Author Topic: Windows 10 is coming  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Windows 10 is coming
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 11:04:36 AM »
TBH that's probably for the best of the average home user. Unpatched windows boxes are the botnet haven. I have my Win10 boxes set to fast updates and they're working like a charm. Better that than an infected box.

It really is a bad thing, as they are not just forcing security updates, but also feature updates.  They have had a lot of problems maintaining application compatibility with those updates along with other issues which cause most people to wait until they are settled before adopting them.

That is what we do here.

Microsoft has been updating things, without our knowledge for years, but it has only impacted a narrow scope of items in the operating system.  To do it on a wholesale basis though.  They have proven to have a system updater which will not recover from a bad update, on its own.

No thank you.

It would be friendlier and less intrusive to force us to notice there are updates available and what they are for.  If a user wants to let their computer become infested with garbage, then let them.  It is not like those users are going to do what it takes to protect their computer anyway.

If this was about security, then Microsoft should alter the default security settings for the operating system. That would stop most garbage right out of the box.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:07:35 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 01:04:11 PM »
Well I guess you 1 OS guys are SOL then :D

Which is fine with me. As long as games continue to work MS can do whatever it likes as far as I'm concerned.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 03:18:41 PM »
Well I guess you 1 OS guys are SOL then :D

Which is fine with me. As long as games continue to work MS can do whatever it likes as far as I'm concerned.

I presume you mean you run Linux for non gaming use?  (As do I.)  Have you been able to do a dual boot with Win 10 or does the UEFI (sp?) mess with that?

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 05:43:38 PM »
I presume you mean you run Linux for non gaming use?  (As do I.)  Have you been able to do a dual boot with Win 10 or does the UEFI (sp?) mess with that?

I had a dual boot going with a partitioned hard drive for a while. It went well until the original OS died. After that I wasn't even able to repair the OS. Looking back now, if I had disabled the HD while the repair disk was in, everything would have been fine...  :noid

Windows 10 doesn't play nice with other operating systems and, from what I've heard is really hard to downgrade to an older OS (it can be done but is more complicated than it needs to be).

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 02:10:37 AM »

Nowadays I can also game with linux but unfortunately it comes with a performance penalty of 40-50%. I use OSX for daily office work.

You can dual boot with Windows 10 but you can't use the secure boot option then. Not a problem really.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
Recently read microsoft announced windows 10 upgrade is free for a year, then you have to pay for it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 12:09:53 PM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2015, 05:09:50 PM »
R u sure?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2015, 11:01:15 PM »
Recently read microsoft announced windows 10 upgrade is free for a year, then you have to pay for it.

That means you have one year to change to Windows 10 for free.  If you don't do it within one year, then you have to pay.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2015, 04:14:42 AM »
That means you have one year to change to Windows 10 for free.  If you don't do it within one year, then you have to pay.

Coogan

Isn't that what I said? Sorry for confusing wording.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2015, 07:10:59 AM »
So customer choice is still non existance in Microsoft :old:

All these companies Apple,Microsoft and Google are cults.

They are obssessed in giving me what I need, they are a pack of turds.

My contract on my phone is coming to a end, i have had to switch it off with the mither from the supplier calling me 4 times a day, 4 times a day.

Anyone got a dry cave for rent?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2015, 12:03:12 PM »
Isn't that what I said? Sorry for confusing wording.

Oops, Sorry Drane.  I thought you meant we could use Win 10 for a year, but then had to pay for it.   :bolt:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2015, 01:46:43 PM »
Oops, Sorry Drane.  I thought you meant we could use Win 10 for a year, but then had to pay for it.   :bolt:

Coogan

When reading it again, I could see where you're coming from. Glad you said something because now we know for sure.  :cheers:

Offline Article_86

• Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2015, 05:18:25 PM »
"Windows 10 Signifies Microsoft’s Shift in Strategy"

Definitive article in the New York Times.  The mystery seems over.  NYT on-line reader is great - I recommend.

- Art
"Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away." - Antigonish - 1899,  poet Hughes Mearns

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2015, 02:40:14 AM »
Latest news say Windows 10 home version will have forced windows update with drivers!!!! Only pro and enterprise versions have control over updates.