Author Topic: the new tower  (Read 3324 times)

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
the new tower
« on: June 06, 2015, 06:06:06 PM »
parts on the way

Corsair Carbide Series Spec-02 Red Led Mid-tower Gaming Case

Intel Core i7-4790K Processor - Quad Core, 4.0GHz, 8MB Cache, Up to 4.40 GHz, 2 Memory Channels, 16 Max PCI Express Lane

Sea Sonic Electronics X-850(SS-850KM Active PFC F3) 850W 80 Plus Gold ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply

MSI Z97-GAMING 5 Motherboard - ATX, Intel Z97 Express, LGA1150 Socket, 1600MHz DDR3, Gigabit Ethernet, 8-Channel HD Audi

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Cooling Fan/Heatsink - 1 x 120 mm - 2000 rpm - Long Life Sleeve Bearing - So

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R (Red)

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked Graphics Card 06G-P4-4992-KR

Samsung MZ-75E250B/AM 850 EVO Series 250GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD10EFRX 1TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Sony Optiarc High Speed DVD RW Drive 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model 5280S-CB-PLUS

Corsair Air Series CO-9050016-RLED 120mm Red LED Case Fan – Twin Pack Case Fans

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional with SP1 64-bit Operating System (PC)

total cost including shipping and tax 2017.98
 all the parts are on the way so the mountain of boxes will be next . i also ordered a static wrist strap for assembly and have a ton of cable ties.

any feedback is welcome

1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: the new tower
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »
Absolutely nothing there that can really be criticized IMO.  Nice build, good quality parts.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 12:11:23 AM »
Nice build.

Get out a drill, file set and possibly a dremel and spend time with the case, psu and components before you begin to get a clean, mostly wire free build.  It could take as long as the rest of the build but you'll be glad you did it.  Usually there's enough space between the motherboard tray and outside case panel to route wiring out of the way.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 03:33:54 AM »
Nice build.

Get out a drill, file set and possibly a dremel and spend time with the case, psu and components before you begin to get a clean, mostly wire free build.  It could take as long as the rest of the build but you'll be glad you did it.  Usually there's enough space between the motherboard tray and outside case panel to route wiring out of the way.
By the images I found in the 'net it looks like there's plenty of holes in the motherboard tray, so there's probably no need for modification. The PSU is also fully modular to eliminate unnecessary cables.

I'm curious: I understand the need of making holes into some cases for neater wiring, but what are you referring to by suggesting to "spend time with the --- psu and components" using a drill, file and a dremel? The only thing I could think of is using wire cutters for cutting off the extra connectors from the hdd and odd power cables.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:56:35 AM »
I'm curious: I understand the need of making holes into some cases for neater wiring, but what are you referring to by suggesting to "spend time with the --- psu and components" using a drill, file and a dremel?

The drill, files and dremel are for case modifications once you've laid out all the components and know where all the wiring needs to go.

I have a modular psu and had holes in my case but I still had to cut a slot up near the drive bays to feed the hard drives and gpu and drill a hole for my rear fan wiring.  Just saying it's better to lay things out so you know where to drill than getting it wrong.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 04:51:34 AM »
Ah, OK. I understood you were suggesting drilling and dremeling the psu and other components, too, instead of only the case. Like shortening a long video card... Thanks for the clarification!  :salute

For those who dare, here's a link to an ancient Swedish tech site, where I learned most of my case modding tricks: http://web.archive.org/web/20061012051854/http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_desktop1.php
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 07:06:09 AM »
The drill, files and dremel are for case modifications once you've laid out all the components and know where all the wiring needs to go.

I have a modular psu and had holes in my case but I still had to cut a slot up near the drive bays to feed the hard drives and gpu and drill a hole for my rear fan wiring.  Just saying it's better to lay things out so you know where to drill than getting it wrong.

If you need to start cutting holes to your case you bought a bad case. Check the reviews of Fractal Design R5 for example - you won't need to buy a dremel.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 08:37:04 AM »
Mikey,

Here are some hints I can give you..seeing the PSU and case... BTW you will love the flat cables...

1. Pre plan the cable runs, in other words place them where you think they would work. Then and only then zip tie them down. Zip ties are your friend.

2. Don't be afraid to cut the zip ties to add more cables to a bunch already tied down.

3. Start with 24 pin then vid card then 8 pin on MB then go to disc drive then to HD'd ... check recheck and triple check that everything is connected.

4. Test the fit of the back of the case when the cables are loose... if it fits with a little pressure it will fit with when everything is ties down.

5. Use only the cabling you are going to use. Too many cables resting on the bottom of the case doesn't look good.

6. Take your time and have fun when it gets built..

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »
Looks Great!!

That is almost an exact duplicate of what I just built, I think you will enjoy it. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 12:39:58 PM »
Mikey,

Here are some hints I can give you..seeing the PSU and case... BTW you will love the flat cables...

1. Pre plan the cable runs, in other words place them where you think they would work. Then and only then zip tie them down. Zip ties are your friend.

2. Don't be afraid to cut the zip ties to add more cables to a bunch already tied down.

3. Start with 24 pin then vid card then 8 pin on MB then go to disc drive then to HD'd ... check recheck and triple check that everything is connected.

4. Test the fit of the back of the case when the cables are loose... if it fits with a little pressure it will fit with when everything is ties down.

5. Use only the cabling you are going to use. Too many cables resting on the bottom of the case doesn't look good.

6. Take your time and have fun when it gets built..

LawnDart

1 of the nice things about it is i have 6 different color ties to help sort and color code . the big issue for me will be recognizing which cables go to where, but time and pics i will put on this thread will  give you guys a chance to assist me in my first complete build. thank you  for all the input

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 12:28:56 AM »
 have an issue . apparently my MB has only 3 4 pin fan connections not counting the 2 cpu connections . the case comes with 2 fans and i ordered a twin pack of case fans leaving me with no place for the 4 th fan  any ideas?
  another issue is the 2 usb3 ports on the front of the case and only 1 usb 3 connection on the MB can i use this ?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815256001

Or something like this

http://www.moddiy.com/products/20%252dPin-USB-3.0-Internal-Header-Y-Splitter-Cable-%2812cm%29.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:49:24 AM by mikev »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 01:53:14 AM »
If you only use one CPU fan, you can use the other connector for a case fan. The motherboard can't see where the other fan is, it only sees it rotating.

If your motherboard doesn't have enough fan connectors, get a fan controller like these: Comparison for the five cheapest on Newegg. Basically a three pin splitter cable would do the trick especially with identical fans, but since the fourth pin is for speed/noise controlling, a controller would do that, too.

As for the front panel USB 3 ports, you could use the item you linked, but you don't need it. The motherboard USB connectors are usually for two ports as is the case in JUSB-3, too.  As the manual says: 6x USB 3.0 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 2 ports available through the internal USB 3.0 connectors). USB3 uses 10 pins compared to the 5 of USB2, so a 20 pin connector is for two cables (count the two empty pinholes as pins).

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 01:58:11 AM by Bizman »

Kotisivuni

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 02:55:30 AM »
 lol Bizman what would i do with out you   :salute . as you can see i do my homework making sure i have answers to anything i find . i have already downloaded the manual for the motherboard and the power supply . never thought to use the cpu #2 connector and figured the usb3 was for only 1 . (the supports 2) i figured meant you can use a splitter.
  another thing i did was change the ram to a low profile ram due to the large cpu cooler. this way i have no fear of interference.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233399

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 03:39:48 AM »
Isn't there a printed booklet anymore with the motherboard? Plus a driver cd containing the same as pdf?

Kotisivuni

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 04:56:07 AM »
 yes there is i just downloaded it so i have a chance to see how the connections are setup and can be prepared for any possible problems before all the parts arrive.