, 2015, 12:26:09 PM »

4. Don't hang out in the forum peeing all over the floor and saying 'the problem is the game', making excuses about your behavior, rationalizing why you quit to everyone and trying to get them to, as well. That's not part of a productive discussion and certainly isn't helping anyone else who may enjoy being part of the community and trying to help the game thrive. And don't try to pretend it's unfair to your freedom of speech or something. This is HT's forum like it's HT's game. He wants it to be successful and fun probably more than you do (quite frankly, if you're trying to encourage other players to cancel their sub, then it's obvious). Any other game forum on the web wouldn't put up with that. So either show a little appreciation and bond productively, for a change, or take it somewhere else.

+1 Too big for signature material LOL

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: May 11, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »
Hell, same guy you're quoting abandoned AH, as well.
:lol

Yep.  HawkerMKII/Vraciu et al - this 'issue' has been part of playing online WW2 sims for around 20+ years now.  One or two sides walloping a common side which reduces its capabilities. So what? It's part of the game. If you don't like it...well, there is an alternative.

If you're tired of the 3 sided war but like the 'evenly' matched fights, the AvA is the place to go.  I know most of you think it's a ghost town most of the time, but it was made for those tired of the Main Arena gameplay.  I'm also not going to sugar-coat the AvA - the learning curve is steep for newbs, but for a season's MA player who has also done S.E.A., this is a great place to fly and get the 1vs1 or 2vs2 fights - or take a bomber safely up and not be hoarded by 20 ME-163's or 262's when you fly over their HQ or strategic target.

When I first started in the Combat Theatre, we always had 10-20 guys flying during the day and up to 50-100 at night.  And it was a lot of fun with the classic and historical match-ups. As admins, we tried to balance the arena plane enabled to ensure it wasn't too one-sided.  That was our job as AvA volunteer admin. Our vision of the AvA/CT was to put the Aces High pilot in a historical match-up and emulate the situation Axis and Allied pilots found themselves in.

Give it a try.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #176 on: May 11, 2015, 12:45:26 PM »
Fixed that 4 you.  :aok

I don't think ENY in planes are really that out of wack. I think a P51D should be a 5 ENY plane. IMO almost everyone who flies it uses its one advantage to BnZ and run away from fights. The plane really is the most balanced fighter in the game. It can do everything almost above average, especially climb higher, further, and faster and than almost any other plane. It really is quite easy to be effective in it if you know the game and fly the plane properly.

I think perking Ord or perking the amount of bombers (with laser bullets) you can up with should be an option. Perks are just too easy to get and save in AH. I got 5000 perks ( what's the point) I could fly a 262 all month and prolly only lose 3-400 perks. There just isnt much use for them. So maybe making ord and an extra bomber perkable in order to make it more challenging instead of Wizz up ruining everyone's fun because he has nothing to worry about losing ( time/effort specificaly).

The eny in planes I think are fairly matched for the most part. If you played this game as long as I have and really understand (almost) every planes strength and weakness, you will understand why planes are gauged the way they are. Some are simply out matched in the MA. We are playing in an arena where you can up planes in 3 different time zones of the war, IRL you wouldn't have such an easy opportunity. That is why some older planes are 25 eny where as newer planes are 5 eny. They just completely out match older airplanes that shouldn't be fighting each other to begin with. But that is the challenge and point to gaining more perkies flying a more difficult (out of matched) plane in the Late war. Even a P51 v 109g14, the p51 almost is always able to run away from the fight. The p51 will give any 109K fight a challenge in 1v1 and if a P51 is on point, it should end up being a BnZ match by the p51. The p51 can out dive these planes and normally in most cases typically fly at a higher alt to begin with because of the 109s lack of diving ability. That is why their ENYs are so much higher compared to say a F4u1D just because it can dive quickly and turn well.

Demon hasnt changed his underwear for so long hes starting to smell like vinegar and ranch dressing....

:neener:
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Skull-1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #177 on: May 11, 2015, 01:15:30 PM »

For the same reasons people are abandoning this?   It was identical to this in most ways best I can tell.  I found it to be a great deal of fun. 

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: May 11, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »
what is your suggestion?

semp

I don't have one I don't really feel it needs to change.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #179 on: May 11, 2015, 02:15:05 PM »
lol.  ACM is tactical, as in Tactics.  Air Superiority is a Strategic position.  And, someone's is tarnishing his Trident.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann