Author Topic: Windows 10 is coming  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Windows 10 is coming
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 05:45:32 PM »
Not going to be drawn into a time wasting discussion, with you, about it.

Ahem!  :old:

(I blame me.)

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 05:58:14 PM »
I ignored win8 becuse its interface is terrible and that I was sure not to support at work, bit I might pickup this one as the license is 'free' :) If the adoption rate is good I'll consider doing a MS certification...

I don't expect a big change in performance with windows until they touch the task managing, and break the backward compatibility in the process...

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 05:04:33 AM »
so whats the lowdown?  I'm a little wary that if microsoft are giving away something for free it is bound to be toejame?   

I also received the offer of upgrade on latest windows update.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 06:20:25 AM »
Microsoft has announced Windows 10 is the last version of Windows they are going to ship.  From this point forward they are going to treat the operating system as a service.

They have not fully defined what they mean as a "service".  Expect a massive migration to their cloud in the near future as they have said they are shifting focus to building a bigger cloud service.

It has been no secret they want to move the operating system to the cloud.  It was just a matter of when.  How they envision that working has yet to be announced.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 07:07:25 AM »
I would imagine their primary goal is to reduce staffing to maintain stock prices while increasing their control.  Screw the employee is the very best way to make big money. 

I would guess as well with a free update they can justify stopping any support and updates on current supported os like w7.

Free gives them tremendous leverage.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2015, 07:10:46 AM »
I'm going to download the Windows 10 update when it is available. However I will check out the various user forums for the hardware and software I have to see if there are any specific issues before I risk installing it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2015, 01:15:02 PM »
I'm going to download the Windows 10 update when it is available. However I will check out the various user forums for the hardware and software I have to see if there are any specific issues before I risk installing it.

Win10 has performed pretty much flawlessly in the 3 computers I'm running it on. There were some teething problems but they were all caused by third party software problems.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 03:10:53 PM »
I assume w10 free upgrade  will be the last update for any of their earlier os systems.  Should end any legacy updates.  Kind of w10 or nothing.

Somehow the years back "New Coke" comes to mind.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2015, 04:37:14 PM »
What Microsoft says they will do today, and what they do tomorrow sometimes does not match.  It will be interesting to see what happens.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 07:43:43 AM »
What Microsoft says they will do today, and what they do tomorrow sometimes does not match.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

I would not be surprised at all for ms to come up with some sort of fee attached w10 updates.  The question is, how will they make us pay.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »

:)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 03:23:38 PM »
 :rofl :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 08:51:54 AM »
Microsoft just gave me another reason to not get excited about Windows 10.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/26/free-windows-10-upgrades-danger/

Given the number of patches Microsoft has had problems with this last year, there is no way I would allow them to force feed patches and updates to my computer.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:25:27 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 10:44:29 AM »
Microsoft just gave me another reason to not get excited about Windows 10.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/06/26/free-windows-10-upgrades-danger/

Given the number of patches Microsoft has had problems with this last year, there is no way I would allow them to force feed patches and updates to my computer.

TBH that's probably for the best of the average home user. Unpatched windows boxes are the botnet haven. I have my Win10 boxes set to fast updates and they're working like a charm. Better that than an infected box.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:48:10 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone