Author Topic: Windows 10 is coming  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Windows 10 is coming
« on: June 01, 2015, 11:54:09 AM »
If it ain't compat, I'll skip it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10 is coming
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 12:52:48 PM »
In another thread I suggested to download it but do the installation on a separate empty disk. If the upgrade needs to be installed over an existing legal version of Windows, I can think about two alternative ways which should minimize the problems usually combined with an upgrade:

The better way is to install Windows as an evaluation version, i.e. without any license code. Just make sure to install the same version that you've got the license for. That will give you a fully legitimate Windows to upgrade from without any version specific issues causing trouble. This feature has been discussed in several newsletters and other media since the publishing of Vista, so if it still works it has to be in purpose.

If the upgrade version has to be installed over a previous version of Windows, I'd do a clean install on a fresh hard disk and activate it right away. Then, before even installing any other than network drivers, I'd do the upgrade.

The third option - yes, I said two but this doesn't fit into the category of minimized risk - would be to clone the existing hard drive and upgrade the clone. Before doing that I'd try to do everything to get a lean, clean system to start with.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 08:16:52 AM »
So do we know if Aces High works on Windows 10?

I just got my little notification by the clock to do the download when it's available.
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »
Unless Microsoft sabotaged DirectX, or all other Windows applications, it should work fine.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 09:06:50 AM »
Thanks. I will be assimilated.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 10:12:36 AM »
So do we know if Aces High works on Windows 10?

I just got my little notification by the clock to do the download when it's available.

Yes we know as I've been playing AH with Win10 since october.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 05:52:17 PM »
I'll resist it until my 'Roids bleed!

I (being a non-skuzzy-like interoperability challenged goob) would rather lick the gum wall in Seattle than experience the joy of ANOTHER Windows release...

For goodness sake, haven't we all learned from Vista, Windows 8 ... then 8.1 when the numbskulls realized that NOT EVERYONE in the world carries 4 handheld devices?

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DONT FIX IT!

there, I feel better.

-Rodent57
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 03:35:13 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:36:29 AM by Skuzzy »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 08:23:24 AM »
That's just silly!

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 08:31:27 AM »
See Rules #4
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 06:42:29 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 06:45:09 AM »
You are regurgitating marketing information as fact, again.  Not going to be drawn into a time wasting discussion, with you, about it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
You are regurgitating marketing information as fact, again.  Not going to be drawn into a time wasting discussion, with you, about it.

So Anandtech is also full of it, running the very early preview?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 10:22:35 AM »
And again, if one wants to exploit something for the purposes of showing it in a best case scenario, then it is quite easy to do.  Does that reflect reality?  No, it never has and it never will.

Have you actually done any tests to see if reality comes close to these reports?  I know you have not, as I have and they don't.  It is hit and miss, at best.  Of course, I am not going to run things for the purpose of showing a best case light.  I prefer three cases.  Best, worst, and average.  It tends to be more reflective of reality.

Now, show me a site who has done that, and then you will have something to talk about.

How many times do you have to be shown that best case scenarios never reflect the real world?  They are for wowing the ignorant so they will propagate that "fluffy" information.  Marketing at its best.

There are already real world reports, floating to the surface, showing the lack of any performance gains in many situations.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:26:16 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 02:04:41 PM »
And again, if one wants to exploit something for the purposes of showing it in a best case scenario, then it is quite easy to do.  Does that reflect reality?  No, it never has and it never will.

Have you actually done any tests to see if reality comes close to these reports?  I know you have not, as I have and they don't.  It is hit and miss, at best.  Of course, I am not going to run things for the purpose of showing a best case light.  I prefer three cases.  Best, worst, and average.  It tends to be more reflective of reality.

Now, show me a site who has done that, and then you will have something to talk about.

How many times do you have to be shown that best case scenarios never reflect the real world?  They are for wowing the ignorant so they will propagate that "fluffy" information.  Marketing at its best.

There are already real world reports, floating to the surface, showing the lack of any performance gains in many situations.

I don't have any DX12 titles to test so it's quite hard to test them. The reviewers obviously have and I doubt MS could lie very much in the publications either, they'd get sued for fraud.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 04:13:44 PM »
I don't have any DX12 titles to test so it's quite hard to test them. The reviewers obviously have and I doubt MS could lie very much in the publications either, they'd get sued for fraud.

It is not about deceit or lies.  It is marketing.  Put the best numbers you can out there, whether or not they can be realized in the real world, or not, does not matter.

If they can create one case where they can get an order of magnitude better, then they will exploit it in marketing.

This is standard stuff.

Here is how you do it.  You find a poorly coded application.  Provide engineers to re-write the code to exploit the changes made in DX, then market the crap out of that.  It is standard practice.

There are improvements in DX12, but no one is going to see a consistent ten times improvement in performance.  It will depend on the application and how things are being done.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese