Author Topic: First Brit F35Bd take off from Ski Jump  (Read 675 times)

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
First Brit F35Bd take off from Ski Jump
« on: June 23, 2015, 03:59:31 PM »
http://theaviationist.com/2015/06/23/f-35b-first-ski-jump-launch/

Dodgy Buggahs only had a 360p camera, but good enough to see that it works.  The Brits hopefully will finish both, not just one of those new QE class bird farms, and hopefully the F35B turns out to be capable enough to make it worth all the hullabalu.  It's actually a British pilot in one of the USMC's planes, but whatever.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
Re: First Brit F35Bd take off from Ski Jump
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:12:25 PM »
Fake. A LM marketing stunt to divert attention from their chemtrail program.  :aok
No gods or kings. Only Predator.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 04:19:08 PM »
I claim that the F-35 would do a lot better if they had skiped the B version. I really dont see any reason for having it, if the MC so badly need CAS, use the Air Force, Navy or helicopters. Buliding a super duper stealth fighter just to put it were it can be picked down by a 23mm gun is not the best way to use it.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »
Zimme, when you're over at the SwAF giving them my recommendations on training loadouts you could ask them to relay your recommendations to the USMC. I'm sure they'll welcome any input you have on the matter.  :aok

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »
I was more thinking about the guys in Washington, the MC of course tries to get all the toys thay can get. But right now im busy with fixing the Greece budget crisis so it have to wait.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 04:45:02 PM »
Ditching the Harrier left a massive gap in close air support resources, I just hope the F35 isn't as much of a white elephant on the modern battlefield as the Typhoon is
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 04:54:05 PM »
I was more thinking about the guys in Washington, the MC of course tries to get all the toys thay can get. But right now im busy with fixing the Greece budget crisis so it have to wait.

Yeah, you can't be expected to deal with everything.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 06:41:57 PM »
"Camelot!"

"Camelot!"

"Camelot!"

"(It's only a model...)"
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 02:19:40 AM »
AFAIR Harrier ski-jump takeoff, the nozzles at the beginning pointed directly afterward such that most of the thrust goes for maximal possible acceleration and at some air-speed the nozzles jump to a predefined angled position giving both thrust and lift (it happens close to the point the aircraft lives the ski-jump) thus you have maximal acceleration.

In the video F-35B has nozzle pointed at almost 45 degrees and working at maximal dry thrust - it gives quite poor acceleration. (also it looks like they do the same on flattop Wasp)

Interesting if it is just for a first test or it would be an ordinary procedure as it would virtually nullify all ski-jump advantages.

Take a look on these beautiful takeoffs:

Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 10:39:03 AM »
Damn I thought it was going to involve an actual ski jump ramp.

Some related news.

http://theweek.com/articles/561682/americas-trilliondollar-warplane-just-caught-fire
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »
At the risk of appearing dumb, the quick google I did pretty much confirmed what I expected I would find, that the ski jump launch has no advantage I can see to the catapult.  Why do they do this?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »
At the risk of appearing dumb, the quick google I did pretty much confirmed what I expected I would find, that the ski jump launch has no advantage I can see to the catapult.  Why do they do this?

Wiley.

The primary advantage is that you don't need a catapult.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 11:22:20 AM »
The primary advantage is that you don't need a catapult.

But you've gone to the effort to build a boat to launch airplanes.  Why would you not put a catapult on it?  I guess it's simpler, that makes some sense, but it just seems an odd thing to economize on to me.  *shrug*

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
On a small carrier a catapult would be very limiting on launch operations. With a ski jump the aircraft can take off in quick succession.