Author Topic: Windows 10 is coming  (Read 4031 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Windows 10 is coming
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2015, 03:45:02 PM »
There is an update which will allow people to block updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

It remains to be seen if Microsoft is going to allow this to continue to work after Windows 10 goes live.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline charlton1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »
Meh, just stop using windows, it's terribile in every single way. You could never control what windows does, the whole operating system is proprietary so it can never give you full control over what it does. Now instead of paying money for this nonfree software, Microsoft uses you to collect data and sells it to advertisers(really anyone willing to pay for your data and perhaps the NSA gets a special deal). Effectively and literally Microsoft is changing it's business model to reflect more on Google's. Windows doesn't get spyware, it is spyware. Windows doesn't have users, it has useds. Not to mention how technically inferior it is to other operating systems. It's just now getting out of the box disk encryption and disk compression support and just now getting OpenSSH support after more than 15 years later. Advertising desktop workspaces as a new feature in 2015 is joke, how can you take the crap seriously? I have been using virtual desktops or workspaces in GNU/Linux for over a decade now. BSD also had this.

Read this: https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/
Microsoft's privacy statement: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx
Microsoft's service agreement: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/servicesagreement/default.aspx

My guess is that the only way to prevent windows from phoning home is to block all network connections or filter them, but either way you will not recieve updates. The network traffic is likely to be encrypted so it would be impossible to see what data is being sent to microsoft even if you monitor all of it with wireshark. It was once possible to manually download the patches without phoning home to microsoft but it is probably impossible now, it would be too much work to do anyway. I doubt anyone still does this. Though imo it doesn't make any sense to care that the updates are forced when the software already installed is already enough force to care about. And even if there isn't any backdoor currently present in windows today there can be tomorrow. But of course we already know that windows having intentional backdoors is irrelevent when they already help the NSA exploit known flaws in windows so that they can spy on people. We know this as fact thanks to Edward Snowden who released the documents that proved it: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

This makes anyone using Microsoft Windows or services a sucker or a willful moron. Of course, all this could be applied to Mac OS and the i-things as well, even Ubuntu as some spyware in it(although it is much less). And there are many other platforms that abuse you as well, but Windows 10 might the worse yet, though it is in tuff competition with iphones and Android isn't much better(only ever so slightly). The best thing to do is just to avoid these companies entirely because they have only been getting worse. It's like trying to get your friend to quit smoking by buying him cigarettes. By continuing to be their useds, they will have no incentive to change and all the more to continue to abuse you.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2015, 04:24:46 PM »
So if you don't suggest using Windows, OSX, or Ubuntu, what DO you suggest?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
So if you don't suggest using Windows, OSX, or Ubuntu, what DO you suggest?

MS-DOS 4.0   :old:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »
MS-DOS 4.0   :old:

Coogan

I still have a bootable MS-DOS 6.1 disc at home.  Still works.  You would not believe how fast it is. lol!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2015, 01:17:21 AM »
Meh, just stop using windows, it's terribile in every single way. You could never control what windows does, the whole operating system is proprietary so it can never give you full control over what it does. Now instead of paying money for this nonfree software, Microsoft uses you to collect data and sells it to advertisers(really anyone willing to pay for your data and perhaps the NSA gets a special deal). Effectively and literally Microsoft is changing it's business model to reflect more on Google's. Windows doesn't get spyware, it is spyware. Windows doesn't have users, it has useds. Not to mention how technically inferior it is to other operating systems. It's just now getting out of the box disk encryption and disk compression support and just now getting OpenSSH support after more than 15 years later. Advertising desktop workspaces as a new feature in 2015 is joke, how can you take the crap seriously? I have been using virtual desktops or workspaces in GNU/Linux for over a decade now. BSD also had this.

Read this: https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/
Microsoft's privacy statement: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx
Microsoft's service agreement: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/servicesagreement/default.aspx

My guess is that the only way to prevent windows from phoning home is to block all network connections or filter them, but either way you will not recieve updates. The network traffic is likely to be encrypted so it would be impossible to see what data is being sent to microsoft even if you monitor all of it with wireshark. It was once possible to manually download the patches without phoning home to microsoft but it is probably impossible now, it would be too much work to do anyway. I doubt anyone still does this. Though imo it doesn't make any sense to care that the updates are forced when the software already installed is already enough force to care about. And even if there isn't any backdoor currently present in windows today there can be tomorrow. But of course we already know that windows having intentional backdoors is irrelevent when they already help the NSA exploit known flaws in windows so that they can spy on people. We know this as fact thanks to Edward Snowden who released the documents that proved it: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

This makes anyone using Microsoft Windows or services a sucker or a willful moron. Of course, all this could be applied to Mac OS and the i-things as well, even Ubuntu as some spyware in it(although it is much less). And there are many other platforms that abuse you as well, but Windows 10 might the worse yet, though it is in tuff competition with iphones and Android isn't much better(only ever so slightly). The best thing to do is just to avoid these companies entirely because they have only been getting worse. It's like trying to get your friend to quit smoking by buying him cigarettes. By continuing to be their useds, they will have no incentive to change and all the more to continue to abuse you.

If the 'spyware' you refer to in Ubuntu is zeitgeist, that can be uninstalled with a single command. And it's not even installed by default to anything but vanilla Ubuntu. Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate etc. do not have zeitgeist by default.

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2015, 03:30:56 AM »
Amd developers seem to be really excited about DirectX12 that ships with Windows 10. They claim you can get 100  times improvement on certain tasks on existing hardware.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2015, 06:29:08 AM »
Amd developers seem to be really excited about DirectX12 that ships with Windows 10. They claim you can get 100  times improvement on certain tasks on existing hardware.

They also claimed HBM memory would deliver 100 times the bandwidth and that did not happen either.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2015, 06:58:36 AM »
Even if both 100x claims were true, the big question would be if they will ever be taken into production. A couple of decades ago Matsushita launched a new floppy drive that could store a whopping 32 Mb on a single inexpensive disk. Has any of you ever used or even seen one?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
Even if both 100x claims were true, the big question would be if they will ever be taken into production. A couple of decades ago Matsushita launched a new floppy drive that could store a whopping 32 Mb on a single inexpensive disk. Has any of you ever used or even seen one?

My school had a couple of those lying around, I wasn't allowed to play with them though...  :cry

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2015, 11:21:32 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:46:00 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2015, 11:23:32 AM »

Not that, but similar.  At my old job (when I first joined these forums), I was working IT for a small research pharmaceutical lab.  80ish employees, two IT staff.  My boss decided we needed to have read-only files on the network, so that we could prove to any future FDA inspectors that files haven't been changed, in accordance with our QA director's interpretation of 21 CFR part 11.  They decided that marking files read only wasn't good enough, they wanted physically unchangable files. 

I recommended burning files to CDs placed into banks of SCSI CD-ROM drives in a networked server, but my boss wanted an alternative recommendation as well.  I made Castlewood Orb Drives as the alternate, but strongly suggested the CD-ROM solution.  He decided to go with the Orb Drives.  It was unwieldy, proprietary, would get "stuck" frequently and require a power cycle, and would never benefit from the economies of scale that CD-R would, so was vastly more expensive.  Eventually the QA director relented and allowed files to be placed as read-only on the network and I put those damn drives in a cardboard box to be forgotten about.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »
Ok, a new try without remarks about...

In the best-case scenario HBM2 memory chips will feature 8GB capacity (8Hi stack) with 256GB/s bandwidth (2Gb/s data rate, 1024-bit bus). Such HBM2 devices will let developers of graphics processing units to build graphics adapters with 32GB of onboard memory and incredible 1TB/s peak bandwidth. Nvidia Corp. has already announced that its next-generation code-named “Pascal” graphics processing architecture will support up to 32GB of HBM2. Mainstream HBM2 ICs will likely sport 2GB (2Hi stack) or 4GB (4Hi stack) capacities with 1.6Gb/s data rate (204.8GB/s bandwidth per chip), which should be more than enough for high-performance graphics cards in 2016.

The Titan X has 336Gb/s bandwith so this second iteration of HBM is already 3 times faster and future revisions will with no doubt achieve the promised 100x bandwidth. Imagine loading game levels with 30 gigabytes of textures using a regular hdd - your levels will literally load for hours lol.

Both AMD and Nvidia have announced they will switch to HBM in their future high-end architectures.

Now, with Intels announcement of functioning 3D X-point memory which is shown to boost endurance up to 1000x and speed up to 1000x compared to old SSD solutions, things look really interesting. Basically in the future a computer wouldn't require a separate hard drive and ram, you could access the solid state drive at ram speeds (if even NVMe would be fast enough for that). The bus will be the limiting factor for some time.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:28:49 PM by GSakis »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2015, 02:27:41 PM »
First off, the HBM numbers are not fixed and are going to vary.  The hardware design will work best when data is read/written in a very sequential manner.  This is not something anyone or any driver has control over.  It is seldom the data will be loaded in the exact order it will be drawn in.

We have already seen real world results which indicate HBM is not a huge factor in performance.  That is to be expected, regardless of what the marketing papers say.

Now, the Intel/Micron memory chips (looks a lot like a memristor) show far more promise.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
First off, the HBM numbers are not fixed and are going to vary.  The hardware design will work best when data is read/written in a very sequential manner.  This is not something anyone or any driver has control over.  It is seldom the data will be loaded in the exact order it will be drawn in.

We have already seen real world results which indicate HBM is not a huge factor in performance.  That is to be expected, regardless of what the marketing papers say.

Now, the Intel/Micron memory chips (looks a lot like a memristor) show far more promise.

The first generation of HBM was limited to 4Gb and was one quarter the speed of HBM2. It's too early to draw any conclusions on that. You might as well say that because T-model Ford couldn't achieve the 200mph mark promised by todays tech, it can't be achieved.