Author Topic: Windows 10 is coming  (Read 3988 times)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: Windows 10 is coming
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2015, 03:00:38 PM »
90-Day Free Trial of Windows 10 Enterprise:
http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-launches-free-90-day-trial-version-of-windows-10

Most of the apps that come with Windows 10 Home and Pro aren't available in the Enterprise edition. So you won't find Mail, Calendar, People, Photos, Cortana or other apps. And the Windows app store isn't available either, so you can't download apps. But despite these limitations, the Enterprise edition at least gives you a taste of Windows 10.

Haha, so they removed all the crap I don't want in my Windows 10 anyways, and Enterprise has control of when and how updates are done.

How do I legally license one copy of Windows 10 Enterprise?  Can I be an Enterprise of one, maybe four at most, some later day?
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
The first generation of HBM was limited to 4Gb and was one quarter the speed of HBM2. It's too early to draw any conclusions on that. You might as well say that because T-model Ford couldn't achieve the 200mph mark promised by todays tech, it can't be achieved.

Except I am an electrical design engineer and have plenty of background in determining what silicon can do and how it works.  Everything I have said about HBM has managed to come true, so far.

HBM's design will never provide the 100 times speed the marketing papers tout, except in rare instances, or in fixed benchmarks which are designed to bring out the best possible performance case.  If they manage to get 100 times the bandwidth then please feel free to point at this thread and remind me of what I said.

Products are shipping using HBM.  The lack of performance gained has been noted and tested very well.  Please note, AMD is the one who established the expectations they could not live up to and they knew it going out the door.

Your opinion it is going to get better is just that.  I am happy to wait and see what the next revisions show in the real world.  I do not expect much, but we will see.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:18:03 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2015, 04:10:01 PM »
Except I am an electrical design engineer and have plenty of background in determining what silicon can do and how it works.  Everything I have said about HBM has managed to come true, so far.

HBM's design will never provide the 100 times speed the marketing papers tout, except in rare instances, or in fixed benchmarks which are designed to bring out the best possible performance case.  If they manage to get 100 times the bandwidth then please feel free to point at this thread and remind me of what I said.

Products are shipping using HBM.  The lack of performance gained has been noted and tested very well.  Please note, AMD is the one who established the expectations they could not live up to and they knew it going out the door.

Your opinion it is going to get better is just that.  I am happy to wait and see what the next revisions show in the real world.  I do not expect much, but we will see.

Since both AMD and Nvidia are betting on HBM on their future high performance models it's pretty safe to say the first generation products were launched prematurely and were a disappointment. Nvidia probably realised that because they held untill hbm2 for their release. AMD being the underdog wanted to cash in the free publicity of being the first to use HBM even though they probably realized it was going to dog out.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2015, 04:20:58 PM »
HBM saves money on real estate, making it a no-brainer to go to as long as the performance is the same, or better, than other technologies.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:03 PM »
Reminds me of the IBM magnetic core memory plane to SLT design innovation that eventually went in this same direction.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.