Author Topic: A perspective on Aces High then and now.  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
Re: A perspective on Aces High then and now.
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2015, 05:58:22 PM »
Splitting arenas is when numbers dropped.  Lets go back to 1 MA,  and try what was good again.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2015, 06:04:26 PM »
Splitting arenas is when numbers dropped.  Lets go back to 1 MA,  and try what was good again.

We do have effectively just one MA.
The single LW arena is practically uncapped and most of the time about everybody is there. All other "main' arenas get around 5% of the gameplay time in total.
Not that I'd have a problem with that personally, but you wouldn't notice a shutdown of all other arenas in the MA at all.

Oh and by the way, the player numbers did rise after the big arena split for almost 1 1/2 years, evcen though it was so hated by many players. Me included ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 06:06:29 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 01:21:50 AM »
Ill go ahead and add my version I guess.

I jumped aboard in tour Feb-Mar 2003 but as far back as I can look back on my old call signs and the logs I cant find anything before tour 66 07/01/05-07/31/05, but I still believe it was 2003. Doobs 1177 nickle betty triumph 68KO Yoda Marlin Daddyack and tons more to add to the list that either arent with us any more R.I.P. or just dont play anymore. I was still in my 2week trial when i joined up with Armed and Hammered 2003?

Anyways I was a 13yr old squeaker and didnt know my arse from a hole in the ground. Anybody who saw me struggling would offer to take me to the DA and help me. They would let me ride along while they fought someone and tell me what/when/how they are doing things then let me apply what I learned and critique me. After some time I left them and joined the JG44 Night Hawks which at the time would have no less than 30 pilots on during prime time, the old towns were still being used and we would always run 110s NOE for base takes this was around 2005. I remember the 2 LW arenas and Titanic Tuesdays. There were still chest thumpers and smack talk but it wasnt taken the way it is these days, less whines maybe? I dunno. I do notice that the community has changed but I wouldnt say it isnt less fun or any worse, Then again changes depended on how YOU can adapt and handle them.

Steal the sheepz...hmm I dont really know how it will affect the game over all. I do hope it pulls newbies in and they "graduate" to the MAs. But at the same time I dont like the idea of opening another arena that could potentially pull what few there are away from the war. However, if the new update draws in new players it could balance out or infact grow back to the glory days when you had to keep trying to get into orange arena to fly with your squaddies.

I do look forward to the changes and hope for the best. The community will always be changing we just have to learn to adapt to what is changing in order to enjoy it. <S> 49Boob

OH and Deli! what happened to Silat?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I miss his cross dressing antics and P38s mastery :( he was a friend that I enjoyed flying with
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 11:42:18 AM »
Oh and by the way, the player numbers did rise after the big arena split for almost 1 1/2 years, evcen though it was so hated by many players. Me included ;)

This is one way of interpreting it, but another would be that -prior- to the splitting of the Main Arena the numbers
had been rising and the "split" was to accomodate that increase. The implementation of the split arenas
was a very poor decision on HTC's part; it killed off a lot of the old, established squads in AH and for many
pilots , the squads were the main reason they played the game.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 11:46:47 AM »
  This is one way of interpreting it, but another would be that -prior- to the splitting of the Main Arena the numbers
had been rising and the "split" was to accomodate that increase. The implementation of the split arenas
was a very poor decision on HTC's part; it killed off a lot of the old, established squads in AH and for many
pilots , the squads were the main reason they played the game.

You are entitled to your opinion but not your facts. Prior to the arena split the AH numbers had  STOPPED rising. It was only after the split that AH started growing again.

HiTech

Offline Wax

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 02:35:40 PM »
I haven't posted in a long time, but doggone you Hajo you've made me look up my login info and start typing again.

Thanks for a great post and the remembrance of days long past.

After reading this I may chisel off the dust from the old Microsoft Precision 2 and resubscribe with the advent of the new version.

Best Regards, Hajo <<S>>

Sun

P.S.
           I miss Wax.  :cry
.  I see the good old day are still gone...
Sunshine sunny 😀
Army of Muppets
 Make this real...the only muppet I have any respect for is Fester. Rest of you muppets can swab my sweat. Trikky

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 03:22:50 PM »
WAXXXXXX!!! it's me.......Max!

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
You are entitled to your opinion but not your facts. Prior to the arena split the AH numbers had  STOPPED rising. It was only after the split that AH started growing again.
HiTech

If the split arenas engendered growth, then I ask why it was discontinued?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2015, 03:36:50 PM »

What?

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2015, 03:44:25 PM »
What?

HiTech

I had to look up that word as well  :D

I think they didn't create growth, but made it possible to grow past a certain level where the single MA setup seems to have been limited it.
But of course, when the numbers fell back years later, the split setup wasn't necessary anymore (and, after a certain point even hurting, IMHO)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2015, 04:21:20 PM »
I think they didn't create growth, but made it possible to grow past a certain level where the single MA setup seems to have been limited it.
But of course, when the numbers fell back years later, the split setup wasn't necessary anymore (and, after a certain point even hurting, IMHO)

All of which leads me to believe that the arena split had nothing to do either with growth or with contraction.  I vividly remember the screeching and poo-flinging when the arenas were split, yet population grew.  I recall also the "thank goodness we have one arena again!" comments when the split was ended, yet population declined.  Suggests that focusing on the split was a waste of time.

- oldman

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2015, 04:42:00 PM »
What?
HiTech

Hitech,
  First off I'm not tryin' to yank your chain here. Your initial repsonse seemed to indicate to me that
the split arenas -built up- the player base. My follow-up was that if this was so, why do we now only
have one Main Arena rather than the Orange and Whatever-color-the-other-one-was?

Regards, Oddball

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2015, 04:49:15 PM »

All of which leads me to believe that the arena split had nothing to do either with growth or with contraction

To me it seems we still would have the decline we have seen over the past years, but we also wouldn't have seen the record numbers of late 2006 to early 2008 (even though as a Euro primetime player I could have done without them, as the cap kicking in at 19:00 was a horrible thing for us)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »
Hitech,
  First off I'm not tryin' to yank your chain here. Your initial repsonse seemed to indicate to me that
the split arenas -built up- the player base. My follow-up was that if this was so, why do we now only
have one Main Arena rather than the Orange and Whatever-color-the-other-one-was?

Regards, Oddball

The What was because I read engendered as endangered and hence was confused. Only after Lusches comment did I see it correctly.

And Lusche describe the situations accurately.

HiTech