Author Topic: Steam  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Interceptor

• Copper Member
Steam
« on: June 04, 2015, 07:30:44 PM »
"Warbirds" :noid  just showed up on Steam, might be a good idea to get there too : Millions of potential players-customers there, HTC...! :aok

Do u have a plan already, or maybe u are waiting for Aces High3 version coming? :joystick:

Plz tell us !!!!! :pray

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Steam
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »
Will the potential numbers it might bring be worth the cost on going on Steam?  Steam takes 30% of all financial transactions, so HTC would have to pay 30% to Valve on every subscription for the Steam version of AH every month.  If the new AH update includes micro-transactions, Steam will take 30% off each of those purchases as well.

Also, as a lot of developers of online games have found out, Steam isn't the Promised Land.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wizz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 01:55:34 AM »
Will the potential numbers it might bring be worth the cost on going on Steam?  Steam takes 30% of all financial transactions, so HTC would have to pay 30% to Valve on every subscription for the Steam version of AH every month.  If the new AH update includes micro-transactions, Steam will take 30% off each of those purchases as well.

Also, as a lot of developers of online games have found out, Steam isn't the Promised Land.

ack-ack

steam is not the promised land

Steam is a gold mine of fast cash flow, boosted numbers, and fresh meat  :devil
393rd Bombardment Squadron

CO-Fine
XO-KO

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 04:25:36 AM »
I think that I would be fine with paying a bit more per month. Especially if it might increase the number of players. I hear several folk talking about the good old days with 600 plus in the arenas. That would be something special for me as I missed those good old days. Maybe not steam but if there is a way, I am game :devil
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 05:26:43 AM »
Steam is a gold mine of fast cash flow, boosted numbers, and fresh meat  :devil

There have been a lot of developers, especially small developers, that have found out the hard way that it's not necessarily true.  Steam is no guarantee of new players or cash, especially if there is nothing in the game that compels the player to stay.

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 07:18:07 AM »
I would just sit back and observe what happens with Warbirds on Steam. And...I agree with what AKAK said.
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:59:56 AM »
Its been two years since I flown Aces, I've been itching to come back every day, but the current loss of subscribers and no update has me kind of sitting around waiting. Steam would not motivate me to jump back in Aces - I think it would just help generate a few more players - however as AkAk pointed its not the promise land... Aces High has a steep learning curve, it might do more harm then good considering many just want to "point and click" as dayz standalone found out, many flocked to H1Z thinking it was the promise land only to get reamed by cheaters 24/7.

DayZ has the same problem as Aces - were all waiting for the final product, however many wondered off to other games for now as I have. I've always been a fan of Aces, critical in some areas (gameplay) but I think it would fair well on Steam.

I built this computer I am on now mainly because of Aces High; even bought a thrustmaster Warthog which only was used for three months - I think that says more then enough itself.
JG 52

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 08:50:26 AM »
Steam would pretty much permanently end AH for me. To put it bluntly, Steam is a huge pile of manure.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 08:58:40 AM »
I would just sit back and observe what happens with Warbirds on Steam. And...I agree with what AKAK said.

Because I haven't looked at Warbirds in over 10 years:

Is Warbirds comparable to AH2?  Or AH3?

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »
AH1
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 02:33:57 PM »
I can't believe warbirds still exists
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 03:17:31 PM »
I can't believe warbirds still exists

When I left, the only reason I could see it still had enough subs to keep going was the S3 (kinda like FSO).  There were (and likely still are) a lot of players that maintain their sub for that, and that alone.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 03:56:25 PM »
Heh, what AkAk said.  Read the Warbirds steam forum for some laughs.  It is nothing more than a death rattle attempt by unWild Bill to stave off the inevitable. 

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 06:07:46 PM »
Heh, what AkAk said.  Read the Warbirds steam forum for some laughs.  It is nothing more than a death rattle attempt by unWild Bill to stave off the inevitable.

Holy crap.... I just seen a video posted by someone who bought the game and posted a video of it... the gameplay video posted on Steam looks pretty nice; however the actual in game footage however..... Lets just say I had a hard time figuring out what plane the person was flying until I realized after 1 minute it was probably a P-38...

Its on par with late Aces High 1 graphics.... Oh and for anyone not wanting to bother looking at the comments; wow what a..... bad move by them. They posted the game was single player for one, ALSO they do not list the game as subscription based. I can tell you with the Steam Refund now in effect, anyone who bought the game will likely seek a refund. They don't advertise "30 days free" or its a subscription based; however they do charge you $15 out the door, if you can figure that part out (milking every last dollar I'm guessing).

/I opened DosBox a few days ago to show my wife Aces of the Pacific and she laughed and couldn't figure out how I could distinguish the aircrafts from pixels; Lets just say I had the same problem with the warbirds video.
I would say anyone wanting to complain about graphics do a side by side comparison, but that's their choice to do so.

JG 52

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 02:26:07 AM »
Its been two years since I flown Aces, I've been itching to come back every day, but the current loss of subscribers and no update has me kind of sitting around waiting.
You do realize that you're partially responsible of that said loss, don't you? War does not long for one man, but if a thousand people keep procrastinating, we've lost a regiment.   
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni