Author Topic: Instadeath for flying off the grid  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Auger

• Nickel Member
      • AKs Home Page
Instadeath for flying off the grid
« on: May 16, 2015, 12:11:47 AM »
The level of sweetheartbaggery is already epic in this game.  Flying off the map boundaries should be rewarded with a loss of 1000 perk points in all categories and your plane and drones immediately destroyed.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
Re: Instadeath for flying off the grid
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 08:34:21 AM »
Or how about fly off the map and you automatically lose all ordnance and ammo?  Then they can fly out there all they want.  +1 on something needs to be done.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:17:28 AM »
The perk penalty suggested by the OP is a bit much. (Says someone who has fallen asleep online, occasionally.)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »
You would think that with how seriously HTC takes "cheating" in this game because they do not want any type of reputation of it being done, that you would see a much stronger presence in issues like these on the boards.

Gaming the game isn't "cheating", but if there is enough of it going on I would think that would tarnish the game almost as much. Shades, flying off the map, spies and so on while not as rampant as most players claim I'm sure there are some instances. I know of a number of players who have had shades and have used them to hunt others, or just given info to the other teams.

When the "hiding of carriers" was on a big up swing many discussions where posted on the boards..... well ok complaints. I commented once that I would be happy to let anyone know from either team were the CVs were hidden if they only asked. I believed Hitech himself posted that he would consider that cheating and suspend the player who did that.

So there are some rules to the game, the issue seems to be proving that it is happening and getting that info to the right people (HTC). I would think, that HTC trying to maintain a good cheat/hack free gaming environment would do more to monitor the issues. Either by coading, or by more MODs. 

Sorry, the penalty was muted for a week, not suspension.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,307699.msg3971548.html#msg3971548
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 09:43:52 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 10:00:17 AM »
What HTC takes seriously and won't put up wirh is hacking the game.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 10:03:55 AM »
What HTC takes seriously and won't put up wirh is hacking the game.

Agreed, but getting the reputation of a game where there are "spies", or shades giving away missions, or players who can fly off map and not be shot down isn't a good one either.

A lot of players like this game for the mission/team work aspect. If all there time and energy can be wiped out by a single shade squealing to the other team how many mission/team type players are going to keep trying?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:06:06 AM by The Fugitive »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
It's a form of hysteria that usually has less to do with 'cheating' and more to do with exaggerated suspician (which can snowball and do more damage than any degree of gaming). That's why Dale doesn't take it as seriuosly as you apparently want.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 10:43:07 AM »
It's a form of hysteria that usually has less to do with 'cheating' and more to do with exaggerated suspician (which can snowball and do more damage than any degree of gaming). That's why Dale doesn't take it as seriuosly as you apparently want.

me and at least two others in this thread..... of 5, not to mention many other threads/posts that have been run in the past few years. With more and more players hiding behind the internet these days that grey area of bending and breaking rules is changing. What people wouldn't have done a few years ago now is the norm because they are not held accountable. 

As admitted above when I said "while not as rampant as most players claim" but the problem does rear its ugly head more and more often these days. I'm not saying HTC must clamp down on play in the arena and restrict game play, however, a presence in threads like these or players in the game seeing an action taken will go a long way in quelling these complaints. Ignoring them can only make them grow.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 10:53:19 AM »
Massively increased fuel burn might work.  Turn around and save your plane(s)/sortie, or stay off the map and run dry of fuel in less than a sector.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 10:59:02 AM »
Can someone explain what the problem is with a player off the map? I don't intend to be argumentative I honestly don't understand the problem, everybody knows your off map if you are. If anything having the red arrow seems like a more precise locator than darbar in that you know where in the sector the bogey is when the arrow turns into darbar. Also there is at least one map where there is only a half sector on the map and when you go into it you get the arrows, green and red.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »
If anything having the red arrow seems like a more precise locator than darbar in that you know where in the sector the bogey is when the arrow turns into darbar.

That's not how the arrow works, it's always at a fixed position for that row (or line) of sectors. It's really just the equivalent of a dar bar, it doesn't point to your position.

Even worse, on many maps you can go far out offmap, up to several sectors. And of course, if going NOE you won't even get the arrow. On some maps, for example, this is an extremely safe way to attack the factories inexplicably position right near the map edges.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
Fly off of map=kill engine/engines. 
Some folks may actually fly off of the map accidentally.  This way this will have a brief chance to glide back in play and restart their engine.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »
+1 Coog. Simple. No extremes.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 11:35:17 AM »

That's not how the arrow works, it's always at a fixed position for that row (or line) of sectors. It's really just the equivalent of a dar bar, it doesn't point to your position.

Even worse, on many maps you can go far out offmap, up to several sectors. And of course, if going NOE you won't even get the arrow. On some maps, for example, this is an extremely safe way to attack the factories inexplicably position right near the map edges.

Hah! Another thing I didn't know, I would have sworn the arrow moved. I think we should write a manual for this game, there is so much that is obscure.

If I was to test how much of a problem this is, statistically speaking, would I do one mission from offmap and one mission on map alternating at the same time over the course of a few weeks or would this be just garbage because of the sample size? Say 21 missions of each?

Also is the list of maps in rotation written down anyware?
Pies not kicks.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 12:04:04 PM »
Fly off of map=kill engine/engines. 
Some folks may actually fly off of the map accidentally.  This way this will have a brief chance to glide back in play and restart their engine.

:aok

Also is the list of maps in rotation written down anyware?

current rotation:

ndisles
baltic
ozkansas
sfma
craterma
mesaview
tagma
smpizza
fester
mindanao
beta2