Author Topic: Old F@RTS  (Read 8216 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: Old F@RTS
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »
lol have to like this thread . you cant blame us old f@rts we grew up watching tv shows like Combat  ,12 Oclock High , Rat Patrol ,McHale's Navy ,Hogan's Heroes etc .

You forgot, "Baa Baa Black Sheep".  Hokey plots, but those Corsairs were so cool.  They must have had 5 or 6 in flying condition to make the series.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 02:41:53 PM »

flakhapy :old:

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »
What the? Do you even understand what the phrase "by definition" means? There is literally nothing about the word "youth" that includes short attention spans or what is considered by them.

The word definition may be misplaced/misused. But the premise of the post as a whole is entirely correct.

There are smart youths who pay attention and take heed of what the elders say knowing they speak from a lifetime of experience. There is a reason why major decisions were left to the town elders and why the elders were the head of the family. (lest they suffer because of the inexperience, brashness, and arrogance of youth) And why there are more 45 year old Colonels then there are 26 year old Colonels. A very young Colonel is a very rare bird indeed (pun intended)

The elders and many before them have either learned from the mistakes of those made before them and taken heed when they themselves were young.   Or have already made and lived through the same mistakes they see youths make or are about to.

Then there is the not so smart hard headed youth. They might be highly intelligent intellectually. But not so bright in the experience or wisdom dept. Smart kids that refuse to listen still tend to make dumb kid mistakes. They are the brash arrogant obtuse youth. Rife with life's inexperience. They couldn't care less what the elders have to say or the lessons they teach or what anyone else thinks for that matter.

The elders can talk rationally to them till they are blue in the face. They may even try the ugly but often effective "Patton" doctrine "When I want something to stick I give it to them loud and dirty. Then they remember it." Often because they see the dumb kid as mirror images of their youth when they were the "dumb kid" making the same mistakes, using the same arguments and rational.

Too hard headed for their own good. They think know it all already. That their way is better and only way. The moment and its short term gains is all that matters to them. But then again even ten years is a long time for them. When to the elders its a mere blink of en eye. The "Dumb kids" equate immediate and short term success with long term success, profitability and credibility Or that  long term credibility is gained by short term success. They think its not how you play the game but that you win the game. 

The elders know this just isnt so. That how you play the game is at least as important as winning the game. They learned through lifes experience that credibility, respectability and honor all go hand in hand and you cant achieve ultimate personally meaningful success in life, love, or even a game for that matter without them.

The hardheaded "dumb kid." just HAS to find out for themselves what the elders knew all along or had learned long ago.

Ahh but there is one certainty. One thing the elders have on their side. One weapon the hard headed "dumb kid" cannot defeat and ultimately cannot ignore or escape. And that thing is time. One way or the other sooner or later the "dumb kids" eventually get it.  then the elders dont look so dumb anymore. As I told my kid and he has been comming to realise. "The older you get. The smarter I am going to become".

And one comfort. At some point in  a future time. It will be today's "dumb kids" who will be the elders chewing on tomorrows "dumb kids" and they will find themselves giving the same lectures. Often using the same words they themselves hated to hear that were used on them when they wee the "dumb kid"

Anyone who is a parent of a kid older then say 10 knows exactly what I mean.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 02:56:48 PM »
you have no idea how many times i had to live that life cereal commercial joke  hehehehehehe

Did you ..... like it?

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 03:18:11 PM »
Hey, you kids!  Get off my lawn!
+1
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 05:05:35 PM »
This game has to many old f@rts and retired people in it. They never change their ways and are not open to new ideas. Their reflexes are to slow to be any good in the game so they should all quit and leave it to the younger generation to make the game better....... :old:

Quality troll, given demographic.  6/10.

Your father should have spanked you more.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 09:41:48 PM »
You forgot, "Baa Baa Black Sheep".  Hokey plots, but those Corsairs were so cool.  They must have had 5 or 6 in flying condition to make the series.
nope did not forget that series. but that was in 1976 when it first came on and even though i watched it was not quite the same as 12 Oclock High. your right they had to have at least 5 Corsairs in working order. both shows had a lot of repeat photage. my favorite was the fighter pilot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3ZCAfKlc5E
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 10:03:15 PM »
I need TP  :neener:
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 10:36:51 PM »

I had a good reply to this thread.. but I forgot what it was  :old:
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 02:35:40 AM »
Did you ..... like it?
haha as they say if i had a dollar for every time
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 03:19:45 AM »
its true that enthusiasm of those brimming with ideas is diminished by the perpetual "been there done that and it didn't work" nay saying of those with too much experience but with little to add in terms of expertise.

I often see an idea damned by the nay-sayers rather than developed beyond its previous limitations.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 06:46:00 AM »
its true that enthusiasm of those brimming with ideas is diminished by the perpetual "been there done that and it didn't work" nay saying of those with too much experience but with little to add in terms of expertise.

I often see an idea damned by the nay-sayers rather than developed beyond its previous limitations.

Plus 1.  I see it everyday only the reasons are different.  Those with expertise fear the full potential of an idea they ignored or poo poo'd knowing full well it was brialliant.  It simply lacked proper execution.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 08:56:36 AM »
Plus 1.  I see it everyday only the reasons are different.  Those with only "experience" but little expertise fear the full potential of an idea they ignored or poo poo'd knowing full well it was brialliant.  It simply lacked proper execution.

Corrected.

Please forgive the pedantry but I have a constant battle with folk in my business who only apply experience to a problem and never enough expertise.
Ludere Vincere

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »

When were you outside my house???

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline scott66